Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerPlay vs Leatherman Wave

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
SOG PowerPlay vs Leatherman Wave
on: October 26, 2021, 05:57:57 PM
So, I found a 1st gen Leatherman wave last week, and I slapped a Nite Eyze (sp?) adhesive clip on it and have been EDCing it. I'm currently doing some hvac and trim work in my house (fixing sticking doors), and so it was a good time to try out a new multitool.

I'm really happy with the saw. It helped me remove a wooden shim that was in there tightly and nailed through as well. The blades all work great. The phillips driver is non-locking on my Wave as it's an early model, but it fits screws well and doesn't cam out. The file is decent.

However... I couldn't really put a lot of force on the jaws. I wasn't able to pull nails out of trimwork with the pliers, they had no grip strength. I tried with my Gerber blunt-nosed MP600 and had no problems. Then I tried my SOG PowerPlay and it was way, WAY easier than even the Gerber.

Side by side, the PowerPlay and the Wave are very similar. They both have eyeglass drivers (though the SOG actually fits my glasses screws, the Leatherman doesn't). They both have OHO PE blades, OHO SE blades, saw, and a file. Both have bottle opener can opener and a few drivers. The PowerPlay is missing scissors, otherwise it's a VERY comparable tool to the Leatherman Wave. The one hand opening is awesome, as is the grip strength. I'd say I wonder why this tool didn't take off as an obvious winner for SOG, but then a little use reminds me why. The phillips driver in particular is junk. It cams out of screws far too easily. The file is also dull and smooth and of little use. I end up using a phillips driver constantly, and I love that it's an external tool on the SOG, and thus easily accessible... it's just a bad driver unfortunately.

Are all PowerPlays like this? Or did I get a dud? They're not expensive on the 'bay, and I'd be willing to buy another if there's a chance of getting a usable phillips driver at least. 

I really like the PowerPlay, and I'd love to see SOG make another similar tool. Preferably one with a pocket clip, a sharp file, and a good phillips driver.

Charles.

Offline zmnedaniel

• New User
Re: SOG PowerPlay vs Leatherman Wave
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 11:56:44 AM
Hey!

Just got mine and inted to use it extensively in the spring. I will let you know onece I tested it.

Cheers!
Daniel

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG PowerPlay vs Leatherman Wave
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 04:42:18 PM
Sadly SOG has been struggling with quality issues, and the PowerPlay came out during probably the worst of it.  But, you have hit the nail right on the head with the Leatherman problem- their fit and finish is much better, but I often find the design is lacking a bit, such as having an eyeglass screwdriver that doesn't actually fit the screws in eyeglasses.  Or a combination can and bottle opener that tends to puncture bottle caps more than lifting them.  Or all these One Handed Opening tools that only either function for righties, or have half the functions that one hand open with the right hand, and the other half with the left hand.

Today's Social Media post is another good example- the Reactor.  While the overall quality of the tool is lower than the Freestyle or Skeletool it is set to compete against, it has all of the function of the Skeletool, but in the size of the Freestyle.  And, just to add insult to injury, it also has an assisted opening blade, with neither the Freestye or Skeletool have.

I was also sure that when I opened this thread I was going to see praise for the Wave, which would be understandable, as it is absolutely one of Leatherman's best tools to date- I love the Wave myself.  I was going to respond by posting price comparisons and say that a better comparison would be against the Leatherman Rev, which is such an awful piece of junk I think the Leatherman design staff who worked on it should be locked in an airtight chamber connected to the restroom at a Mexican restaurant.

But that's a rant for another time!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%