Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite Matches!

Poncho65 · 354 · 19586

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Favorite Matches!
Reply #120 on: January 19, 2019, 06:03:32 PM
Here is the video that made me remember that they made the giant ones :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #121 on: January 19, 2019, 06:04:30 PM
That's a good point Poncho, there are two sized of UCO matches. What I do wish with the UCO is that the wood handle would catch fire once the 'head' has burnt down like a regular match does.

I know what you mean :salute: Regular matches will burn til all the wood is gone :cheers: I don't know why this wood doesn't burn all the way out though ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #122 on: January 19, 2019, 06:05:31 PM
Well y'all have me thinking I need to use matches more often and upgrade from my cheapy Army surplus green plastic safe I keep in my bag. Does anyone currently participating in this thread happen to have an Exotac Matchcap? If yes, any thoughts on it? If no, I suppose I'll just have to pick one up so I can be a guinea pig for the forum friends... :twak:

I don't have one ::) but if you want to buy one please do as I have wondered about those as well :whistle: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #123 on: January 19, 2019, 06:06:50 PM
Other video just above was the wrong one but still a cool video :facepalm: :D Here is the right one :salute:

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #124 on: January 19, 2019, 06:08:06 PM
Hum... i do happen to have a $5 amazon credit from bing rewards I've got no plans for... and i just sold a knife i got as a gift a couple years back and never used...

Let's see if i can enable myself enough to pull the trigger on one. Basically already there, but can't decide between the gunmetal and orange variants.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #125 on: January 19, 2019, 06:15:59 PM
Hum... i do happen to have a $5 amazon credit from bing rewards I've got no plans for... and i just sold a knife i got as a gift a couple years back and never used...

Let's see if i can enable myself enough to pull the trigger on one. Basically already there, but can't decide between the gunmetal and orange variants.

I do :like: the orange for fire starting stuff but the gun metal is sure nice :dd: Either way :popcorn: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: January 19, 2019, 06:17:06 PM
A very cool little gadget here :o an LED light that is a match safe :ahhh Plus it has the UCO Stormproof matches :like:

https://www.ucogear.com/firefly-match-case-flashlight-mt--e--firefly

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #127 on: January 19, 2019, 06:18:30 PM

I do :like: the orange for fire starting stuff but the gun metal is sure nice :dd: Either way :popcorn: :D
Orange is a big plus for visibility in the boonies but gunmetal fits my usual style a bit better, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other at this point.

Who knows, if I get one and end up liking it as much as I think I will, I might just end up with both of them...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #128 on: January 19, 2019, 06:19:17 PM
I didn't know UCO had so much different fire starting things :ahhh

https://www.ucogear.com/firestarters/

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #129 on: January 19, 2019, 06:46:54 PM
Here's the little bottle I carry - Coghlan's Waterproof/Windproof Storm Matches (made in UK). Nice and compact. Strikers on both ends.
IMG_2143.jpg
* IMG_2143.jpg (Filesize: 41.07 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #130 on: January 19, 2019, 07:52:31 PM
I have heard good things about those :cheers: they have been around several years, correct?  :think:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #131 on: January 19, 2019, 07:57:37 PM
Yes, I've had a stash of them for a few years. Popular in the camping shops in South Africa. Nice and compact  :)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #132 on: January 19, 2019, 08:56:00 PM
Here's the little bottle I carry - Coghlan's Waterproof/Windproof Storm Matches (made in UK). Nice and compact. Strikers on both ends.
Those look almost identical to the "Royal Navy surplus" UK-made lifeboat survival kit matches I used to see all over the place, plus the Coghlan branding. Maybe they're made by the same contractor. Neat!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #133 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:18 PM
Those look almost identical to the "Royal Navy surplus" UK-made lifeboat survival kit matches I used to see all over the place, plus the Coghlan branding. Maybe they're made by the same contractor. Neat!

Both being from the UK, I would say it is very likely they are made at the same place :cheers:

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #134 on: January 19, 2019, 09:21:57 PM
Well darn you all, I've got a brand new box of matches sitting on my desk and have a gunmetal Matchcap on the way :tu: :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:26 PM
 :rofl:

Our work here is done......  >:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #136 on: January 19, 2019, 11:21:20 PM

Our work here is done......  >:D

:iagree:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: January 21, 2019, 12:18:53 AM
I have a few goodies on the way ::) :D One of them that I am really excited about is the UCO Firefly match safe/LED flashlight :like: I hope that it is made well and works well :cheers: We shall see ;)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #138 on: January 21, 2019, 07:33:18 AM
Create light and heat. Two essentials. Show us when it arrives Poncho65.  :tu:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:39:01 AM by Max Stone »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #139 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:31 PM
I will put some pics up for sure :tu: and put my thoughts of it in here as well :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #140 on: January 21, 2019, 03:32:35 PM
I am glad that this thread got bumped as I have a few things to add to it.  First off, some of Spork's favorites:

Over the summer I bought a used kayak and it included some extras, like a paddle and dry bag.  The paddle was donated to my nephews' use as they are hard on things and I don't like aluminum shafted paddles, and inside the dry bag was this brand new pack of Coughlin's waterproof matches, or "greenies." :D

I haven't used any of them yet, although I did notice there are a few doubles in there, so there may be about 5% fewer matches in there than expected!  Still, the pack seems as full as a pack can get, so I'm happy, especially since they were an added bonus I wasn't expecting.

