Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Machete Roundup

Chako · 56 · 9868

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Machete Roundup
Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 01:35:43 AM
Chako, thanks for posting.  I like the Kukri, it looks quite functional. :tu:

I was just sharpening my machete by Ontario today, and had been thinking about the same question recently--why no maker put the lanyard hole somewhere on top of/close to the guard?  The pommel lanyard hole is nice, but it really doesn't do much to retain the tool in hand, and if the tool does fly or swing out of hand, the lanyard at pommel is almost like a sure ticket for the tool swing back to cut me... :pok: :think:

Lanyard hole at the top of a guard is patended and annoyingly defended.  So you will only see one knife maker have one.  I cant actually remember who though but that is the why.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 01:39:12 AM

I was just sharpening my machete by Ontario today, and had been thinking about the same question recently--why no maker put the lanyard hole somewhere on top of/close to the guard?  The pommel lanyard hole is nice, but it really doesn't do much to retain the tool in hand, and if the tool does fly or swing out of hand, the lanyard at pommel is almost like a sure ticket for the tool swing back to cut me... :pok: :think:

Lanyard hole at the top of a guard is patended and annoyingly defended.  So you will only see one knife maker have one.  I cant actually remember who though but that is the why.
Busse?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 01:56:41 AM
Yep thats it.  Busse talon hole.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26:15 AM

:facepalm:

I got that idea after watching this video a little while ago, and figured if a machete has a lanyard hole at the top of the guard(not like most Busse, where the hole is on lower guard), that'd be cool.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 07:57:32 AM

I got that idea after watching this video a little while ago, and figured if a machete has a lanyard hole at the top of the guard(not like most Busse, where the hole is on lower guard), that'd be cool.

Okay, watching that video was extremely painful for me.
IMO lanyards on a machete or chopper are more hazard than help.
Correct technique and awareness is what you want.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 08:12:29 AM
I rewatch that video, and I think I got your point...I don't understand why the user put his hand over the lanyard(maybe he is wearing glove, so he doesn't feel anything), but I still do think if a lanyard were used, attaching it to the front seems to make better sense to me that have it on the back.

But it is a good point about correct techniques/awareness, I don't think I have ever seen a machete user in many S.E. Asia countries, utilizing a lanyard.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 02:08:13 PM
I just picked up the SOG sogfari kukri machete last night and I'm impressed.
I expected it to be thin light and flexible like the Cold Steel I've been packing for years. Mines a early model, year1 with the double snap sheath body and no grip snap. I remember when they were first released and got the first one available at my local outfitter.

The SOG seems to be little thicker, a lot stiffer, a bit heavier and a lot better balanced.
 It just feels better in the hand.

I noticed something right away with the saw teeth that you should see on your tanto Chako...They set the teeth. I've never seen a machete company properly set the teeth, they always just gring them in and that's it. They don't set the flair to make the tips extend past the thickness of the blade.

They also have 2 "lashing holes' at the guard and one "lanyard hole" at the pommel. That's marketing speak for "we talked to our lawyers and figured out how to say "Smurf off Busse" just by renaming our holes"

Can't wait to use it for more than cutting a sandwich at 3am, which is why I was at walmart at 2:30am to buy it, or was it was cause I was hungry? I forget, somehow I ended up with a new knife to go with my insomnia on rye .
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:25:11 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:59 AM
I had to take a look at mine, and you are correct, they did set the teeth on the Tanto. I don't have the Kukri version as of yet.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 01:42:49 AM
Well just got another new addition. I found this one at the local Pawn Shop for not that much money.

From what little I know about it, looks like it is an Ontario Cutlery machete made for SWI. Not sure if this is a model 1991 or something. The sheath is rubber with holes in it. On the back, there is a military style hook as opposed to a belt loop. Nice machete. Full tang with 3 rivets. Saw back, and very sharp.

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:20 AM
Yep thats it.  Busse talon hole.

You will also find them on the BHK, though it is more used for retention in the sheath.

Here is the one I use. Junked all my other machetes since receiving it. Just heads and shoulders above anything else I have handled. Fiddleback Forge 12":

Handle is just large enough to choke back to use it as a chopper or choke up and use it more like a camp knife. Sucker sings through thick and thin bamboo.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:28 PM
I'm just giving this a little :bump: since I've been thinking about getting a machete, and this will make it easier to look at some. :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 07:36:23 PM
Smurf!
I dont need another machete.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:59 PM
:woohoo:
I should get another machete.

