Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool Museum reference photo - Officer's Knives question

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
I have been looking at the photo (I love that photo) of the 14 vintage knives on this site:
http://www.multi-tool.org/victorinox-historical-photos/victorinox-historical-knives

I have a screen shot of the information I'm looking at (I can erase if inappropriate).
I'm curious if there should be a distinction between Officer knife #5 and #6? 
I would place a hidden rivet, but still old awl (reamer), between those.  Or is this perhaps not a big enough variation?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:18:32 AM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Re: Multitool Museum reference photo - Officer's Knives question
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:19:02 AM
That's a basic genealogy of the development of the Victorinox Swiss Army knife, as done by Victorinox many years ago. There are a number of knives that could be added to each column. If you want to create your own version by all means do so.

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:17:02 AM
I apologize, perhaps the information I'm seeking is if there is a distinct timeframe where exposed rivets and old awl were phased out and hidden with old awl were phased in or did they manufacture them simultaneously?
Just trying to narrow down some information from between 1951-1961.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:45:30 AM
I apologize, perhaps the information I'm seeking is if there is a distinct timeframe where exposed rivets and old awl were phased out and hidden with old awl were phased in or did they manufacture them simultaneously?
Just trying to narrow down some information from between 1951-1961.

FolderBeholder, I don't see any need for your apology.  You asked a good question and received some guidance.

As an ignorant by-stander, I am happy to learn something new concerning this Victorinox genealogy of the development of the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.  I also believe that there is no such thing as a bad question as long as it is an honest inquiry.  As fellow Swiss Army Knights, we are here to support each other and not stifle honest inquiries.  Hopefully, this post will serve as a gentle reminder to our fellow members to be supportive in the face of such inquiries.

Just my $.02!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:49:42 AM by NorCalJim »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 04:19:46 AM
Hi FB,

The dates given on that photo are a good general indication as to when Victorinox introduced various modifications. There was occasionally some overlap as old parts and stock were used up. Once saw a catalog that listed both shackle and key ring versions. There are a number of threads that give more detailed info on when changes occurred, but my search karma has taken the night off. Suspect others will be along shortly with more info.

As for the Victorinox photo, a book 'Le Couteau du Soldat Suisse' raises the number of Soldier variants from 7 to 16. All part of the 'fun' of trying to figure out SAKs.   :cheers:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:37:42 AM by ColoSwiss »

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:40:38 AM
Thank you NorCal and CS for the replies.
I do need to get one of the reference books.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%