Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Source for 91mm Cellidor Scales?

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Source for 91mm Cellidor Scales?
on: January 19, 2017, 09:09:53 PM
I have watched some very interesting YouTube videos that show how the SAK cellidor scales can be restored through a process of wet/dry sanding & polishing.  I was very impressed with the results, especially in the example of restoring the looks of a 1941 SAK.  Sometimes scales are damaged beyond restoration or the owner wants to slap on some new scales.  This raises the question of where to buy new scales and my reason for starting this topic...what source(s) do you use to purchase new scales?

So far, I have found only two CONUS sources, EDCSource.com (limited selection) and ebay seller, dm4976.  The ebay seller offers regular and plus scales and includes tweezers and picks. The selection is good but does not include the harder to find scales such as SilverTech, White and some other non red, black ruby or sapphire. Another ebay seller is little-swiss-bear from Switzerland.  The prices include shipping from Switzerland and the estimated arrivals are not for the impatient.  The selection is good and includes hard to find scales like SilverTech, white, green and yellow.  I think the white would look great on a pre-owned Swiss Champ that I recently acquired. 

Anyone know of U.S. sources to purchase scales other than the two I have mentioned?

Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:13:33 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Source for 91mm Cellidor Scales?
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:39:58 AM
Jim,
I hope you get some input to your question, but meanwhile PM me your address and I will send you one brand new pair of white plus scales for your knife.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:43:08 AM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
Nice gesture Fo-Bozzle!  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:54:24 AM
Try Central Valley Wholesale on ebay

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:17:38 PM

+1  :tu:
Contact them via email on ebay or site , they do not list everything they have instock on ebay I have been told. :tu:

http://www.centralvalleywholesale.com/knives
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:21:16 PM

+1 they put the cooler scales on knife models that don't normally come in those colors. As a result they sell a lot of new take-off red scales. But if you contact them directly, they should be able to sell you the cool color scales only. In the past I've gotten red nylon, stayglow and Gadsden flag ones from them.

Swiss Bianco has most of the standard colors but they're not very affordable especially if they're going on a $10 used SAK. The nice thing there is that they are never installed, whereas the Central Valley ones will be new on the outer surface but pulled off a new knife so they may require a little drop of your favorite adhesive at the 3 holes. (I use gel superglue but others will correctly point out that epoxy is less effected by changes in temperature.)

Happy hunting! And nice gesture there, Folder.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 01:18:21 PM
Thanks all.  Magentus had gifted me some nice paracord, so I'm just trying to pay it forward.  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 07:00:32 PM
Jim,
I hope you get some input to your question, but meanwhile PM me your address and I will send you one brand new pair of white plus scales for your knife.  :cheers:

Wow!!!

Thank you, FolderBeholder!  You offer has deeply touched me, not just for the benefit of using the white scales on my newly acquired Swiss Champ but for the spirit of generosity and kindness toward another that your offer represents.

I have sent a private message with my address and appeal to you to send me your mailing address because I have something that I would like to send to you that I hope will put a smile on your face.  This is not a "Quid pro quo" but my need to recognize the kindness and spirit of generosity behind your gift.

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 07:15:28 PM

My thanks to you, Cali-SAK-Attack & JamesJ for the suggestion to check with Central Valley Wholesale.  I have seen offerings from this company, mainly scales removed from new SAKs. I have considered picking up a quantity of red scales removed from new SAKs but prefer the using compression to apply new scales.  I expect to get some of CVW's scales eventually to get some experience re-applying scales.  I will want to figure out how to track re-applications and to do them well.  I have a Compact SAK that was pre-owned and has re-applied scales.  How do I know they are re-applied?  The toothpick is permanently installed. This will give me a chance to practice removing epoxied scales.

Thanks to your suggestion, I will look further into Central Valley Wholesale's offerings.

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD