Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 18026

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #120 on: January 04, 2018, 10:42:18 PM
The Explorer Plus is a wonderful SAK.  Its really hard to justify carrying anything else SAK wise if you can carry the layers.  I find myself carrying mine randomly and not carrying my Swisschamp at all.  Its a weird place to be in when I know how awesome my Swisschamp is but I cannot justify it.  My P4 is my constant companion.  I know I'll need or want pliers so it stays.  I wish I would like my Cadet more.  I mean I do but like you I like the mag glass and inline phillis too much. 

I did some minor plumbing today and the Skeletool was invaluable.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: January 05, 2018, 07:33:20 PM
Hi Aloha

Always interesting to follow your progression. The fact that you have taken to carrying your Explorer over your Champ makes total sense to me, even never having carried either myself.

Who wants to carry 8 layers in the pocket when you can carry 4, and an LM P4?

I don't have any of the tools mentioned, but I have a new PS4 and a Mountaineer. I also have a Tinker Deluxe. Both are 4 layer like the Explorer. That's just about my limit for SAK pocket carry - 4 layers.

And for me, if I were just going to sheath carry a SAK, I'm just upping to a Leatherman anyway

The P4, and by extension the PS4, can, as you say, fit right into the fifth pocket, the ole pocket watch pocket, and you may not even remember it's there until laundry day. And such a great little tool. It's like a Yorkshire Terrier - little, but with a lot of hear and doesn't give up.

The PS4 plyers are far better than those of the Deluxe Tinker or Swisschamp. Between an Explorer or Huntsman or Mountaineer in one pocket and a P(S)4 in the change/ watch pocket, you are pretty well covered.

One day maybe I will seek out an Explorer. I like the idea of corkscrew AND proper Phillips head
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:38:28 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: February 27, 2018, 05:23:04 PM
Well hello friends and fellow MTOers.  Back again.  Lets see where I am today.  As of my last post I mentioned I get bored but really its about evolving or fine tuning.  Since my last post I've carried my Skeletool CX and Explorer Plus when leaving my home on my off days.  My little sheath has stayed home.  What a powerful combo the Skele and Explorer.  This past Sunday I felt I needed a larger plier and blade as compared to my P4 and 84mm Tinker.  The Skele is just enough tool to get work done without feeling under powered, if you will.  The blade is wonderful, its really a lovely blade in 154cm. 

Scissors.  Dagoneit I have to have them.  I have to.  58mm are great but........  Sigh.  I had a fail.  I was adjusting my blinds and trimming the cord.  My little 58mm just couldn't bite hard enough.  My 91mm snips it like it was thread.  Truth be told my Spirit had a hard time to.  Took two bites to get through.  The scissors on the Spirit IMO are its weakest feature.  I vote for 91mm scissors as a replacement.     

I was also fixing my vertical blinds gearing/wand control assembly that same day.  The blinds wouldn't rotate so I was using my P4 to remove the gear housing when sadly, fail.  The screws were just to tight/wide/hard to turn.  My Skele to the rescue as I put away the Spirit after the fail.  Interesting I'm still learning the P4s limits which is a good thing.  Around the house I tend to carry a MT just because it makes sense for me.  Having the fail at home with the 58mm and P4 is good learning.  I know their limits and can carry accordingly when going out.  I dont hold the fail against the Spirit as I will continue to carry it.

I'm rather surprised I am liking the Skele so much tho.  I've had one since 2013 and just didn't care for it.  When I got the CX I carried it then put it away.  I'm glad I decided to try it again.  I've cut cable wiring tho it took 2 bites.  I've made several adjustments on my lawn mower and around the home with no issues.  Its still a learning process with it but so far so good. 

My P4 and 84mm Tinker aren't in jeopardy just yet.  This combo however has always had limits.       

So where am I?  I like the P4 so that stays.   I am seeing larger scissors do have their place.  Do I bump the 84mm Tinker for my 84mm Golfer yet loose the can opener?  That combo tool is not to my liking.  I have played with the idea that my Executive really fills the niche but still no can opener.  I have learned that scissors on anything less than 91mm are a compromise.   Well, until I gave my Micra a shot.   The Micra is a tool I haven't had much time with.  I've been paying with mine more and more.  The scissors as I use them are rally nice.  More on that as I continue to play.   

Alright enough babble without having said a darn thing.         
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #123 on: February 27, 2018, 05:44:55 PM
:worthless:

:pok: :pok:

Yeah, like you don't know/own the tools you mention...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #124 on: February 27, 2018, 06:09:29 PM
But of course.  No 84mm Golfer.  I like the idea but that combo tool  :twak:.  For now, for today as I prepare to leave the house to run errands.  I will take my Skeletool and Explorer. 
IMG_4524.jpg
* IMG_4524.jpg (Filesize: 244.99 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #125 on: February 27, 2018, 06:15:44 PM
But of course.  No 84mm Golfer.  I like the idea but that combo tool  :twak:.  For now, for today as I prepare to leave the house to run errands.  I will take my Skeletool and Explorer.

With those you can make great EDC combos.

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: February 28, 2018, 06:01:17 AM
Great thread Aloha.

We are accustomed to tools and having a certain amount of metal around our middle. Truth is, unless it's a cellphone, most everyone else isn't.

I've been finding that a PS4 in the coin pocket + a Camper (or you could use a Farmer) in a front pocket + Micra on the keychain...is a very capable and unobtrusive combination. No single piece jumps out at me as being out of place, nor are these tools flimsy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: February 28, 2018, 06:48:41 AM
I agree those are a very capable trio of tools.  I haven't given my Micra much of a chance.  I've always seen it as purely scissors.  I think for me I tend to gravitate to tools with outside accessibility.  Having to open a Micra in the greater scheme isn't a big deal but I'm all for convenience. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #128 on: June 06, 2018, 06:00:13 PM
Hello all.  Its been a bit since my last post here.  Lets get right into it. 

I am still a huge fan of my Leatherman Squirt P4.  Theres just no way around it, the tool performs!  While I don't always need a full size plier I like have something more than just my finger tips.  The P4 also has some nice implements on board. 

Pocket Wrench 2.  This is a great tool.  Its a multitool which makes it worth carrying.  Its flat, so find space for it is easy enough.  I am a firm believer in having a dedicated pry tool with me at all times.   

Fenix LD02.  If you have one then you understand how simple and nice a light it is.  3 modes activated my a tail click.  It has a pocket clip which can be reversed so the light can be clipped to the bill of a hat. 

SAK.  Theres been a new development here.  My 84mm Tinker was my go to.  I played around with my Cadet 2 as well.  I even tried my 84mm Golfer.  Then it just happened, the stars aligned, the SAK Gods presented me with my 84mm Super Tinker/Salesman....  << sounds of harps, angelic music >>.  Oh boy!  I am pretty stoked and have been since getting it over the weekend.  I tried to like the combo tool.  I tried to do without a fuller sized scissor.  What can I say, the 84mm Golfer while nice, misses the mark for me.  The Cadet 2 is without scissors.  For now, my new to me precious will be my go to.   

So there you go.  Not much changed for the most part.  The tools above represent my faithful companions that I don't question capability or dependability.  They are proven time and time again.  I don't believe I'll need to "test" the 84mm Stinker/Salesman so I think the above statement holds true for it even tho its new to me.   

IMG_5095.jpg
* IMG_5095.jpg (Filesize: 239.73 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: June 06, 2018, 06:28:41 PM
I have 2 keychains.  One is for car keys and one my house keys. 

My house key chain is on a Victorinox belt hanger.  I really like this way to carry my keys.  I dont like clipping keys to my belt loop.  On my house key chain are, house keys (2), 2 pill fobs, faux ton light, and most importantly my Fenix LD02 and Manager.  There have been unchanged for a long while.  I do want to change out the cheap light but since I have my Fenix LD02 its not a priority.  My Manger also serves as my pen when I need one.   

My car key chain is a Leatherman Biner.  I was using a niteize biner but since I had this I wanted to try it out.  Its been really nice but larger than I need.  I may switch back to the niteize biner.  On my car keychain are, my car key and alarm fob, camper top keys (2), Photon X light, Leatherman #5.  Typically when I leave I am off to work so the Leatherman #5 serves as my work pry tool/scraper.   

