Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool "master kits"

Poll

Can the maker make master kits?

Leatherman
2 (100%)
Gerber
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Offline wbyrulz

• New User
Tool "master kits"
on: January 24, 2017, 05:30:16 PM
I would really like to see Leatherman sell a "master kit" of some sort. A package that includes the pliers main body along with all of the option tools. Then the buyer can put it together with the tools that they want. I'm a truck mechanic and use the original one. Because every tool that has been made keeps coming with things they don't need or no longer have the ones they used to have. Mechanics don't need wood saws, scissors, bottle openers, more than one flat screwdriver, more than one knife blade but still use the file, small-tipped awl, needle-nose, one good knife blade, all while still being small enough to get into tight areas. I like the idea of the vise grip but would still like to fold it. There are other mechanics that need different tools, so they could make their own. Make a master kit for each different tool body. Not just the original one. Some people like ones that don't fold out, with clips, etc. And it doesn't have to be just Leatherman. Gerber, Sog, whoever. I think they'd make a ton of money!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Tool "master kits"
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:54:21 AM
There's more to tool design than sticking in some screwdrivers into plier handles- it seems simple but it really isn't if you want to do it right.

That's the difference between a good tool and a cheap one and many manufacturers haven't even clued in to that.

For example, look at how all of the pieces fit together in a Swisstool versus the Multi Tasker series of tools.  Victorinox took the time to craft individual functions while Multi Tasker took various components out of an Otis kit and bolted them together in a generic plier handle set.  As such, the Swiss tool has more functions in less space and the Multi Tasker has spacers to compensate for tools that don't really fit together at all.

Sure they both work, but if you are serious about the tools you use then you probably would prefer the one done perfectly.

SOG came as close as it it possible IMHO to do a customizable tool and yet even they haven't had a serious amount of success with it, and as a result they are getting away from it too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30:45 AM
I think SOG hasn't made the separate tools as readily available as they might should have to make this work :think: There is a market for this but like Grant said you can't just throw tools in and expect them to fit :D Even when modding a tool you have to be sure to get tools in an order so that the tool itself will still close as well :cheers:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:50:27 AM
Buy used tools, dissect them, keep parts you need, sell parts you don't. The irony is, you may be able to get your money back by doing that  :P

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
I think SOG hasn't made the separate tools as readily available as they might should have to make this work :think: There is a market for this but like Grant said you can't just throw tools in and expect them to fit :D Even when modding a tool you have to be sure to get tools in an order so that the tool itself will still close as well :cheers:
Not just that, unless your plan is to open all tools as a clump and then close those you don't need, you also need to be able to reach each tool individually. If you look at thicker SAKs or the Spirit, you will see that this in itself is quite a difficult task.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%