Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Parents beware

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Parents beware
on: October 04, 2008, 09:59:04 PM
My son has been acting like a complete butt the last few weeks. Normally he's a pretty good kid and listens to me. Then I saw this article on a local news website.

http://www.ky3.com/news/contactky3reports/30203379.html

My son's Dr prescribed him Singulair a few weeks ago. Needless to say that I am going to take him off of it. He has been a complete different child lately, full of anger and extremely difficult to work with.

So if any of y'all have kids on this you might want to reconsider.

When the Dr prescribed it I looked online for side effects but I didn't find anything major like this. It's just luck that I saw it.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: Parents beware
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:01:36 PM
One word: whoa.

Wait, I guess that makes three.

And that makes even more.

Okay I'll stop now.

I only have experience with ritalin and it didn't focus me, just put me to sleep. I'm hesitant to take any drugs I don't need.
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:03:25 PM
Tough break fella's, I'm extremely wary of giving my boy any medicines at all :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 10:05:19 PM
 :o I reckon you've done the right thing DTH - better safe than sorry!

I used to come here a lot.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:13:26 PM
I had a tutor at college who hated doctors he said that "they refer to themselves as the medical practise they have been around for thousands of years and they are still practising thats why I stay away from the beggars" DTH glad you caught this one before anything serious happened to your son 

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:13:41 PM
Doctors are paid by the drug companies to peddle as much medication as they can to whomever they can.

I don't trust them.
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 11:17:44 PM
I have been caught a few times by medications with side effects that are not publicly advertised.

Now, I always carefully research any newly prescribed in great detail before taking it. Unfortunately, you can't just rely on the official documentation.

I also try to avoid newer medications where the side effects may not yet be known.
[

Offline kent ct

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 02:32:47 AM
Doctors almost always take the easy way out. Patients want a magic bullet that will take away their problem with no effort on their part. This almost never works.

Drugs should never be taken except as a last resort, after making diet and life style changes. Prescription drugs are dangerous. That's why, by law, they are only prescribed by doctors. Too often doctors do not adequately follow up their patients. And frequently they just do not know.

A good doctor with years of experience (very rare) can pretty accurately size you up in one minute. Getting you to follow his advice is another matter, which most are not capable of. So they just give up and give you the damn pill and you go away happy.

You are responsible for your own health. Research problems on the internet to find alternate safe therapies. Do what common  sense tells you to do. Only use drugs as a last resort when all else fails.

Richard

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 04:20:41 AM
I had a similar situation when I took Actos(a medication for diabetics), it threw me into suicidal bouts of depression.

And for a knife collector,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!! :o
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 04:29:29 PM
This is something Mrs Bison and myself have talked about,in fact talked about in the past couple days. For years the public complained that the FDA took years to approve a medication for general use.Then the powers that be caved in to pressure from the public,possibly the drug companies too,and began fast tracking meds,relaxing the formerly rigorous controls that were in place.And now the consequences are beginning to show up.I just don't know if any happy medium exists to get a drug that's safe to market quickly.
I

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:49:54 PM
Its just amazing how careless that company is, teach them a lesson and sue their asses off.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:01:19 PM
Of course you did the right thing.  The only thing I would say is, make sure you talk to your Doctor about it.  He/she will want to know that it has had this affect on your son and will want to try and find a better solution to his problem.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 06:02:07 AM
The last dose he had was Friday night and I think I can already tell a difference. He was a bit more calm and level headed today but he still had a time or two where he went nuts. I'm hoping it'll all be out of his system in a day or two. Of course I was sicker than a dog yesterday, my wife was sick today so I'm sure my son will be sick and grumpy tomorrow. I just can't win!!
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 07:58:06 AM
I just can't win!!
That's what being a dad is all about :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 01:17:03 PM
This is something Mrs Bison and myself have talked about,in fact talked about in the past couple days. For years the public complained that the FDA took years to approve a medication for general use.Then the powers that be caved in to pressure from the public,possibly the drug companies too,and began fast tracking meds,relaxing the formerly rigorous controls that were in place.And now the consequences are beginning to show up.I just don't know if any happy medium exists to get a drug that's safe to market quickly.

Chances are extremely remote  :think: :-\
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 01:48:31 PM

Chances are extremely remote  :think: :-\
          Actually there's 2 chances......slim and none
I

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:45 PM
Well I'm glad to report that my boy is back to usual. He's been real good all day just playing and having fun. I am so glad I found this early.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%