If I am running errands its nice to have a dedicated pry tool.  In this scenario I leave my PW2 at home.  If I am sticking close to home then I won't have my keychains with me so my PW2 my go to pry tool.  Hope that made sense.

IMG_5096.jpg
* IMG_5096.jpg (Filesize: 221.77 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #130 on: June 06, 2018, 06:47:04 PM
Stinker?! You may not like it, but there's no need to be rude...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #131 on: June 06, 2018, 06:49:53 PM
Does that leather Vic pouch have a hole for the light? The cut-out is to allow you can press the light button, right? Can the light be used without taking the SAK out?

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #132 on: June 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM
This whole thread began when I decided I didn't need to carry a full size MT on my day off.  I like to carry something on me even when at home.  I wanted something easy to carry when running errands.  Its been fun trying things and seeing what works.   

So far my Squirt P4, PW2, Fenix LD02, and 84mm S.Tinker/Salesman have proven worthy of off day carry.  I am not a full time pocket knife guy.  I like having one but usually my MT serves as my pocket knife on work days.  Since I am not carrying a MT on my off days I still wanted a knife that could serve multiple purposes.  My SAK has 2 blades and my P4 has one.  Yes I could get by with 3 blades but I wanted something OHO.  I look around a thought a Dragonfly would be a great choice.  I was incredibly stunned and super thankful by the generosity of NIX  :2tu: :hatsoff:  who gifted me a Dragonfly. 

This knife has proved to be everything I had wanted in a knife for my days off.  I know a lot of you don't require a OHO knife but I am in the opposite camp, I love a OHO knife.  I absolutely love this Dragonfly.  I carry it clipped to my shirt pocket.  Its really a "little BIG knife".  My 84mm SAK is more of a razor blade for me, knife wise.  I live in California for those that may not know.  I am legally allowed to carry any sized folder I want.  I live in a city with a lot of military which means a lot of guys who carry and use knives.  I am not worried about people giving my looks when I use a knife BUT I tend to be discreet non the less.  The Dragonfly can be taken out of my shirt pocket and used, put away, all without the slightest of looks.  Its size lends itself to discreetness.  My 84mm is actually a tad longer tho the shape of the Dragonflys blade is wider.  I do know ZDP can get crazy sharp.  I've only stropped the blade and its been a joy.  The tip is a needle.  This knifes ease of carry and utility on my off days has been a true joy. 

My humblest thanks to NIX.   :hatsoff: :2tu:

IMG_5097.jpg
* IMG_5097.jpg (Filesize: 222 KB)
IMG_5098.jpg
* IMG_5098.jpg (Filesize: 221.73 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #133 on: June 06, 2018, 07:11:34 PM
The next process was how would I carry my off day tools.  I made a sheath for my Squirt and Tinker.  I liked it very much especially since it held both tools very compactly.  The only issue was where would I keep my PW2 and light when I was home?   I leave my PW2 and Fenix at home when off and needing to run errands since I have my Leatherman #5 and Fenix on my key chain set ups.  At home however the PW2 and Fenix needed a spot in my pocket or ?

I have a Skinth that was a viable option.  I guess I could have tossed everything into my pockets?  Naw, I dont like that Idea.  The Skinth is nice and holds everything.  Its got a belt clip so its easy on and easy off.  Not as compact as my pocket sheath but again it holds everything.  I've bounced back an forth between the two carry options and haven't declared a winner just yet.  When I do carry my home made pocket sheath I put the SAK in my coin pocket or just directly into my pocket.  The Fenix I either clip to my shirt pocket or put in my coin pocket with the cap slightly unscrewed in case of accidental activation.     
IMG_5100.jpg
* IMG_5100.jpg (Filesize: 186.91 KB)
IMG_5099.jpg
* IMG_5099.jpg (Filesize: 177.38 KB)
IMG_5101.jpg
* IMG_5101.jpg (Filesize: 60.48 KB)
IMG_5102.jpg
* IMG_5102.jpg (Filesize: 166.01 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #134 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:06 PM
Stinker?! You may not like it, but there's no need to be rude...

