Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First-time changing/upgrading scales.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
First-time changing/upgrading scales.
on: January 29, 2017, 09:15:26 AM
There once was a man named Peter who lost his SAK to a Screener...

The stars aligned for me this past week and I found a pre '05 (Rostfrei Stamp) Climber on that auction site for a great deal.  The tools were in like-new condition but the scales were in pretty rough shape, peeling off, and stamped with the name of an unlucky man who apparently only used his SAK to level the table.... and to donate to TSA.  (TSA = The Swiss Army?!?!?  Coincidence???)

I personally love black scales, I love black plus scales even more. So, I had a spare set waiting for just such an occasion.  The Climber has always been one of my "top 5" but often loses to the Compact for me because I love having that pressurized pen in there.  You see where I'm going, I ditched the old scales and replaced them with the black plus scales.  This was my first time replacing scales on a SAK, and I probably didn't follow SOP but it got done.  Peeling the old scales off was easy as there was already a little space in between and one of the scales was peeling at the end. Getting the new scales on tightly without a vice was a little more challenging, after a lot of pushing it against the table (wrapped in a soft cloth) there was still a tiny gap so I ended standing on it!  This is probably not recommended but I used flat-bottom boots and put most of my weight, about a buck eighty, on it. After that there was no gap and all the tools still opened and closed tightly with a good snap.    I'm pretty happy with the results.   Anyone else have a scale-tale to share? Pro tips? Anyone want to tell me I shouldn't stand on my SAK?  I mean, that sounds like it's a thing: "Don't stand on your SAK"   

WP_20170128_15_13_13_Moment(4).jpg
* WP_20170128_15_13_13_Moment(4).jpg (Filesize: 90.31 KB)
WP_20170128_15_41_57_Moment(2).jpg
* WP_20170128_15_41_57_Moment(2).jpg (Filesize: 75.67 KB)
WP_20170128_16_26_21_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170128_16_26_21_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 114.95 KB)
new bp.jpg
* new bp.jpg (Filesize: 108.76 KB)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:18:23 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Re: First-time changing/upgrading scales.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:22:59 AM
I normally use a small bench vice... otherwise pounding on it with our fists also helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:54:50 AM
Nice job :tu:

I've used a bench vice but also wrapped the warmed up knife in a towel and beaten it with a rubber mallet  :twak:!    Well, it worked :whistle:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 03:56:16 PM
 :like: Great job and sharp Climber!  Timely in that I've scales on the way to do a replacement, too, as I've never done it before.  Luckily I have a vice downstairs :ahhh
Barry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:09:16 PM

I've used a bench vice but also wrapped the warmed up knife in a towel and beaten it with a rubber mallet  :twak:!    Well, it worked :whistle:

Just don't use a claw hammer. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:11:06 PM
Oh and "don't stand on your SAK" is definitely a thing. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 04:16:58 PM
Just posted this on the "What did you use your Sak on today?" thread, but it was appropriate here too.

Changing scales on a couple of new backup Tinker´s today  :D
It takes patience on the vice to get the new scales flush with the outer liners, to give it a factory look. And when you tighten, you have to let it sit for a bit before you slowly relief pressure on it. Don't forget that plastic (cellidor) has some elastic proprieties, when you use pressure to fit it, you have to you tighten and hold it there for a while so it sits and then very slowly release the pressure. If you press and release instantly they will spring up a bit and there will be some gaps between the scales and the liners.

P.S.: Oh... and before you ask... Yes, they are all red. I'm a real sucker for the classic red scales and probably always will be :D
Scales changing.jpg
* Scales changing.jpg (Filesize: 367.3 KB)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:20:35 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 04:44:39 PM

:like: Great job and sharp Climber!  Timely in that I've scales on the way to do a replacement, too, as I've never done it before.  Luckily I have a vice downstairs :ahhh
I normally use a small bench vice... otherwise pounding on it with our fists also helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody!   Love my new Climber plus.  It shall be my go-to for a while...  I can feel my other EDC SAKs getting jealous already. 
 I didn't think about warming it up, seems like that would definitely help.

Oh and "don't stand on your SAK" is definitely a thing. :D

Haha!  How did I guess?  :twak: :rofl: :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 04:48:56 PM
Just posted this on the "What did you use your Sak on today?" thread, but it was appropriate here too.

Changing scales on a couple of new backup Tinker´s today  :D
It takes patience on the vice to get the new scales flush with the outer liners, to give it a factory look. And when you tighten, you have to let it sit for a bit before you slowly relief pressure on it. Don't forget that plastic (cellidor) has some elastic proprieties, when you use pressure to fit it, you have to you tighten and hold it there for a while so it sits and then very slowly release the pressure. If you press and release instantly they will spring up a bit and there will be some gaps between the scales and the liners.

P.S.: Oh... and before you ask... Yes, they are all red. I'm a real sucker for the classic red scales and probably always will be :D

There is something infinitely classic and simple about red Tinkers.  My father gave me my very first SAK at age 8 before a fishing trip.  It was a Tinker.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 04:53:48 PM

Just don't use a claw hammer. :D

No. I keep that for when things don't go as they should! :rant:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD