Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Executive

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Vic Executive
on: February 09, 2017, 01:38:56 AM
So, I happen to have a opportunity to buy a used Vic Executive for a good price. It seems to be in great shape as far as internet pics can show. Should I buy it? Is the toolset really useful at all? Because I do realize it has some weird tools... Anyway, what do you guys think?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Re: Vic Executive
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:44:44 AM
Pic!

Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:10 AM
Do you eat alot of oranges? Doesn't matter. Buy it.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 01:51:08 AM
Do you eat alot of oranges? Doesn't matter. Buy it.
Oh god I don't want to go down that path.

Or do I?

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:34 AM
I'm just kidding. Look at the tool set. Is it something you could get a lot of use out of? Mine stays in my coat pocket for the days I carry a SAK without scissors. Good enough reason for me to buy one, but everyone has different needs. Toothpick and tweezers come in handy when you carry alox also.  :tu:

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 02:36:41 AM
I have one.  I'm on the fence with mine. I like the small blade which I have extremely sharp. The long blade is just long enough to use to cut food. Mine is old enough that the scissors don't have a channel for the spring to glide in,  so the spring tends to move to the side, which drives me crazy.  The orange peeler I think is sometimes misunderstood. It's actually a draw knife on the 90 degree notch which works great for oranges and can open plastic clamshell packaging.  The small serrated edge can cut lots of things like fingers,  but can also be used to scrape fingernails.
The nail file is more coarse than the one on a 58mm, but works great on fingernails. It doesn't smooth dry patches of skin like the one on a Classic can.  The Phillips driver will work,  but the file is thin enough to flex tortionally.

It's definitely heavier than a Classic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline redmond

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 03:55:26 AM
I've carried one for 30+ years and love it. The name says it - Executive. Works well in the office for simple tasks like computer connectors, fingernail care, toothpick, tweezers, scissors, oh, and cutting open boxes, packaging, etc. It is not a heavy duty tool for car repair.
 :tu:
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:24:01 AM
I carried one daily for 7 years and it was a great companion :tu: but I carry a Ranger now as it has much more on it but the Executive is a very useful SAK IMO :cheers: :like: :like:

The file and scissors are the best for trimming and maintaining fingernails as well :tu: Plus the file can double as a small Phillips 2D driver :cheers:

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 09:36:17 AM
I've carried one for 30+ years and love it. The name says it - Executive. Works well in the office for simple tasks like computer connectors, fingernail care, toothpick, tweezers, scissors, oh, and cutting open boxes, packaging, etc. It is not a heavy duty tool for car repair.
 :tu:
Seems good to me. Sometimes I feel the Super Tinker is a little too much for my daily needs in school. The only thing I'd miss is the cap lifter screwdriver... But I think it's worth the less bulk.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:43:46 AM
I was also considering a Midnite Minichamp, but I can't seem to find a used one for sale, not even a regular one without the light

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 04:51:51 PM
The Classic is a great SAK.  Simple straightforward tool set however sometimes its that one extra tool you wished you had that keeps the Classic off my keychain, I use a Manager.

The Minichamp is jam packed with tools.  It was an instant love affair with mine.  Theres a couple of blade options which I quite like and the picker blade that works wonders on clam shell packaging.  The little Philips is really nice plus it has the bottle opener.  The spatula otherwise known as the coke spoon is a good general tool.  I've used mine for scraping and as a wide flat driver also I've used it for a very light pry tool.  I like having the pen instead of the tooth pic.  Its a much wider tool than the Classic but IMO worth the width. 

The Executive is an interesting tool.  I showed a picture with the Classic, MiniChamp and 91mm ( Explorer ) to show where it sits size wise.  The tool set is a good one.  I particularly like the file and longer scissors vs the 58mm line.  The 2 blades are great.  As you can see the Executive small blade is about the size of the 58mm.  The nice thing is if you need a little more blade length theres the larger one available. 

The orange peeler is a veritable cutting tool.  The tip is a flat driver/light pry tool/scraper, be creative.  It feels really thin in hand ( in my hands that is ). 

I like adding the Executive to my carry when I want to carry Alox.  It has a different enough tool set that compliments Alox very well. 