:whistle:

:rofl:  affectionately known as Stinker. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #135 on: June 06, 2018, 07:13:58 PM
Does that leather Vic pouch have a hole for the light? The cut-out is to allow you can press the light button, right? Can the light be used without taking the SAK out?

There is a "hole" in the front.  I think you are right, its possible for the light activation.  My guess is the sheath is meant for a LED 58mm.  My Manager doesnt have a LED but I like how the shield shows thru the hole. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #136 on: June 06, 2018, 07:20:57 PM

There is a "hole" in the front.  I think you are right, its possible for the light activation.  My guess is the sheath is meant for a LED 58mm.  My Manager doesnt have a LED but I like how the shield shows thru the hole.

Probably it's meant for it. I must try to make a similar pouch for my Midnite Manager. The pouch I use now is meant for Classics, I need a wider one and, if I can get it to let me use the light, without taking the knife out, that'll be nice, too.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #137 on: June 06, 2018, 07:37:45 PM
Last but not least is my choice for........  Idiots :think:  :D.  I have not used it nor intend on it nor want to but there are plenty of idiots that come and go in and around us.  I'm pretty level headed and very easy going.  I manage to avoid BS since I am not one to engage with stupid people.  It really would have to be a situation that demanded use. 

I have one in my vehicle keep close at hand and one I have been keeping on my belt.  I struggled with how to carry it and pocket carry just wasn't working nor did it seem a good idea IF I needed it in a hurry.  I have a simple ranger band ( bike inner tube ) cut and placed on my belt.  The canister attaches very securely with little or no imprint.  I am legally allowed to carry a certain amount of pepper spray and while this canister looks large it falls within the legal parameters.  I'm a lefty so its carried on my left side just forward of my left front pocket.  No issues getting my wallet out ( I carry my wallet front left pocket ). 

Pepper spray may not be your thing but its a little bit of piece of mind for me.  I also got my girls and friends some too.  I had one incident where I reached for it but I quickly assessed the idiot and realized he was drunk and no threat.     
IMG_5103.jpg
* IMG_5103.jpg (Filesize: 161.25 KB)

* IMG_5104.jpg (Filesize: 51.59 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #138 on: June 06, 2018, 07:40:44 PM

Probably it's meant for it. I must try to make a similar pouch for my Midnite Manager. The pouch I use now is meant for Classics, I need a wider one and, if I can get it to let me use the light, without taking the knife out, that'll be nice, too.

8) 8)

This came with a Classic.  I wet formed it to fit my Manager.  Its snug but comes out easy enough without worry it'll come out.  I have had it on my keys now for a good while with no issues.  I tried to make one but mine came out too large.  I love the sheaths you made so I think you can make a nice one for your Midnight Manger. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #139 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:22 PM
Last but not least is my choice for........  Idiots :think:  :D.  I have not used it nor intend on it nor want to but there are plenty of idiots that come and go in and around us.  I'm pretty level headed and very easy going.  I manage to avoid BS since I am not one to engage with stupid people.  It really would have to be a situation that demanded use. 

I have one in my vehicle keep close at hand and one I have been keeping on my belt.  I struggled with how to carry it and pocket carry just wasn't working nor did it seem a good idea IF I needed it in a hurry.  I have a simple ranger band ( bike inner tube ) cut and placed on my belt.  The canister attaches very securely with little or no imprint.  I am legally allowed to carry a certain amount of pepper spray and while this canister looks large it falls within the legal parameters.  I'm a lefty so its carried on my left side just forward of my left front pocket.  No issues getting my wallet out ( I carry my wallet front left pocket ). 

