Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic soldier tool thickness

us Offline boatman422

Vic soldier tool thickness
on: September 07, 2018, 03:34:04 PM
Greetings! I was hoping the wealth of knowledge in this forum could provide an answer to a quick question.

I’m looking to pick up my first Victorinox Solider, and have looked at many pictures / videos of the same. All seem to comment on the thicker, unpolished tool set present on these knives.

I think I noted somewhere that within the run, these tools eventually reverted to a similar thickness of the commonly available Farmer and Pioneer.

Is this correct? If so, is it known when the switch was made? I’d hate to get a newer solider, expecting the heavy-duty tools, only to have something different show up.

Many thanks.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Vic soldier tool thickness
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:44:27 PM
You are correct about the switchover.  I'm not certain about when that occurred, but I'll bet the answer is somewhere here on the forums.

I'm thinking that it happened sometime in the early 2000's, if not in the late 90's.  The older tools aren't really that much more heavy-duty, they just aren't as polished so they tend to grip fasteners a bit better.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:45:43 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:38 PM
You are correct about the switchover.  I'm not certain about when that occurred, but I'll bet the answer is somewhere here on the forums.

I'm thinking that it happened sometime in the early 2000's, if not in the late 90's.

1993 I think it was. Sometime in the middle of the year, I think. My 1993 still has the thick, unpolished bottle opener with sharpened cap lifter.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:46:24 PM
That is probably more accurate than my guess.  1993 was the last year of the hollow rivet on the Victorinox soldiers, but I thought the unpolished tools were around longer than that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:48:25 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 05:46:57 PM
There is a similar thread on this topic here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77831.0/topicseen.html
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD