Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Undercover Carry- 30 Day Swisscard Challenge August(ish)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Undercover Carry- 30 Day Swisscard Challenge August(ish)
Reply #90 on: August 24, 2022, 06:22:57 AM
Great save!
Barry

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: August 24, 2022, 01:35:02 PM
Thanks, Michael. Very moody. The reflections in the water are a nice bonus.  :tu:

I hope you had fine holidays.

Cheers mate, it was a good trip. :tu:

And cheers Barry and BPR.

Day 23

Back to boring. The pen got another run out...

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: August 24, 2022, 10:25:56 PM
Day 24

Card and envelope writing.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: August 25, 2022, 02:19:34 AM
Day 29

Wife talked me into getting a pedi. Here's the Nailcare with our nails, after care.

Missed having a blade today. Work had free breakfast (nice!) but no knives to cut the sausage (boo!)

* pedi.jpg (Filesize: 131.71 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: August 26, 2022, 03:15:26 AM
Day 30

End of the line! Used the pen at work today. I think over the course of the month, I used everything on the Swisscard and Shard except for the straight pin.

Feelings at the end of the month for the Swisscard:

1. Lots of tools in a fairly small package.
2. But not a very convenient package. I carried mine in my wallet partially to protect it (I've heard of people breaking them by sitting on them) and partially because that's the intended design, and it's a pain to get out and open my wallet, get out the card, then pull out the tool.
3. No problem getting it through security over a dozen times across several venues.

Overall, good way of incorporating the grooming related tools that a lot of us use our 58-74s for, plus one or two extra goodies.

For the Shard:

1. Adding a prybar/bottle opener to the Nailcare covers most of the basic bases (besides a blade) and adds an extra driver option.
2. Uncomfortably pointy, but not horrible in the pocket. Would do better on a carabiner keyring or something.
3. Didn't go through security as many times as the Nailcare, but also never got stopped.

As a combo for security-safe multitools.

Either one is more capable than most OPTs I've carried over the years. I think the Nailcare is a very safe bet, since most places allow small scissors with minimal fuss. The Shard feels like a little more of a risk (it's pointy and metal!) but at $7, I think it's a worthwhile dice roll.

For not carrying a blade:

It sucks! I was worried about going scissorless for the Spartan challenge last month, but I learned to get by with the small blade without too much trouble. There were quite a few times this month where I wanted a blade and the scissors couldn't fill in.

I think this was the most challenging of the challenges I did this year, and I will be very glad to get my knives back tomorrow!

* day30.jpg (Filesize: 28.63 KB)

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: August 26, 2022, 09:50:14 AM
Well done on finishing, mate. :tu: It's been an interesting month, that's a definite.

Day 25

Out for a walk in the rain.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: August 26, 2022, 03:15:16 PM
Thanks, Michael. Home stretch now, bud, you got this!

One more bonus use that I had a couple times this month, but don't think I ever shared. The Shard is great for opening the flap on cat litter boxes, which I find often try to fold the wrong way or scrape/pinch my fingers when I try to do it otherwise. Shard is removed from my keys and chilling in the cat stuff box until next time I travel. My usual Executive is cleaned, sharpened, and back on its carabiner.

* litter.jpg (Filesize: 25.05 KB)

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: August 27, 2022, 01:04:22 PM
Catching up.

Day 26

Ale (and water!) at the cricket.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: August 27, 2022, 01:06:17 PM
Day 27

Still at the cricket!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: August 27, 2022, 10:53:00 PM
Day 30

End of the line! Used the pen at work today. I think over the course of the month, I used everything on the Swisscard and Shard except for the straight pin.

Feelings at the end of the month for the Swisscard:

1. Lots of tools in a fairly small package.
2. But not a very convenient package. I carried mine in my wallet partially to protect it (I've heard of people breaking them by sitting on them) and partially because that's the intended design, and it's a pain to get out and open my wallet, get out the card, then pull out the tool.
3. No problem getting it through security over a dozen times across several venues.

Overall, good way of incorporating the grooming related tools that a lot of us use our 58-74s for, plus one or two extra goodies.

For the Shard:

1. Adding a prybar/bottle opener to the Nailcare covers most of the basic bases (besides a blade) and adds an extra driver option.
2. Uncomfortably pointy, but not horrible in the pocket. Would do better on a carabiner keyring or something.
3. Didn't go through security as many times as the Nailcare, but also never got stopped.

As a combo for security-safe multitools.

Either one is more capable than most OPTs I've carried over the years. I think the Nailcare is a very safe bet, since most places allow small scissors with minimal fuss. The Shard feels like a little more of a risk (it's pointy and metal!) but at $7, I think it's a worthwhile dice roll.

For not carrying a blade:

It sucks! I was worried about going scissorless for the Spartan challenge last month, but I learned to get by with the small blade without too much trouble. There were quite a few times this month where I wanted a blade and the scissors couldn't fill in.

I think this was the most challenging of the challenges I did this year, and I will be very glad to get my knives back tomorrow!

Badge awarded !   :cheers:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: August 28, 2022, 01:35:07 AM
Thanks, Steve!

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: August 28, 2022, 11:30:23 PM
Nice one on the badge! Almost there myself now...

Day 28

When you get end up staying out later than planned and get home a bit pissed, the intended takeaway curry turns into this...

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: August 29, 2022, 11:27:24 AM
I think we’ve all been there, MichaelGT83…… :facepalm: Congratulations on the badge BPRoberts!  :cheers:

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: August 30, 2022, 07:08:45 AM
Day 29

On the road repairs.

Almost there...

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: August 30, 2022, 10:05:52 PM
Day 30

Done! Opening some Red Leicester Mini Cheddars whilst watching the cricket down in Sussex.

It's late and I'm currently waiting for my train from Euston back up to the Glorious North to depart after a long day, so final thoughts will come tomorrow.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: August 30, 2022, 10:51:34 PM
Congrats, Mike! Thanks for coming on the journey with me.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: August 30, 2022, 11:14:49 PM
Cheers mate! And no worries, it was an enjoyable month and a definite education.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: September 01, 2022, 09:00:02 AM
There's not a lot I can add to wait BPR posted above, but having a month of using the Nailcare has really made me think about the things it could be used for. Being an office wallah there's not much of a day to day call for having a knife/tool on me, but having the Nailcare to hand has helped me fix most problems I came across. Work wise, there was just one day on my dinner break where I missed having any sort of blade on me, but I managed to get by.

Away from work, for quick fixes with scissors a Classic still feels a better fit to me. As already mentioned, having to get out my wallet, then get out the card and then get out the scissors takes time and can sometimes bring attention when you're just trying to quickly snip something. I'm looking forward to just whipping my keyring out and doing what needs doing in a fraction of the time.

But it's a handy tool and I definitely won't be without it at anytime soon. The badge has been applied for and I feel like I've got proficiency in Nailcare skills, now. :D

Still, the Alox Classic is back on the keyring and we're ready to rock and roll properly again. Now for the keychain challenge...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #108 on: September 04, 2022, 04:18:14 PM
Great job 👍. I really enjoyed following along on this one!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD