Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Star Trek Fans unite!

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Star Trek Fans unite!
on: January 26, 2017, 05:52:35 AM
I'm a diehard Star Trek fan, it's a fantastic series, and I really enjoy it. So, what about you fine folks, which series do you prefer, who's your favorite Captain, and favorite episode/episodes?

For me I'm a Next Generation guy, and for that reason Picard is my favorite. While I like TOS, and Kirk, Picard and Riker are my favorite. What say you?
Last of the V8 Interceptors

at Offline Daark

Re: Star Trek Fans unite!
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:13:04 AM
ENT is my favourite Series as is Archer fot the Captain. But ofc he has to share his throne with Kirk. I believe Kirk must be the all time favourite captain.
As for TOS: I like it but with todays technology and what we are used to see from following series I think TOS is unwatchable for me today.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
Grew up watching and enjoying TOS, especially Spock, but my heart belongs to TNG which, along with Xena, Buffy and Firefly, bears repeated viewings. And Picard is my choice of someone to have my back in a fight (with Worf thrown in for good measure!).  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:04:49 AM
There's no denying I like :facepalm: an awful lot*, as well as the whole Next Generation.

I also love Dr. Spock, though... Commander Data is a different theme, not a direct substitute, I think.

*When I was just a lurker, the use of this particular emoticon made me feel at home for some reason... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:06:27 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:09:48 AM
There's no denying I like :facepalm: an awful lot, as well as the whole Next Generation.

I also love Dr. Spock, though... Commander Data is a different theme, not a direct substitute, I think.
Mr Spock firiki. Dr (Benjamin) Spock was a well known American pediatrician and best selling author of 'Baby and Child Care'  published in 1946. His ideas about childcare influenced several generations of parents to be more flexible and affectionate with their children, and to treat them as individuals.

I have been, and always shall be, your friend firiki. Live long, and prosper  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:20:12 AM
There's no denying I like :facepalm: an awful lot, as well as the whole Next Generation.

Mr Spock firiki. Dr (Benjamin) Spock was a well known American pediatrician and best selling author of 'Baby and Child Care'  published in 1946. His ideas about childcare influenced several generations of parents to be more flexible and affectionate with their children, and to treat them as individuals.

I have been, and always shall be, your friend firiki. Live long, and prosper  :D

Oh!...  :facepalm:  :D

magentus  :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline muddog15

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 02:21:36 PM
TNG definitely. The new movies suck big time. Just Abrams has done nothing but butcher the new movies.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:08 PM
Kirk; Balance of Terror is probably my favorite Star Trek episode of any of the series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708420/?ref_=ttep_ep15

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 03:21:33 PM
Jean-Luc!
Jean-Luc!
Jean-Luc!
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 02:28:02 AM
I am absolutely shocked that no one said Captain Sisko.

Oh wait, no I'm not.  :P

I like Captain Archer.  Whenever Enterprise was on story, and not being turned into aliens by strange viruses I thought it was far superior to the other series.  No Prime Directive, no Federation, precious few friends in the universe to help, and the ones they did have (Vulcans) they didn't like much!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 04:55:32 AM

I like Captain Archer.  Whenever Enterprise was on story, and not being turned into aliens by strange viruses I thought it was far superior to the other series.  No Prime Directive, no Federation, precious few friends in the universe to help, and the ones they did have (Vulcans) they didn't like much!

Def

I agree, I thought if Enterprise hadn't been cancelled it would have developed into a great show. I'm surprised nobody said Janeway either, Voyager water pretty good too. I'm hoping Star Trek Discovery will be a good addition to the universe, we'll just have to wait and see....

at Offline Daark

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:23 AM

Def

I absolutely agree with that. Although I have to say Season 3 was a quite strange one. The story and character of the series somewhat degraded in my opinion but taking a turn back to what makes Star Trek great in Season 4. I would have liked to see the mirror universe being explored more though.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 01:41:12 PM

Def

I agree, I thought if Enterprise hadn't been cancelled it would have developed into a great show. I'm surprised nobody said Janeway either, Voyager water pretty good too. I'm hoping Star Trek Discovery will be a good addition to the universe, we'll just have to wait and see....

I just finished watching Voyager on Netflix.  I have to say, when it was first aired I hated Kes so much that I stopped watching it.  She was like an even more annoying Wesley Crusher.

But, I decided to watch them all again (I watched DS9 before that) and I have to say that I liked Janeway a lot more than I recall liking her.  In fact, I think I liked them all better, although Kes was still a complete and utter waste.

Enterprise was great when they were stumbling around in the dark and had no idea what was going on around them.  I really liked it, as it was more of a frontier type show, unlike the ones that followed (timeline wise, not series wise!) as the Federation had lots of allies and lots of ships and were very well supported, despite drifting from time paradox to cloud monster, littering space with corpses stuffed in red shirts- and later gold jumpsuits.

The the Xindi storyline happened, and I really liked that as long as they stuck with it, but when they took episodes off to do stupid crap while the fate of Earth hung in the balance.... that was kind of dumb.  I loved seeing the dirty uniforms and the hull scarred by repeated battles without a convenient starbase to make repairs at all the time. It was very real, and, for a network show and a Star Trek episode, it got almost gritty.  Imagine if they had been able to take the kid gloves off and really explore the depths of desperation, similar to Battlestar or Stargate Universe. 

I like that they also addressed some of the real problems that the other Star Trek series glossed over. 

Apparently by Kirk's era, no one poops in space, and for sure they didn't by the time Jean-Luc's era came around since they all wore one piece outfits, and you'd have to poop nekkid.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 02:03:11 PM
You hit the nail on the head about Enterprise, I really liked it, a pity they didn't take it further.  Favourite Vulcan of all time anybody?  :facepalm:

For "traditional" Star Trek I would have to go with TNG, I never could get my teeth into the others but there is hope, maybe someday, and extended sickbed could get me into DS9  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:13 AM
If you are ill already then don't watch DS9 as it will be the end of you.

The Dominion Wars episodes are good, but thy seem to only do 2-3 of them per season and the rest of the time they seemed to forget that there was a war going on so they could concentrate on other, more important things like Jake's writing assignments or Sisko's live life.

I wanted to like DS9.  I really tried.  I binged all of the episodes and I'm glad I did, but more so that I can warn others away from it than any sense of enjoyment.

Def

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 05:16:34 AM
From what I've heard of DS9 you hit the nail on the head.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 01:50:00 PM
In one episode Jake was mind raped by a space cougar.

Seriously.

I'm not making that up.

Mind raped.

Space cougar.

That alone is enough reason to avoid it.

But, if you need more convincing, a 1960's Era Las Vegas lounge singer becomes a regular character and dispenses advice to everyone but Sisko who won't go near him because that era in human history was horribly racist.

I really wish I was making that up, but I'm not.  I'm incapable of making up something that remarkably dumb, and I wonder how those writers justified cashing their paychecks each week.

I'm guessing the brainstorming sessions were more about "what do you think we can get away with this week?" rather than "what can we do to grow the characters or advance the storyline?"

:facepalm:

Def

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 08:24:44 PM
Wow, that sounds like more than enough reasons to avoid it for me.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 10:19:58 PM

They might as well install a revolving door to the Mirror Universe because someone comes or goes from there almost every third episode, and Smiley (O'Brien's Mirror Universe persona's nickname) pretty much spends as much time on DS9 as O'Brien does.  I hope Colm Meaney at least got double pay for that.

And then just after Jadzia and Worf get married, she dies, probably from an overdose of bad writing, but her Trill worm thing comes back an an adorably spunky but very awkward and neurotic New Dax, when all we really want is Dax Classic.  The show then becomes largely about the new dynamic between Worf and this person that both is and isn't his wife.

And Jake wins something akin to a Space Pulitzer for writing about the war that is still going on but no one seems to notice.

Nog joins the Federation and Sisko repeatedly gets hurled back in time to be reporter writing fiction about the adventures of Commander Sisko and his Space Army for a racist newspaper that has him committed, and Odo is the editor, and everyone else is other reporters, local sports heroes and so on.

Oh yeah, and it turns out that Dr. Bashir isn't just young and brilliant, he's actually about as smart as a brick but his parents took him to the highly illegal Khan School of Genetic Engineering to have his brain hotrodded.  From that point on, every time you see him someone comments on his altered and enhanced genome.  He goes from being an annoyingly rapey young doctor to being the ultimate in cool, at least in his own mind, while his crewmates take advantage of his enhancements.

And Kira remains as two dimensional as in the very first episodes- don't expect her to develop a personality as she humps her way through the station, the Bajoran Vatican and somehow also becomes the daughter of a prominent Cardassian military officer or something.

On the one hand I wish I was making that all up.  On the other, I am glad I didn't, because I am proud not to be responsible for that disgusting mess.   :facepalm:

Def

Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 11:06:54 PM
First started watching TOS when I was around 8-9 years old. Secretly, when my parents worked outside.
A whole new world for me, brilliant.

Then came TNG, even more exciting, with Picard! Only Wesley could spoil TNG, and I was really sad when TNG finally ended.

Then came DS9. I watched maybe 4-5 episodes and was so disappointed that I never got into Star Trek again :-(

Tomcat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 12:10:07 AM
Give it another shot.

Voyager was better than DS9 and Enterprise is better than Voyager (minus a few dumb episodes here and there) and the new movies are actually pretty fun if nothing else.

Def

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 12:43:10 AM
The new films got me again, that's true!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21