Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

help identifying unknown vic

ally · 14 · 1549

gb Offline ally

help identifying unknown vic
on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:12 PM
hey all

this knife has come up on a local site, I thought it was a handyman but no pliers but has a fish tickler, help appreciated!

:)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: help identifying unknown vic
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:51:24 PM
It's a Handyman. Victorinox reuses names all the time for different knives. This is the original version of the Handyman made before the pliers were introduced in 1986.

gb Offline ally

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:09 PM
thanks jazz

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:18:56 PM
I have one of these as well, sakwiki refers to it as a "swiss army brands" Handyman but I'm not sure what all that means.

Cool SAK!
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:19:56 PM
By the way, jazzbass, could you please explain me, what the difference between early Handyman / Craftsman and 6-layers Champions?

AFAIK, Champions might have LNF, but it's not a mandatory condition. Any other rules exists?
Thanks in advance.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:00:05 PM
By the way, jazzbass, could you please explain me, what the difference between early Handyman / Craftsman and 6-layers Champions?

AFAIK, Champions might have LNF, but it's not a mandatory condition. Any other rules exists?
Thanks in advance.

So like I say above Victorinox are the masters of knife name reuse. So the "Champion" early on (pre-Swiss Champ) really meant the biggest, best knife they made. Pre-1974 that meant the older 6-layer design with the LNF in keeping with the idea of having all the tools and being the best. In 1974 they introduce the new magnifier/phillips layer and the new 7 layer "Champion" is born. No LNF though - around this time there is a concerted effort to get rid of the LNF on most 91mm models (the Climber LNF is the only 91mm model to survive - the Cadillac, Huntsman LNF and Champion LNF versions all disappear post 1974).

In putting together my ever-expanding book, I have had to define parameters around what defines a particular knife model and what does not. Because model names are so inconsistently applied over the years, I don't use them as a way to group models together (is the Craftsman a 4 layer 84mm knife, a 6 layer 91mm knife, or a different 6 layer 91mm knife?). Instead I use the set of tools included in the knife, and here I have tried to follow Victorinox's (somewhat inconsistent) "rules" - one of which is that the presence of the LNF defines a different model.

So in my categorization, the Champion LNF is a different model than the 6 layer Craftsman, and not variations of the same model. Likewise the Huntsman and Huntsman LNF are considered different models. This is opposed to other backspring tools like the fine screwdriver, the presence or absence of which is considered a model variation and not a different model (e.g. the Grand Prix).

So, according to my categorization, you have the following different distinct models:

1. Champion CS LNF (Model 246fmaU) - 6 layers, LNF, corkscrew, 1952-1974
2. Champion LNF (Model 146fmaU) - 6 layers, LNF, Phillips, 1952-1974
3. Handyman Original (Model 236fmaU) - 6 layers, corkscrew, 1973-1986
4. Craftsman Original* (Model 136fmaU) - 6 layers, Phillips, 1973-1986
5. Champion (Model 1.5793/1.6783) - 7 layers, mag/Phillips, 1973-present

* Craftsman Original is not a great name here, because the *real* original Craftsman is the 84mm knife most people call an Artisan. C'est la vie.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:29 PM
I'm ready to pre-order your book!!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:44:20 PM

Same here. Looking forward to it. 

gb Offline ally

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:40 PM
and me....

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:47:22 AM

I'm ready for it to be delivered!
-JJL

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:18:11 AM

I'm ready for it to be delivered!

Hope there is a Kindle version!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:25:52 PM
I also had the same problem identifying this very SAK last year.
The Wiki was not very clear on the older version - before the fish scaler was swapped for the pliers  .

So I updated the Wiki to try and make this clearer
..... And ended up editing the Handyman, Craftsman, Master Craftsman, Champion pages to clarify the models, tool selections and various changes to these models.
Not as fully or as detailed as JBs info above - But I hope it is clear(er) now - Please let me know if not !   

I have one of these as well, sakwiki refers to it as a "swiss army brands" Handyman but I'm not sure what all that means.

The Wiki is somewhat biased towards the North American market (eg model availability, naming etc) - 'Swiss Army Brands' was the company that sold Victorinox SAKs in the US.
But we should probably remove this reference as I am sure the model was worldwide.
Is that correct JB? 

PS.
I'm ready to pre-order your book!!!!!! 

So glad this is still happening and ......
Me too....
Where shall I send the money  ???  :tu:

And to comment on an earlier query you had on the book - I think from an old thread I read recently
Hardcopy please for me - I want to sit on my sofa and browse and flick through a real book not an electronic one   ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:06:00 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 05:41:47 PM
What if...the hardcover book came with...a special limited edition SAK?!

:gimme:
-JJL

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:02 PM

Thanks in advance.

So like I say above Victorinox are the masters of knife name reuse. So the "Champion" early on (pre-Swiss Champ) really meant the biggest, best knife they made. Pre-1974 that meant the older 6-layer design with the LNF in keeping with the idea of having all the tools and being the best. In 1974 they introduce the new magnifier/phillips layer and the new 7 layer "Champion" is born. No LNF though - around this time there is a concerted effort to get rid of the LNF on most 91mm models (the Climber LNF is the only 91mm model to survive - the Cadillac, Huntsman LNF and Champion LNF versions all disappear post 1974).

In putting together my ever-expanding book, I have had to define parameters around what defines a particular knife model and what does not. Because model names are so inconsistently applied over the years, I don't use them as a way to group models together (is the Craftsman a 4 layer 84mm knife, a 6 layer 91mm knife, or a different 6 layer 91mm knife?). Instead I use the set of tools included in the knife, and here I have tried to follow Victorinox's (somewhat inconsistent) "rules" - one of which is that the presence of the LNF defines a different model.

So in my categorization, the Champion LNF is a different model than the 6 layer Craftsman, and not variations of the same model. Likewise the Huntsman and Huntsman LNF are considered different models. This is opposed to other backspring tools like the fine screwdriver, the presence or absence of which is considered a model variation and not a different model (e.g. the Grand Prix).

So, according to my categorization, you have the following different distinct models:

1. Champion CS LNF (Model 246fmaU) - 6 layers, LNF, corkscrew, 1952-1974
2. Champion LNF (Model 146fmaU) - 6 layers, LNF, Phillips, 1952-1974
3. Handyman Original (Model 236fmaU) - 6 layers, corkscrew, 1973-1986
4. Craftsman Original* (Model 136fmaU) - 6 layers, Phillips, 1973-1986
5. Champion (Model 1.5793/1.6783) - 7 layers, mag/Phillips, 1973-present

* Craftsman Original is not a great name here, because the *real* original Craftsman is the 84mm knife most people call an Artisan. C'est la vie.

I am also interested in your book when it is ready for delivery.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%