Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tools besides multitools

Pacu · 14 · 1130

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Tools besides multitools
on: October 04, 2008, 11:38:49 PM
So what tools do you use at home or on the job besides your multitool? I use alot of electrician type tools like linesman pliers, fishtape, pipe cutter and cable cutters for running rg in the ceilings of my stores. Oh and i go thru boxes of nylon zipties in a night. Need to retire my Klein diagonal cutters as they are falling apart after 3 years hard use.
:like:    :MTO:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Tools besides multitools
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:46:09 PM
So what tools do you use at home or on the job besides your multitool? I use alot of electrician type tools like linesman pliers, fishtape, pipe cutter and cable cutters for running rg in the ceilings of my stores. Oh and i go thru boxes of nylon zipties in a night. Need to retire my Klein diagonal cutters as they are falling apart after 3 years hard use.

My soft round buttocks, a $5,000 computer and my mighty grey matter, such are the tools of a businessman.

The most common tool I use is possibly scissors (carry the PST for work), and sockets/spanners.

Most other tasks, the Multis handle with varying levels of competence.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:21:00 AM
Tools besides multitools   ??? ??? ???

(I sometimes forget there is such a thing) :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:26:50 PM
The tools I use most at work are a laser temperature gun, digital camera and my PDA/phone.  I can take notes on site, but my opinions and observations can always be picked apart by lawyers and insurance companies, so my digital camera covers me better than my notebook ever did in the old days.  The PDA/phone allows me to stay in contact with anyone I need to, and also has a built in digital camera so I can instantly send off pictures etc to illustrate what's going on on site and receive additional instructions if necessary. 

I also carry a Fisher Bullet Space Pen, small flashlight (usually the Gerber Infinity Ultra), the Topeak Mini 9 (allen keys are handy things!) and I keep a few more doodads in the truck like a GPS, hard hat, coveralls, rain gear, tie downs, chains and a power inverter.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:42:34 PM
I'm a electrical contractor, so I use tools all day, every day.  The multi comes into play when I don't want to run back to the truck for a specific tool, or I'm in an attic or crawlspace or 200 ft in the air on a tower and don't want to come down. :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 02:27:22 AM
I like your signature Viking don't know how long you have had it there but your probably not the only 1 waiting on any kind of pic from LM 123 ::)  :D

and to go with the thread I may sound like a broken record but I use tools everyday as well as a bricklayer, like Viking said I use a MT so I don't have to track tools down.  I don't usually ever have dedicated pliers or screwdrivers or anything that comes on a MT  :cheers:

Offline Biru

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:35:27 AM
As my own auto mechanic, I use a variety of import and US-manufactured hand tools. I occasionally do charity/pro bono electrical work for the elderly and indigent in this area (I'm not licensed in this region, so I'm careful just how far I go and what jobs I perform), and have an erotic attachment to Klein electrical tools. If I ever get to Klein's factory, I'd imagine it'd be much like a visit to the Playboy mansion! :D

In my former job as a guitar amp tech, I primarily used fine electical tools, soldering equipment, and various electronic meters. I knew it was time to slow things down when I kept forgetting to unplug the item being serviced. Fortunately, my life insurance was paind up at the time... :o

Regards, Bill.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39:56 AM
As my own auto mechanic, I use a variety of import and US-manufactured hand tools. I occasionally do charity/pro bono electrical work for the elderly and indigent in this area (I'm not licensed in this region, so I'm careful just how far I go and what jobs I perform), and have an erotic attachment to Klein electrical tools. If I ever get to Klein's factory, I'd imagine it'd be much like a visit to the Playboy mansion! :D

In my former job as a guitar amp tech, I primarily used fine electical tools, soldering equipment, and various electronic meters. I knew it was time to slow things down when I kept forgetting to unplug the item being serviced. Fortunately, my life insurance was paind up at the time... :o

Regards, Bill.

Klein does make the best electrical tools.   :D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 02:43:48 AM
I have a really nice Craftsman mechanic socket set (the one just below the biggest set they have).  Just used it the other day to install a brush bar on my Blazer.

I also have a great Craftsmsn screwdriver set that I use often.

I found an awseome Stanley hammer (I think it sells for like $45) in a box of unclimed storage at my job, along with a handful of sockets and an Ace Hardware ratchet (which I like better then my Craftsman ratchet).

In my truck I have the down and dirty users...a mish mash of chinese made tools and name brands in a filthy toolbox :D  Along with that is a pretty good socket set from Wal Mart including Allen wrenches, various bits, etc..
[

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 03:03:25 AM
As my own auto mechanic, I use a variety of import and US-manufactured hand tools.

Regards, Bill.

Same here, between me and friends we probably have more tools than a small garage, asides from huge tools like floor lift.  ::)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 04:06:34 AM
I have a flashlight I use as a hammer and a hammer I use as a screwdriver. I use the screwdriver to pry stuff open. And lots of duck tape to cover the holes I make in stuff.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 05:03:24 PM
Why does that sound familiar? :think:

On the farm I use all kinds of sockets, hammers, screwdrivers and etc trying to keep the farm machinery pieced together. In the fields, this is where my MT and SAKs come in to play, which is mainly trying to stay one step ahead of a disaster or a machinery meltdown. Baling wire and duct tape gets use quite a bit here.
At work, I am a night shift custodian at O.U. and this is where our multis and saks get used a lot to fix stuff. The management thinks we are not smart enough to use tools or able to fix small things that we run across every day. Now that I think about it, most of use at work carry some kind of a sak or multi. 

Nate

SEND IT!

Offline Biru

Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 05:42:36 PM
I've recently started collecting Wizard-brand tools. My baby niece and I were walking a few years back and I found this cool pear head Wizard socket wrench lying beside the road. Then, amazingly, I found the smaller version of it in excellent condition at a flea market for 1 dollar US. I took it as a sign. I don't have any sockets for them yet, but they seem to be nice tools. From what I glean, they were sold through Western Auto in the US as a sort of competitor to Craftsman. I still probably prefer the Craftsman for brute work, but Wizards have a knid of finished quality which is attractive.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 06:47:31 PM
i use pretty much Mac tools,kamasa,bahco,snap-on,beltzer,´and some miscellanous german made tools.germans are the best to my opinion but also priced like monsters >:(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%