Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

60's Camper-style knife. Help identifying name/vintage.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Greetings,

I just received a knife in the mail and I've spent all morning trying to narrow down the year/name of it.   The knife is basically what is now called a Camper, with bail instead of keyring and no T&T.   Looking through various catalogs it looks like the Spartan was called the Camper in the sixties.  The closest thing I've found is what was once called the Picnicker but it had a unique blade not a clip-point nor a traditional spear point.    This particular knife has a very worn down clip point for the small blade... Also missing the shield inlay, but it was pretty cheap and I don't have any Vic's with the old bail so I couldn't resist.

Thanks,

EC :salute:
WP_20170114_12_23_50_Rich.jpg
* WP_20170114_12_23_50_Rich.jpg (Filesize: 425.43 KB)
WP_20170114_12_24_31_Rich.jpg
* WP_20170114_12_24_31_Rich.jpg (Filesize: 420.78 KB)
WP_20170114_12_24_44_Rich.jpg
* WP_20170114_12_24_44_Rich.jpg (Filesize: 270.73 KB)
WP_20170114_12_23_59_Rich.jpg
* WP_20170114_12_23_59_Rich.jpg (Filesize: 150.4 KB)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:49:46 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline FolderBeholder

Re: 60's Camper-style knife. Help identifying name/vintage.
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:09:15 PM
I saw the word Camper so I had to click in.
That is a puzzle, someone will be along shortly to identify it. 
My guess is it is early to mid 1970s, but I will be eager to read what others think. 
You're right, I couldn't find it in any of the catalogs that are on SakWiki either.
Gotta love a Camper with a bail!  :tu:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:10:16 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:12:15 PM
It's a Model 237U from c.1966-1969. Personally I would call it a Camper.

For the most part, historically, Victorinox has always referred to their knives by model number, not really by name. This is something that stretches back to the early 1900s. The names are a (brilliant IMO) marketing idea that seems to have started largely in the US by the early post war importers and distributors. The names were somewhat fluid, assigned as needed, and reused when they would discontinue importing one model and start importing another. This is why you see so much name reuse (Camper, Craftsman, Handyman, Motorist, Golfer, etc). Different countries (e.g. Canada) would even have different names for the knives - for example, the knives we (collectors) know today as the Artisan and the Voyegeur are the French-Canadian names for the Craftsman and Tourist, which is how these knives were sold in the US.

The English names really start to solidify in the 1970s when Forschener takes over the US distribution and later become so identified with the knives that even Victorinox themselves starts using them.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:15:47 PM
It's a Model 237U from c.1966-1969. Personally I would call it a Camper.

For the most part, historically, Victorinox has always referred to their knives by model number, not really by name. This is something that stretches back to the early 1900s. The names are a (brilliant IMO) marketing idea that seems to have started largely in the US by the early post war importers and distributors. The names were somewhat fluid, assigned as needed, and reused when they would discontinue importing one model and start importing another. This is why you see so much name reuse (Camper, Craftsman, Handyman, Motorist, Golfer, etc). Different countries (e.g. Canada) would even have different names for the knives - for example, the knives we (collectors) know today as the Artisan and the Voyegeur are the French-Canadian names for the Craftsman and Tourist, which is how these knives were sold in the US.

The English names really start to solidify in the 1970s when Forschener takes over the US distribution and later become so identified with the knives that even Victorinox themselves starts using them.

Thanks for the info!  I have noticed that names vary by country and year.  If you don't mind, could you tell me how you narrowed it down to '66-'69?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:16:59 PM
I saw the word Camper so I had to click in.
That is a puzzle, someone will be along shortly to identify it. 
My guess is it is early to mid 1970s, but I will be eager to read what others think. 
You're right, I couldn't find it in any of the catalogs that are on SakWiki either.
Gotta love a Camper with a bail!  :tu:

Danke schön!   :salute:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:43:03 PM
I was coming back here to revise my estimate, but I see jazzbass got ya covered.  :2tu:
Here is a resource I use as I'm beginning to learn some of the tools:
http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:16 PM
I was coming back here to revise my estimate, but I see jazzbass got ya covered.  :2tu:
Here is a resource I use as I'm beginning to learn some of the tools:
http://victorinox.metodi.me/91mmtools.php

Thanks FB,
Trying my best to prepare for a couple of video ideas.  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 12:50:51 AM
Very nice knife there 8) Glad it got narrowed down pretty close to the year and you got a name with an explanation :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 03:26:02 AM
JB was totally right.  Finally got a new one of these Elinox in box.  237U indeed.  Pretty neat.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 04:37:57 PM
JB was totally right.  Finally got a new one of these Elinox in box.  237U indeed.  Pretty neat.

Congratulations on the Elinox. It is a very nice find!   :tu: :tu: :like: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%