Fixed  :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 08:16:25 PM

:woohoo:

Fixed  :D

You know me too well derek... :D

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 01:01:01 AM
I'm just giving this a little :bump: since I've been thinking about getting a machete, and this will make it easier to look at some. :D

What kind are you after? IMO avoid anything in the middle and go for shorter thick choppers or longer thin cutters.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 01:23:29 AM

What kind are you after? IMO avoid anything in the middle and go for shorter thick choppers or longer thin cutters.

Oh ok,I'll go there...

That's what she said :whistle:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 01:28:01 AM

I really don't know.  This will be for the Jeep, just to help clear small brush, and annoying branches when I need to get out of the Jeep on a trail.  Some trails get quite over grown, and it's a major pain trying to walk beside the rigs.

I have gift cards for Canadian Tire, so I'll probably get something there.  I don't know if this link will work or not, but if it does, this is what they offer.  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?searchByTerm=true&q=machete

Oh ok,I'll go there...

:rofl:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 01:49:26 AM

I really don't know.  This will be for the Jeep, just to help clear small brush, and annoying branches when I need to get out of the Jeep on a trail.  Some trails get quite over grown, and it's a major pain trying to walk beside the rigs.

I have gift cards for Canadian Tire, so I'll probably get something there.  I don't know if this link will work or not, but if it does, this is what they offer.  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?searchByTerm=true&q=machete

Oh ok,I'll go there...

:rofl:
Link worked. I would get the Outbound Machete and pair it with the Fiskars or Yardworks Hatchet.
Together they cost less than most of the other machetes and they give you much more capability and with two people working the job gets done quicker.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 01:53:10 AM
This reminded me that I have an old US Army Machete out in the garage somewhere. Used to use it for clearing brush at my old house.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 02:22:28 AM
That Outbound looks good. Stay clear of the Gator by Gerber. However, the Pro version is very nice. The Camillus had issues with the handle breaking. They may have fixed that a while back...but I wouldn't chance it. The Bear Grylls is nice and heavy. The Les Stoud is too expensive for what it is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: April 05, 2015, 05:37:08 PM
Dug out my old army machete this morning. It had been stored poorly and had developed some rust. I cleaned it up with a scrubby pad and some vinegar and gave it a sharpening with a file. It cleaned up pretty good and took on a wicked sharp edge.

It's marked Ontario knife company US which is cool because I just recently got an Ontario Rat model 2 knife  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 10:46:52 PM
Closest thing I have to a machete is a Condor pack Golok.  However it isn't actually designed for what a true golok or machete is intended for (IMO anyway).  Made far more robust for use on hard wood, rather than soft vegetation, makes it too heavy for all day use.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 04:15:14 PM
"Machete not impressed" :o

"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 12:26:51 PM
I found these interesting machetes locally and thought I should add to this little collection.

Fiskars has now entered the machete market on their own as opposed to what Gerber markets. Fiskars is the parent company of Gerber.

Meet the Billhook Saw 18.

The sheath is well made, with a Velcro flap, and a snap retainer.

And the Machete 24.

The sheath is much like the above minus the Velcro flap as this model is more streamlined and will just slide into the berth easily.

Next up are a pair of World Famous branded machetes.

This is the Kukuri machete that is 20" long.

The sheath features a zipper that runs along the top.

And the Bush Machete that is 24" in length.

With the sheath.

I must say, the World Famous models have beat the Fiskars when it comes to handle ergonomics. I also like that they come with lanyards for added safety.

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:56 AM

Here's one I just came across with lanyard holes at either end of the handle, the Kershaw Camp 10 Machete.
http://www.blades.co.uk/store/Kershaw-Machete-Camp-10-KR-1077.html

I've actually been very tempted to go for this, does anyone have any experience of them?

* 1077-camp-10.jpg (Filesize: 15.66 KB)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:19:01 AM by daverobson »

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 01:25:35 AM
While I'm on the subject of shorter machetes here's my other possible choices for wood butchering tools.

https://www.ronniesunshines.com/short-blade-machete

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/2-88.html

1196.jpg
* 1196.jpg (Filesize: 22.12 KB)
survivalknife.jpg
* survivalknife.jpg (Filesize: 22.43 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%