Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What to get???

00 Offline matty78943

What to get???
on: December 18, 2016, 05:52:52 PM
ok so christmass is coming up (merry christmas to all of you guys and gals) and i have decided my huntsman is lonely and am debating on what to get next.

i have whittled it down to either a deluxe tinker, handyman or swisschamp.

my situation is that i am a student in the uk (which dont have the best knife laws) so i normally have my huntsman on my but when i go into the city i swich to my minichamp (on my keys, on a chain) and now im thinking of expanding my collection.

Reasons:

deluxe tinker - ive always like this and it is the "smallest" of these 3 and the least expensive
handyman - its the middle option, it has more than the DT and less unneeded things than the swisschamp
swisschamp - i mean come on, its a swisschamp!

so what you fellow swiss army knights go for?

(im going to buy and have bought from --> http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/home.php)

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What to get???
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:20:49 PM
That is a tough one.
You already have a great knife in the Huntsman, plus you have your keychain carry Mini-Champ.
 :think: If you're looking to expand your collection, of the ones you mention, I'd likely go Swiss Champ.
It's their flagship model I think.  It's quite fun to behold all those tools in a relatively compact knife, though it will seem larger next to your Huntsman.

Let me see if I can get a photo of my Swiss Champ next to a Huntsman.
Be back in a sec.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

What to get???
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:27:33 PM
Pics of Huntsman with Swiss Champ:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:28:47 PM by FolderBeholder »

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 07:45:17 PM
hmm... seems not as thick as first imagined so a likely contender!

are there any cons/downsides/problems you have with it?

either british racing green or black scales i think i am going to go for

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 07:49:17 PM
hmm... seems not as thick as first imagined so a likely contender!

are there any cons/downsides/problems you have with it?

either british racing green or black scales i think i am going to go for

Only downside for me is it's not pocket carry comfortable for my tastes.  That's why I prefer 5 layers or less for pocket carry.
It's not really a downside because these usually come with sheaths or have sheaths available for them.

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:22 PM
i dont really mind size/weight as i always wear jeans which normally have big pockets or it can sit in a jacket pocket so so worries there although the only thing i have against the swisschamp is haviing to memorise where everything is!  :D

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
True...I haven't done that yet either.  :cheers:
I'm hoping you'll get some more input.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 08:29:59 PM
I chose I Swisschamp because I craved for one for months.
Slightly regreted not getting a Cybertool 41 afterworths, but it'll be added later on for sure (I think in 2017)

Why did I choose a Swisschamp?
It has it all...
I was always torn between my Huntsman and Mountaineer: woodsaw vs metalsaw.
Most likely wouldn't need any of those, but still...

So I wanted a SAK with both.
In that perspective, a Handyman is very nice too.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 08:38:28 PM
you just need some pics, don't you?  :drool:

Go for it!!!

It's not the Swisschamp for nothing
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:44:23 PM
I've carried a Deluxe Tinker for years and love it. 

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 09:25:36 PM
Downside to SwissChamp: The large blade, depending on your hand anatomy, can be tricky to open. The knuckle of my thumb touches against the top of the other tools while I'm trying to get my thumbnail into the nail nick. I generally use my index finger instead. Not a  huge problem. Plus it's a little unwieldy when using the blades or saws since the knife is so wide. I have long alien fingers so I handle it ok.

I've really fallen in love with my Craftsman, which I purchased on a whim. The size is a nice compromise between Champ and the smaller knives. As you know the Handyman is the same knife as Craftsman except with a corkscrew instead of backside phillips. So the size is the same. However the corkscrews do protrude slightly more and on some pouches, my SwissChamp's corkscrew kind of gets snagged going in (very minor). The Craftsman has a solid feel in the hand with the smooth phillips on there.

But for use I much prefer the inline Phillips. I dont use my Matterhorn (same as Deluxe tinker but with a silly looking blade) very much except for the pliers when I'm near all my SAKs and just need to grab one for the pliers. I've come to rely on files a lot so knives without a file don't get used much.

Of the models you mentioned, based on what you already have, I vote for SwissChamp. Everybody needs one!

And about metal saw vs wood saw, Huntsman vs Mountaineer, that's easily solved by buying a Ranger!
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

fi Offline Padre

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 09:39:21 PM
Always go the smallest one I say. Swissxhamp sure looks sweet, but if you are looking for user friendy/easy to carry tool go for more minimalistic model. Also you could get two sweet models with less tools with the same price. ;)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 10:51:16 PM
I agree with James. If you are not diehard about having the pliers, go Ranger. If you are looking for the most bang, then you won't be happy unless you go Swisschamp. I have yet to buy a SAK with the pliers, but if or when I do it will probably be a cheap used model. That way if I don't like them I'm not out a bunch of clams for something I won't carry.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 01:17:06 AM
The Deluxe Tinker is a nice choice if the toolset works for you. Personally, I'm not a fan of the SAK pliers, and prefer something a little more robust (separate pliers tool). I also prefer the CT41 over the Swisschamp.

Another one for you to consider - a Compact. I frequently carry a modded DofE which is essentially the same thing with a Phillips instead of corkscrew (it also loses the pen) and I just reground the round nosed blade to a sheepsfoot profile so I had a scoring point.

As an aside, Coloswiss in the US placed an order with that company a couple of months ago, and I ended up having to make several phone calls kicking their arse when the parcel went missing. No emails, no returned calls, none of the info I was promised unless I called them. Very sloppy. It all got sorted in the end, but I was less than impressed with their customer service.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:41 AM
All of 'em!  :D 8)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline docfossil

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 03:15:18 AM
The first thing I will say is that if you want the SwissChamp, get it. If you don't you will regret your decision until you get one.

Since I was a teen, I did not like the largest of the SAKs as I found them hard to handle. I had a good grip then, a better one now, and still find the SwissChamp to be too large for me to use comfortably.

As a teen my first SAK was the Huntsman. This one had a file on the back - to some of you this will date me  :-)
This was stolen and I replaced it with another Huntsman which served me well for decades until it was stolen :-(
This one was replaced with another Huntsman. There was one problem; I still missed the file. I then purchased a Ranger and have been very happy. I don't need the hook or chisel, though I have used the small screwdriver a couple of times.

I have always carried my SAK in my back pants pocket next to my wallet. The 4 and 5 layer models don't present a problem; I believe the Swiss Champ would.

As I have a Gerber multitool nearby, I don't need pliers. Technically, I shouldn't need a file either; however, when I need one I never remember the one on the Gerber.

I also like the corkscrew over the phillips. I saved a number of parties when the corkscrew was forgotten and the wine bottles could not be open. Today I use it mostly to untie knots in cordage.

I would go for the Vic Ranger.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 03:24:50 AM
I would vote SwissChamp but I never mind carrying a bigger SAK either :D Not on the list but mentioned a few times already is the Ranger and that is what I carry everyday :dd:  It isn't much different size than a Huntsman but seems to have so much more going for it whether it does or not :D

Whatever your decision is it will likely lead to wanting other models anyway so get the one that you feel like you want the most and it may save you from getting another SAK so quickly ;) :D

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 03:32:00 AM
I would vote SwissChamp but I never mind carrying a bigger SAK either :D Not on the list but mentioned a few times already is the Ranger and that is what I carry everyday :dd:  It isn't much different size than a Huntsman but seems to have so much more going for it whether it does or not :D

Whatever your decision is it will likely lead to wanting other models anyway so get the one that you feel like you want the most and it may save you from getting another SAK so quickly ;) :D
No truer words...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 06:37:24 AM
I've had a Ranger and the tool set is great.  I gave it up in a trade because I had... have a Swisschamp and Champions. 
What I can tell you about the Swisschamp is, its freaking awesome.  Its everything you want and a few things you didnt know you wanted  :D

Interesting tho is I now carry my much neglected Champion  :whistle:.  I have always felt those SAK pliers were do darn handy and important to have.  I got a Deluxe Tinker because I really needed those pliers.  By the way the Deluxe Tinker is pretty great too.  Anyway where was I  :think:............  Oh right, Champion, yes.  The Champion is pretty great and I don't feel I am missing the pliers as much as I thougth I would.  Ok so let me be completely honest here, I still have like 3 Swisschamps and 1 is permanently my go to for hikes. 

I lost my train of thought again.  Handyman right, so I don't have one but the tool set looks amazing.  What a tough choice. 

As hard as it would be to not choose the Swisschamp I would probably go with the Handyman  :facepalm: there I said it. 

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 12:58:59 PM
I think the SwissChamp will add the most to your collection :) Deluxe Tinker a fantastic tool set, though :)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 05:33:38 PM
If you're a SAK guy and you don't have a SC then your missing out. The SC is big but show me a MT that has as many useful tools?
I don't use all the tools very often heck some of them I may not use but once every several months but they're in my pocket when the need arises.

For starters I can,

Sharpen my ax, prune a tree,trim my nails, read fine print, start a screw hole, estimate range ( fishscaler can be a range finder), open a can of tuna, fix my glasses, and of course turn screws and open adult beverages.

If you don't have a SC you need one.

And did I mention it's also a knife.
IMG_20160905_081436.jpg
* IMG_20160905_081436.jpg (Filesize: 125.16 KB)
IMG_20160424_092901.jpg
* IMG_20160424_092901.jpg (Filesize: 179.3 KB)
IMG_20160216_083833.jpg
* IMG_20160216_083833.jpg (Filesize: 136.78 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29:14 PM
thanks to everyone who voiced their opinions!

it looks like im going for a swisschamp in black! (i like black :P)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 10:18:08 PM
thanks to everyone who voiced their opinions!

it looks like im going for a swisschamp in black! (i like black :P)
You won't regret it :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 06:44:34 PM
Swisschamp for me.  It's the SAK that you always dreamed of when you were a kid. You might not get the most use out of it, but it's damn cool. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 10:28:52 PM
Master Craftsman? Just got one and love it, 5 layers, but not actually that thick:

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 12:31:05 AM

As a teen my first SAK was the Huntsman.

Funny coincidence!
Me too

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 01:58:41 PM
i have been looking into the ranger which does look like a good choice but i would like the pliers exept the handyman is out of stock from my local website i buy from.

convince me to get a ranger anyone?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 02:04:45 PM
i have been looking into the ranger which does look like a good choice but i would like the pliers exept the handyman is out of stock from my local website i buy from.

I'm sure poncho will be along to try and convince you soon. He is a RABID Ranger fan.

Look at the Swisschamp, dismiss the tools you know you won't use and see which model you're left with.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 02:06:46 PM

I'm sure poncho will be along to try and convince you soon. He is a RABID Ranger fan.

Look at the Swisschamp, dismiss the tools you know you won't use and see which model you're left with.

the only tool i dont see a use of much is the fish descaler BUT the ruler does look helpful

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 02:09:33 PM

the only tool i dont see a use of much is the fish descaler BUT the ruler does look helpful
Monrogue uses his scaler as a back scratcher and as an olive fork (oooo get him!) and will fight the scalers corner far beyond what is sane and reasonable  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD