Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alternative uses for the corkscrew besides opening wine?

mzil · 19 · 3150

um Offline mzil

I'm thinking of modifying my 91mm Vic Ranger by sawing off the corkscrew so it will fit in an Altoids tin. I don't drink wine, except champagne on rare occasions, but I'm worried there may be some other uses I am unaware of where it would come in handy for this survival kit meant for  emergency use only, not everyday tool use. I showed an image in another thread recently of an obscure use I don't think is very important but I would hate to remove the corkscrew only to discover there's some truly important use I was unaware of. What alternate uses are there?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Alternative uses for the corkscrew besides opening wine?
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:25 PM
I'm thinking of modifying my 91mm Vic Ranger by sawing off the corkscrew so it will fit in an Altoids tin. I don't drink wine, except champagne on rare occasions, but I'm worried there may be some other uses I am unaware of where it would come in handy for this survival kit meant for  emergency use only, not everyday tool use. I showed an image in another thread recently of an obscure use I don't think is very important but I would hate to remove the corkscrew only to discover there's some truly important use I was unaware of. What alternate uses are there?

The two most obvious ones are to carry the small screwdriver and as a hook to open knots.

um Offline mzil

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:15 PM
Thanks everyone.

So far nothing has been mentioned in the linked to lists that I'd need or couldn't accomplish by other means. Off it comes.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:08:16 AM
My Canadian Navy Knife (soon to be retired, and replaced by a British Navy pattern, which is much smaller) has a marlinspike, but is huge, so I don't carry it much.   I used to dislike the corkscrew, but as models entered my EDC rotation that had it (EVO 17 Mike Horn, Camper, Marlboro Outdoorsman), I found uses other than carrying the small screwdriver, such as a marlinspike, which it gets used as often.

My advice--if you get an SAK with corkscrew, make sure it has in-line Phillips, or at least a can opener--that's why I haven't jumped on a Waiter or Compact yet.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:12:47 AM
I used the corkscrew once to take out a corroded battery from my light...

Robito Hans has a video on youtube where with the help of a long lanyard, uses the corkscrew to help secure the bottle opener/flat screwdriver and backtools so that they don't fold on you...

I think Nic Doulas has a video on corkscrew applications as well... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um Offline mzil

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:31:29 AM
There are alternative ways to open wine (if in a pinch) and I can still do that with the can opener, but the sole purpose for this particular knife [I have several SAKs] for me,  is as an emergency survival kit tool and I doubt I will miss the corkscrew much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwFa95vlf0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:39:07 AM by mzil »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:12:11 AM
Corkscrews also come in handy when explaining the lyrics of "Helter Skelter" to those unfamiliar with spiral fairground rides.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:34 AM
Are you sure it'll fit if you remove the corkscrew?  I just checked with a Master Craftsman and it wouldn't fit in an Altoids tin.  Whichever way I turned it it was still too thick.  But maybe the Altoids tins are different here.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:24:53 PM
Oh, there was also the lanyard solution that popped up, basically just have a lanyard of the right diameter and a knot in the end and twist it through the corkscrew. Might be good if you dislike the attachment point (I do).

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:54:39 PM
Does there need be an alternative use (unless you don't drink the stuff like the OP)? Opening wine is pretty damn important in Oxford_Guy's world!  :D
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 07:32:26 PM
Does there need be an alternative use (unless you don't drink the stuff like the OP)? Opening wine is pretty damn important in Oxford_Guy's world!  :D

American wine seems to be mostly provided with twist-caps. But I agree, you might not need the corkscrew very often but those time you save someones day (or your own) with it just makes it so worth it!

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 07:57:24 PM
There are alternative ways to open wine (if in a pinch) and I can still do that with the can opener, but the sole purpose for this particular knife [I have several SAKs] for me,  is as an emergency survival kit tool and I doubt I will miss the corkscrew much.
Wow.  That's cool.  I never thought of that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:02:15 PM

American wine seems to be mostly provided with twist-caps. But I agree, you might not need the corkscrew very often but those time you save someones day (or your own) with it just makes it so worth it!

In the UK it's mixture of both, as we have wines from all over the world in the supermarkets and wine shops here, but my wife is French, so we visit France a lot, and there it's very rare to find a wine bottle with a twist cap (and 95% of the wine in the shops is French), so I always ensure that the SAK I take with me has a corkscrew!
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:20 PM
Wow.  That's cool.  I never thought of that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Doesn't always work (though does some of the time), depends on the cork, but it's worth a try, if you have nothing else to hand

um Offline mzil

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 07:21:12 AM
Are you sure it'll fit if you remove the corkscrew?  I just checked with a Master Craftsman and it wouldn't fit in an Altoids tin.  Whichever way I turned it it was still too thick.  But maybe the Altoids tins are different here.
I am happy to report my Ranger (corkscrew removed) now fits perfectly, like a glove and I get a nice solid click when shutting the Altoids tin thanks to a minor hinge modification I've implemented. :tu:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:23:53 AM by mzil »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 06:02:26 PM
I am happy to report my Ranger (corkscrew removed) now fits perfectly, like a glove and I get a nice solid click when shutting the Altoids tin thanks to a minor hinge modification I've implemented. :tu:
Ummm.... Pics??  LOL

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

um Offline mzil

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 02:44:20 AM
^Instead of pics here's a sneak peek of an unlisted video I am working on which explains it all:
https://youtu.be/n4ep29h0Z-s
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:52:15 AM by mzil »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24