Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grohmann Survival Knife

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Grohmann Survival Knife
on: April 19, 2017, 02:39:55 AM
As many of you know (and if you don't by now, shame on you!) I am a huge fan of Grohmann Knives, and not just because I have lived half my life right down the road from them.  I have loved the feel and shape of the Grohmann #1 Belt Knife for years, and I have given many away to other folks who fell in love with them the moment they laid eyes on them.  And, I have a very special Grohmann #1 Belt Knife given to me many years ago by the members of this forum, and I often take it with me when spending time in the woods.  But now it's time for a new Grohmann to take center stage and step into the limelight, at least for a while. 

Ladies and Gentemen, I give you the Grohmann #4 Survival Knife.

I've long since lusted after this knife, as the heft makes it feel like a much larger chopper, but it still very comfortable in the hand, just like the #1.  Grohmann's website always claimed that this knife was for folks with larger hands, and as I am not gifted with large hands I always left it behind. Until now. 

Modeled after the #1 original design. A favorite among big game hunters the world over as well as for those looking for a generous size outdoor knife. Sturdy design for those with larger hands. With the tab/lock down sheath design, the belt loop is positioned high for comfort while sitting or riding. Other styles of sheaths also available as shown.

Blade approx. 5 1/2" x 1 3/8", of 3/16" stock, total length of 10 5/16".  Various handle materials as well as blade materials (stainless or carbon steel) and blade grinds available (regular grind or flat grind)

I received this particular knife, which features the water buffalo handles as a gift, and decided that I needed to get it out and spend some time with it, so I took it with me on the weekend while I visited my parents, who live in the woods.  It seemed like a great place to try it out and see if I could really handle it as comfortably as the #1, which feels like a natural extension of my hand.

I started off easy, doing a few simple chores with it, like feathering branches and cutting twigs, and honestly it handled exactly the way a Grohmann should.  It's weird to say t that way, because the way a Grohmann cuts is beautiful, and a work of art if you can appreciate such things, so to say that it cuts like a Grohmann and leave it at that is actually high praise and not as blase as it sounds. 

I will say that it was a bit odd at first, with a handle that was so familiar and a blade that wasn't, but sort of was in a strange sort of way.  It's quite a bit larger than the #1, but is along so similar a style that it was both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.  Given the large, almost heavy blade I decided to give it a try doing the one thing the #1 isn't great at- chopping.

After a few whacks this 2x4 changed it's tune about causing trouble, and, while the #4 won't replace a hatchet, it is nice to know that it can hold it's own against heavy branches and small trees.

I also used it again later on when I got the line snarled in a closed face reel (haven't used one in at least 30 years) and I was trying to unsnag it.  There are no photos of that as I spent most of the time cursing at the reel and whomever it was that invented closed face reels to stop and take any.

I have to say that I am very happy with the #1, and it's not ready to be retired yet, but it is nice to know that the #4 is there, ready to step up to the big jobs when needed!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Grohmann Survival Knife
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:45:48 AM
Nice blade Grant!
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:59:42 AM
I'll get one some time. Bid on one recently but that went way above my reach. Good pics.   :tu:   :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:05:21 AM
I hve a lot of knives, many of which are quite good.  I have had a lot of knives that were absolutely great knives, but just didn't give me the fizz as Captain Slow would say.  There's nothing wrong with them, but they just don't really connect with me.

This one did, likely because it was so familiar with the same handle as the #1, but there's more to it than that.  While these knives are produced in volume they still have a feeling of handcrafting to them, and I am not talking about the half finished feel of many custom handmade knives.  It's simple, it works and it's perfect.  The water buffalo horn is so expertly crafted to the full tang handle that, when handling it, it is hard to believe they aren't all one piece.

This is truly the standard that I wish more knife makers and manufacturers would strive for.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 03:18:32 AM
Great gift and excellent knife!!!!!! Congrats Def!!!! It does feel like a custom knife

If folks get to handle one of the #4's...chances are they would have to own one!!!!

Beautiful horn handles too...my #4 has the plain wood ones. Which sheath did you get?

Here's mine with my #1.

RG Canadian belt knives.jpg
* RG Canadian belt knives.jpg (Filesize: 93.76 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:30:22 AM
Glad you like your new toy  tool.   :cheers:

ca Offline JP

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:31:27 AM
Gorgeous pics. Another item on my "want" list.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 04:45:45 AM
 :o Very nice blade Grant :dd: :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:10:50 AM
Gorgeous pics. Another item on my "want" list.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

+1
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:22:57 PM
Great gift and excellent knife!!!!!! Congrats Def!!!! It does feel like a custom knife

If folks get to handle one of the #4's...chances are they would have to own one!!!!

