Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend some SAK Modders for me

us Offline VictorLouis

Recommend some SAK Modders for me
on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:43 AM
I need a few simple mods, or at least I hope they would be. Basically, I'm just asking for a layer or two to be removed from one side of a 91mm and a 111mm. The modder can keep the parts.

On the 91mm Explorer, I want to remove the blades, and corkscrew. I'm toying with either a set of day-glow yellow scales to replace the reds, or perhaps SB's checkered copper ones.
A nice TSA-friendly piece, I would hope. I've got a couple two-layer sidelocks where I want the opener and lifter removed, leaving just the blade, and its back-tool. Same with a four-layer, leaving just two blades.

if you home-hobbyists are sure of yourselves, chime in.  Savings count, and I'm not proud, LOL. :climber:

Thanks,
Vic

us Offline 7.5mas

Re: Recommend some SAK Modders for me
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:38 AM
I've been kicking around the Idea to get a some mods done
but this is the only link I can find at the moment

http://www.sakmodder.com/index.shtml
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:26:11 AM by 7.5mas »
:climber:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:31 AM
I've been kicking around the Idea to get a some mods done
but this is the only link I can find at the moment

http://www.sakmodder.com/index.shtml

Yes, Syph007 (his username here on the forum) makes some awesome work, check his topic in the Mod squad section. He does however speSmurfpillse in more elaborate work.

If it's just a question of removing a layer there should be plenty of people around who could do it. Have you considered doing it yourself, there are plenty of good guides and since its only a question of removing a layer there should be no need for additional materials.

I would sign up and do it but shipping across the Atlantic is not really cost effective.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40:40 AM
 I understand the time=money thing and it may be worth it to pay somebody instead of trying to do it yourself (unless you want to continue modding as a hobby), plus I support the idea of supporting modders.  But the removal-only mods are pretty good ones for beginners. If you're careful, you could re-use the pins (since the knives are getting thinner and the part you have to drill off would be removed anyway). Sizing the pins to the correct diameter is the biggest hassle of basic mods. It does however require a compliment of basic tools. I believe Folder Beholder just got her custom yeoman w/saw modded...can't remember who did it...but soon enough you'll have some replies.

As for TSA friendly, I'm not sure what the deal is with 91mm scissors.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:54 AM
Removal of the blade layer will require a custom outer liner (back side) unless you want to use metal scales (exposed rivet pins or pivot screws)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:37:45 AM
Removal of the blade layer will require a custom outer liner (back side) unless you want to use metal scales (exposed rivet pins or pivot screws)

OoOoOo that is a very good point. There's no 91mm equivalent of the Recruit right? (Outer liner with no backtool cutout) I think on my pre-2005 metal-file equipped SAKs theres a liner with no cutouts thats completely flat...but it's fairly thick...and who wants to destroy an entire other SAK just for the liner...
-JJL

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:11:53 AM
I'm new to modding but if you need a Swiss Army Potato, I'm your man...

This one is not for sale. It's on the compost heap.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:17:15 AM
I'm new to modding but if you need a Swiss Army Potato, I'm your man...

(Image removed from quote.)

This one is not for sale. It's on the compost heap.
That is what is known as a 'Swiss Potato - Throwing' as used by 'La Swiss Service Secrete'.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:36:51 AM

OoOoOo that is a very good point. There's no 91mm equivalent of the Recruit right? (Outer liner with no backtool cutout) I think on my pre-2005 metal-file equipped SAKs theres a liner with no cutouts thats completely flat...but it's fairly thick...and who wants to destroy an entire other SAK just for the liner...

Indeed, that adds some work to the project! And it would probably require custom scales too.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:38:50 AM
PM Syph007 - He is one of the top modders here, always does beautiful work and there's plenty of examples of it here.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 01:53:30 PM

:cheers:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 02:29:25 PM
I believe Folder Beholder just got her custom yeoman w/saw modded...can't remember who did it...but soon enough you'll have some replies.
True, I was working with member GigzHz on the mod.  Couldn't be happier!   :2tu:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VictorLouis

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:45:33 PM
So, if the Exploder would need an outer liner, perhaps those copper ones are the way to go. Thanks to the poster who said I ought to check on the scissors size. As to DIY'ing it....I don't know for sure if I could. I would think the pins are flared out over the bushings. Re-staking them ought to be relatively easy, it's the removal I am concerned about. While I have a Dremel with grinding tips, I suspect a tiny drill bit is the superior method, so as to best preserve the bushing (ring?) for re-use. Am I correct?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:07 AM
91mm pn diameter is 2.5mm for the outside ones and 2.2mm for the middle ones...

Starting from the back side, Use similar sized drill bits... drill until about close to the outer liners... the bushings should be easy to remove gently with pliers...

Use a nail punch of similar size to push the pins out layer per layer... this also helps to know which parts go where... Taking pictures will come in handy...

This is what I do for disassembly... if it is of any help...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 01:30:22 AM
:popcorn:

Good luck in getting your SAK modded :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 03:03:10 AM
Using the copper scales would still leave a cutout where the corkscrew (or backside phillips on other models) would normally be. This might just look strange but be functional however.
-JJL

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:27 PM
Steven Pruette - just received this (Cadet II X?) from him - peening is perfect and good snap on the tools

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 03:28:47 AM
Steven Pruette - just received this (Cadet II X?) from him - peening is perfect and good snap on the tools

Tattosteve's peening is just perfect... :drool: :like:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Tattosteve's peening is just perfect... :drool: :like:

Yup!

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%