Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One and the Only SAK

00 Offline WolfyW

Re: One and the Only SAK
Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 05:27:34 PM
Probably one I don't have, the Fieldmaster.
"The older I get, the better I was".

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 05:42:07 PM
I'm liking my Explorer for the magnifier. It's basically a Climber with the mag/ inline Philips layer.  The only thing I would add would be the saw for emergencies only. (Image removed from quote.)

That would make it a Woodsman then, I think? Sadly discontinued, except for a special Mexican run

Huntsman Lite is close, with the LED replacing the mag glass.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 06:03:13 PM
I'm liking my Explorer for the magnifier. It's basically a Climber with the mag/ inline Philips layer.  The only thing I would add would be the saw for emergencies only. (Image removed from quote.)

That would make it a Woodsman then, I think? Sadly discontinued, except for a special Mexican run

Huntsman Lite is close, with the LED replacing the mag glass.

.... and I find the light more useful than the mag glass. No good for distance work, but for checking under the sofa or finding your way to the loo in the night when visiting friends and you don't know where the light switches are, it's fine  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 06:25:48 PM
After seeing American Blackout where the guy escaped by cutting the grate with his Vic saw, it always haunts me to not have a saw.

Of course,  I have the package hook and could probably use that to pull the grate down.
I was stuck in an elevator with four other people for an hour once.  It wasn't fun, but we knew they were coming for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:16 PM
Obichamp all the way  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
ObiChamp 4.jpg
* ObiChamp 4.jpg (Filesize: 51.13 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:59 AM
Hm....this is a toughy ::)
MechaRogue  :whistle:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 08:45:30 AM
Hm....this is a toughy ::)
MechaRogue  :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 09:18:24 AM
Picking only one SAK for all scenarios, is like trying to pick only one pair of shoes for hiking, playing tennis, working in a foundry, formal occasions, and lounging about the house. I'll pass  :D

Quite! This is why most of us own a bunch of SAKs, not just one...

This. But it can make choosing the right SAK a bit of a headscratcher if you're not single minded about what you need....
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline docfossil

Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 02:15:26 AM
In days of yore it would have been my Vic Huntsman (with narrow file on back). That was stolen. The Huntsman (without the file; newer model) replaced it and was stolen. Now my choice would be, and is, the Vic Ranger. Has everything the Huntsman does plus a file, and several other tools on the back.
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 02:22:00 PM
In days of yore it would have been my Vic Huntsman (with narrow file on back). That was stolen. The Huntsman (without the file; newer model) replaced it and was stolen. Now my choice would be, and is, the Vic Ranger. Has everything the Huntsman does plus a file, and several other tools on the back.

The Master Craftsman I posted is basically a Ranger, but replaces the corkscrew with the Phillips driver, which also has the benefit of making it a little more compact
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline docfossil

Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 02:28:49 PM
The Ranger and Master Craftsmen seem to be fraternal twins! Over the years I have found the corkscrew to be extremely useful in helping to untie knots in rope. When I needed a Philips screwdriver, I could get by with using the small screwdriver on the can opener. Hence, my preference for the Ranger.

Then there is the obvious use of the corkscrew; more useful when I was in college than now. :)
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline Grateful

Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 02:52:09 PM
 For my one and only i would choose my Fieldmaster which has been my go to sak when stepping off of the beaten path. I am currently shopping around for a new sak so my choice may change soon.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #42 on: January 08, 2017, 03:28:34 PM
For my one and only i would choose my Fieldmaster which has been my go to sak when stepping off of the beaten path. I am currently shopping around for a new sak so my choice may change soon.

The thing is the Master Craftsman is only slightly thicker, as the metal file is quite a slim layer, but you also gain the useful fine screwdriver on the back, as well as the (admittedly less useful) woodchisel

Offline Capt.Tom

• New User
Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 11:41:20 PM
If I could only have one, it would be a Fieldmaster. Unless I never leave the city again, then it would be a Tinker. Or an Evo 11. This is not a fair question..........

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:38 AM
If I could only have one SAK, it would be the Explorer since it has my most essential tools (blades, scissors, drivers & magnifier).  I especially appreciate the magnifier for reading small print. 

If are not talking about carrying it, I would go with either my Champion Plus or Swiss Champ.

If I could have only one Victorinox product, it would not be an SAK but the Spirit X.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:05 AM
For me: Tinker
I never felt under equipped with it, in most of the situations that i would realistically use a Sak for.
For that matter, even a Spartan  :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%