Next up are some of my regular matches from Redbird.

I keep them in an old prescription bottle with a spare striker from one of my UCO kits.  The setup isn't waterproof, and neither are the matches, but they keep dry enough inside the bottle, inside a pack.

They aren't anything special, they are just one of the most commonly available wood match brands here, and they are dirt cheap, so I can strike half of the pill bottle at once to get a decent flame if needed.  I think a box of 500 is something like $5, so pretty affordable.  (EDIT: The price has apparently gone up.... https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/redbird-matches-2-pk-0761902p.html#srp although I am certain they can be gotten cheaper elsewhere) I can replenish this pill bottle (or make many of them) or less than a bottle of Pepsi, so it makes sense to have them everywhere.  And, my parents have enough prescription bottles left over to feed an army.   :facepalm:

And speaking of my parents and armies....

My father gave me this little gem the last time I visited him.  It is a Canadian Armed Forces issue match safe, complete with 50+ year old matches.

The case is thin aluminum with a screw on top, and I have no idea what the label used to say.  There's not enough of it let to guess. 

It has five bags in it, one with strikers, three which have six matches in them, and one was opened and one match has been used.  The rest are all original- I think Dad found them to be a bit overkill for lighting cigarettes and put them away for when he needed them... then either never needed them, or didn't have them handy when he did! 

They appear to be windproof matches, and possibly also waterproof, or at least may have been at one point.  They are similar to the modern UCO matches, only a lot smaller.  They are also over 50 years old, and I am not sure if that means they won't work, or if they will explode in a bit of a fireball.  One of these days I will get brave enough to try one!

Here's a comparison of all three:

One of these days I will toss the pill bottle in some water (after taking the matches out!) to see how waterproof it is.  I think it is only good for keeping rain or the occasional splash out, and so far that has been good enough.  I'd probably stick to the UCO ones for kayaking trips though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #141 on: January 21, 2019, 03:40:06 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #142 on: January 21, 2019, 03:43:07 PM
Boss, those old matches are really neat.  They certainly look like the UCO matches albeit smaller.  The need for a wind/water proof match has been around for a while.  That match safe is really neat and more so that it was your dads.   I'd be inclined to light one match just to see how/if it would light.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #143 on: January 21, 2019, 04:29:08 PM
I fully intend to... I'm just not sure what would happen.  Do the chemicals degrade over time?  If so, do they get more or less flammable?  Is the wood so dry that it will burn super quick?

Could be fun....  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #144 on: January 21, 2019, 04:32:24 PM
Great pics Grant :like: I just bought some of the Coghlan waterproof matches but mine are red tipped :think: Does it mean they are older or newer :shrug: Still have yet to get any of the Red Bird matches :ahhh I still love the look of their boxes :dd: :like: and that old match safe and stormproof matches are excellent 8) I would have l already have lit one :pok: :D Even neater that it was your dads :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #145 on: January 21, 2019, 04:49:40 PM
I can't comment on a timeline of colors on the Coughlan's matches.  Maybe Spork will be able to shed some light on it. 

Another favorite is the Coghlan's Waterproof Safety matches in the wooden sleeve box. I call them "Greenies"...but the last pack I bought have brown heads, so I guess I'll have to start calling them "Brownies"  ::)

I like the Coleman Waterproof matches...the boxes they come in are made of a durable plastic coated cardboard.

That leads me to believe that the green ones predate the brown ones, but I am not sure where in the mix pink ones may be.

And yes, the plastic coated cardboard is very cool.  :D

Ponch- if you really like the Redbird box art I can send you a box if you like.  Probably just the box though, as I imagine the PO would be very upset at the idea of mailing matches....  :ahhh

Def

se Offline RF52

Reply #146 on: January 21, 2019, 04:51:27 PM
Got some matches in the mail today, which will be tested next time I'm outvin the woods.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #147 on: January 21, 2019, 04:54:36 PM
I appreciate the offer Grant :salute: but don't worry about it ;) not a big deal and it is cool enough to see the pics of the boxes on here 8) :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #148 on: January 21, 2019, 04:59:15 PM
I loved seeing that old Canadian forces match safe!   :tu:   :salute:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #149 on: January 21, 2019, 05:48:17 PM
Grant, the vintage aluminum match tin is awesome! :ahhh

Match TIMEX is an interesting question. I am sure the chemicals would degrade and fail to light, rather than go in the opposite direction and become less stable and explode. Could not find anything definitive, but this short post here https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/quick-prepper-tip-playing-fire/

"...Although most boxes are not marked with an expiration date, matches do get old and can loose their ability to light. Good matches are bright red in color (think Santa’s suit) if the color is more along the lines of burgundy or dull red these are typically older matches. Matches do come in other colors but red is most common."

For lifespan, I found someone who said that he had "...matches from my parents' wedding that were still working after 55 years." https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/4wn3g4/how_long_do_bar_matches_fire_producing_ones_that/

So Grant, you have to try one of those old matches and let us know - just have a fire extinguisher nearby  :D

Something fundamentally attractive about the simple match - great thread.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%