IMG_2267.JPG
* IMG_2267.JPG (Filesize: 213.89 KB)
IMG_2268.JPG
* IMG_2268.JPG (Filesize: 221.7 KB)
IMG_2269.JPG
* IMG_2269.JPG (Filesize: 232.86 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02:17 PM
So, I happen to have a opportunity to buy a used Vic Executive for a good price. It seems to be in great shape as far as internet pics can show. Should I buy it? Is the toolset really useful at all? Because I do realize it has some weird tools... Anyway, what do you guys think?

I think you mentioned pairing up a Spartan with a Classic and the Executive is in a way a Classic on steroids. It still has many of the pros of the Classic and it's not to much bigger but the small blade on the Executive is smaller than the one on the Classic meaning that you have access to one for detail work and one for slightly bigger work. I also prefer the Executive nail file to the Classic. It can be used to flatten out dings and remove burrs in softer metals, I used it on the aluminium frame on my phone where it had marks from dropping it on the ground.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 07:09:38 PM
I was also considering a Midnite Minichamp, but I can't seem to find a used one for sale, not even a regular one without the light

Can't go wrong with any of those two, in fact they are my two favorite SAKs of all time, and they are the ones I carry the most.
Both are true champions and the greatest option in their respective sizes, IMO

Get both, I say!   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 08:52:07 PM
I have dozens of them. Needless to say I like them :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:49 PM

Can't go wrong with any of those two, in fact they are my two favorite SAKs of all time, and they are the ones I carry the most.
Both are true champions and the greatest option in their respective sizes, IMO

(Image removed from quote.)
Get both, I say!   :salute:
Get none, my wallet says! Something tells me as soon as I get a job my first paycheck will be gone in seconds when I go to the mall and stroll by a Victorinox display.
I would really like the Minichamp to take on a keychain, as it's a little smaller so it would fit more comfortably on it. Do you think the Exec is too bulky for that kinda stuff?

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 10:00:12 PM

I think you mentioned pairing up a Spartan with a Classic and the Executive is in a way a Classic on steroids. It still has many of the pros of the Classic and it's not to much bigger but the small blade on the Executive is smaller than the one on the Classic meaning that you have access to one for detail work and one for slightly bigger work. I also prefer the Executive nail file to the Classic. It can be used to flatten out dings and remove burrs in softer metals, I used it on the aluminium frame on my phone where it had marks from dropping it on the ground.
Indeed.
Just saw a brand new Spartan for a good price so I might as well purchase it and the Executive. That way I would not miss the cap lifter screwdriver and would still have scissors. Would only miss the hook.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 12:03:58 AM
I think the Executive is right at the line of too big for keychain carry without crossing over.  Its thin so in a way it makes for a slim carry if that makes sense  :think:.  Did I just say the same thing twice?

Anyway.  The Minichamp is great.  I personally wouldn't get one with a light tho so no midnight mini for me.
Esse Quam Videri

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:28:52 AM
Ok, you guys convinced me. Bought it. Should arrive next month, will post pictures here if I remember to hahah

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 04:31:55 PM
Ok, you guys convinced me. Bought it. Should arrive next month, will post pictures here if I remember to hahah

:ahhh :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 12:46:54 AM
It arrived!! Sooner than expected :D
It's quite dirty, any tips on how to clean it? At least it's sharp though.

Also any tips on dating it?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 08:24:25 PM

Congratulation, I hope you're happy with it! Dating is a bit harder when the knife in question isn't 91 mm but I would presume that the scissors approximately follows the 91mm (screw -> steel rivet -> brass rivet). I also know that the orange peeler has changed, older ones don't have the serrations if I remember correctly. For cleaning warm water and soap is usually the best way, make sure it can dry out afterwards and then apply some oil. There are a few guides about polishing scales around as well.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 09:48:47 PM

Congratulation, I hope you're happy with it! Dating is a bit harder when the knife in question isn't 91 mm but I would presume that the scissors approximately follows the 91mm (screw -> steel rivet -> brass rivet). I also know that the orange peeler has changed, older ones don't have the serrations if I remember correctly. For cleaning warm water and soap is usually the best way, make sure it can dry out afterwards and then apply some oil. There are a few guides about polishing scales around as well.
Congrats!  I'm curious.  Do your scissors work ok,  or does the spring pop out of place?  I'm tempted to get another Exec to else the classic at my desk.
Thanks

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 01:34:20 AM

Congrats!  I'm curious.  Do your scissors work ok,  or does the spring pop out of place?  I'm tempted to get another Exec to else the classic at my desk.
Thanks

They work fine, the spring is just a little worn so it's not as tight as a new one. But it doesn't snap off by any means

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%