Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great SAK Retirement Thread

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: The Great SAK Retirement Thread
Reply #30 on: March 12, 2020, 07:44:41 PM
There are a few ways that it works in my mind.  You have to be a bit nostalgic about your tools (and other inanimate objects in your life) for it to make any sense, so there's that underlying theme. 

One view is that it's a permanent pivot in your tool rotation  >:D based on some aspect of nostalgia rather than pure need. 

As mentioned, another thought is to preserve something as an heirloom - either received or to be handed down.

A third is a deliberate change in tools to get maximum use out of a tool I like but have to special reason to carry. 

I am in a similar situation as smiller in that my SAKs are similar - and my preference is for 2 or 3 layer models... especially 2 layer.  When choosing between the Compact and the PioneerX, I had always picked the Compact.  When I was in the mood for an Alox, or stronger tools, I picked the Soldier.  The option of stronger tools and the scissors was there, but three layers always seemed to lose out to two.  Putting the Solider on the shelf makes the 93mm Alox tools on the PioneerX a "unique" benefit.  I like the PioneerX and would liket o get more use out of it. 

My Soldier is in remarkable shape, and at some point, I plan to pass it along to an interested collector.  I personally don't consider myself a "collector" as years, versions and variations don't interest me as much.  Hopefully one of you may be excited to own a 2005 Soldier.   So I want to keep it in as good a shape as I can. 

Then there's nostalgia - some of my tools... my Champion, Wave, MP600, and my Soldier have wonderful stories to tell.  So do my hiking poles, one particular pair of boots, coffee mug, backpack, guitars. old passport,...  Among those, the MP600 sadly has the fewest stories but paradoxically had been riding quietly in the back seat for some of the best trips.  Those days are gone.  The stories for the PioneerX are just beginning.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2020, 08:54:25 PM
There are a few ways that it works in my mind.  You have to be a bit nostalgic about your tools (and other inanimate objects in your life) for it to make any sense, so there's that underlying theme. 

I think I fell at the first hurdle  :rofl:

Thanks for the explanation though. I can appreciate some aspects of it more than others, such as wanting to get more use from an underused tool.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline carolinel

• New User
Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 04:40:38 PM
It's always tough to say goodbye to something that's been such a loyal companion, you know? But it's also a cool opportunity to reflect on all the memories and experiences you've had with it. I think it's awesome that you're thinking about passing your Soldier on to a collector. I'm sure there's someone out there who would love to add it to their collection. And it's cool that you have other items in your life that have stories to tell too, like your guitars and hiking poles. ( link removed by moderator )  It's always better to be informed about all the existing options.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 04:42:15 PM by Aloha »

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #33 on: February 27, 2023, 07:04:32 PM
My first SAK, a late 90s Explorer, is effectively retired in the sense that I don't use or carry it. I even bought a brand new Explorer last year to use if I get the urge to carry that particular model.

That's the only SAK I've retired though. All others are subject to be used and carried.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%