Beautiful horn handles too...my #4 has the plain wood ones. Which sheath did you get?

Here's mine with my #1.

I have the flap sheath rather than the open one. I thought it was going to annoy me a bit, but it actually was quite nice.

The sheaths really suit the knives, and I don't dislike them, but I find with my #1 that they don't leave the knife as accessible as I'd like since they cover much of the handle.    But the flap sheath leaves more of the handle available to grab, and the flap keeps the knife in and safe.  I found that with some practice it became very easy to flip the flap open and get the knife out, and, more importantly, put the knife back in, all without looking.

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:16 PM
Great looking knife Def   :drool:

us Online LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 02:28:34 PM
Very nice, appears to pretty to ever put to work!

Thank you for sharing your gift and experiences with it and #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 02:43:49 PM

Here's mine with my #1.

I have the flap sheath rather than the open one. I thought it was going to annoy me a bit, but it actually was quite nice.

The sheaths really suit the knives, and I don't dislike them, but I find with my #1 that they don't leave the knife as accessible as I'd like since they cover much of the handle.    But the flap sheath leaves more of the handle available to grab, and the flap keeps the knife in and safe.  I found that with some practice it became very easy to flip the flap open and get the knife out, and, more importantly, put the knife back in, all without looking.

Def

:cheers: :cheers: :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:04 PM
:2tu:

:cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 06:30:16 PM
In the off chance that the benefactor who provided this knife reads this, Megan loves hers as well, and also has some pics from giving it a workout over the weekend too.  :D

We both greatly appreciate them.

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 10:11:53 AM
Great knife and write-up Grant!  :tu:

This is a problematic (style of) knife for me, it causes discord between the mind and heart......

I bought the CS Canadian Belt knife for the experience, and I believe for this style of knife you understand the design the first time you hold it - it's practical, comfortable and just works.

It does however not please my eye, and thus my heart....

This I find intriguing because normally excellent function changes my eye and heart to see the inner beauty.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 10:54:25 AM
great thread boss. :tu:  I love these knives for just being different in a world where most outdoor knives seem to just be variations on a couple of themes.  I've handled one in years gone by but I don't think I ever got the chance to put one through it's paces.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22:13 PM
great thread boss. :tu:  I love these knives for just being different in a world where most outdoor knives seem to just be variations on a couple of themes.  I've handled one in years gone by but I don't think I ever got the chance to put one through it's paces.

Now's your chance- in preparation for #fixedbladefriday I listed a couple of Grohmann Survival Knives in the MTO Store, including this gorgous high carbon and black linen micarta version.  Serious drool worthy there... the stonewash finish is the stuff that knifey dreams are made of! 

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:05 PM
Great knife and write-up Grant!  :tu:

This is a problematic (style of) knife for me, it causes discord between the mind and heart......

I bought the CS Canadian Belt knife for the experience, and I believe for this style of knife you understand the design the first time you hold it - it's practical, comfortable and just works.

It does however not please my eye, and thus my heart....

This I find intriguing because normally excellent function changes my eye and heart to see the inner beauty.

I get what you are saying, but trust me when I say there is a very major difference between the CS Canadian Belt Knife and the real thing.  I have both (several of the Grohmann versions in fact) and while the CS version is nice enough, it really can't compete in the slightest, any more than a photocopy of the Mona Lisa could compete with the real thing.  Sure there are similarities, and if you are far enough away maybe you can't tell the difference, but it just can't do justice to the original.

After all, if the original Grohmann wasn't so darned good, why else would companies like Cold Steel and Bark River copy knives from some podunk town (Pictou) in an even more podunk province (Nova Scotia) in a country that is only famous for hockey and leaders who routinely appear in strange places with no shirt on?  :D

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 04:53:19 PM
Hi Grant

Point taken, I can easily believe you......

As for the rest, you lost me at CS and Bark river, the sporting/cultural/political references went whoosh over my head!  :rofl:
....but sounds funny!  :rofl:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 05:23:55 PM

Now's your chance- in preparation for #fixedbladefriday I listed a couple of Grohmann Survival Knives in the MTO Store, including this gorgous high carbon and black linen micarta version.  Serious drool worthy there... the stonewash finish is the stuff that knifey dreams are made of! 

Def

Great deal on a fantastic knife!!!!!!!!!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 06:26:29 PM

Def

If only I had some spending money. :ahhh  Instead of money right now I have a Les Stroud axe and a puppy. :shrug:  There are worse things in the World I guess. ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 04:15:46 AM
Just don't use them together!   :ahhh

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 07:15:19 AM
Just don't use them together!   :ahhh

Def
:o

good point. :D

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 04:25:59 PM
Wow. That's a sexy knife. Seriously it's gorgeous.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%