Pepper spray may not be your thing but its a little bit of piece of mind for me.  I also got my girls and friends some too.  I had one incident where I reached for it but I quickly assessed the idiot and realized he was drunk and no threat.     

well done, I also carry one and used it once only, might have saved my life.
I also made a sheath for it (also fits Juice sized tools) with hard plastic tube, heat and a belt loop I added, will try not to hijack your thread too much with my pics  :whistle:

Show content

the spray is sabre brand, carried often at 11 in the belt

wise choice in today's world. :salute:  And all the oher gear you carry,  8) :like: kewl as usual! :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #140 on: June 06, 2018, 10:25:54 PM
Pictures are more than welcomed.  I like to see how and what others carry, especially gear thats time tested and carried interestingly.  The pepper spray is good till 2021, as Sabre gave it a exp date.  When that time comes like any old unused pepper sprays go, we'll spray them.  We've recently used up some old ones going thru a mock dog attack.  Its fun to run thru "what ifs" especially to see how quickly we can draw and spray.  When I cycled I was often chased by dogs and had a water bottle ready for them.  Water + Vinegar + Hot pepper = back the eff off.  Worked well enough to not need anything else. 

Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #141 on: June 07, 2018, 11:57:47 AM
Great stuff mate.  :tu:  My light duty carry hasn't changed much if I'm honest. 

The Vic Rambler has just lived on my keys for months and I've basically no reason to change it. 

For a pair of pliers I've played with a Gerber Dime that I like the pliers and bottle opener on, but it's still never going to replace my Squirt P4 as the rest of the Dime I find a bit....meh. :shrug:

For a light then I just can't get past my Eagletac D25A clicky, though if I'm going seriously light the Nitecore Tube is excellent. 

For a slightly bigger blade I've been a bit more varied.  I've been using a mix of 84mm SAKs and traditional knives.  Vic Sportsman and Case Mini Trapper likely topping the bill.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: June 07, 2018, 12:34:02 PM

8) 8)

This came with a Classic.  I wet formed it to fit my Manager.  Its snug but comes out easy enough without worry it'll come out.  I have had it on my keys now for a good while with no issues.  I tried to make one but mine came out too large.  I love the sheaths you made so I think you can make a nice one for your Midnight Manger.

Thanks, man! If/when I get one done, I'll post the pics/specs here.

:salute: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline temo

Reply #143 on: June 07, 2018, 12:43:19 PM
I found squirt ps4 and freestyle very light carry and a good set of tools. Example I needed to assemble latters I could use ps to hold a bolt while used freestyle to tie a nut. But also always thinking other options :) Both freestyle and squirt are light so can't push pliers too much. But for heavier options need to upgrade to heavier carry. For hold and tie type of tasks I think keychain tool is good to have even bigger tool have drivers and pliers as well.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #144 on: June 07, 2018, 02:05:15 PM

- Ruger EC9s in an Aliengear Cloak Slide OWB holster:  I always carry a firearm, and usually a single stack 9mm that hits that sweet spot between utility and ease of carry
- Victorinox nail clipper:  folds flat; case prevents pocket from getting shredded
- Explorer Plus:  favorite SAK; tons of utility.  Love the inline phillips like God intended for mankind.
- mini Sharpie: until you carry one, you don't realize how often you'll use it
- Spyderco Dragonfly:  quick deployment for most cutting tasks
- Streamlight Stylus Pro: long runtime, 2xAAA Eneloop, simple on/off functionality.  Works when you needed it.
- Knipex 6" pliers wrench: amazing tool that replaces a toolbox full of crescent and adjustable wrenches; sometimes carry the smaller 5".  Smooth jaws remain parallel throughout their range of motion.
- Maxpedition phone holster with top strap removed (carries a Samsung J7, which provides most of the functionality of the high end Samsungs at 25% of the cost).

The nail clipper, Explorer Plus, Sharpie, Dragonfly and Stylus Pro ride in my LF pocket; Knipex in my RF or verticle pocket on 5.11 Taclite Pro pants.  Gun and phone on belt under t-shirt.  I am accustomed to this setup, and don't notice that I'm carrying anything.  The time-tested core of this EDC are the Explorer Plus, Sharpie, Dragonfly and Stylus Pro.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:07:07 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #145 on: June 07, 2018, 03:11:55 PM
I found squirt ps4 and freestyle very light carry and a good set of tools. Example I needed to assemble latters I could use ps to hold a bolt while used freestyle to tie a nut. But also always thinking other options :) Both freestyle and squirt are light so can't push pliers too much. But for heavier options need to upgrade to heavier carry. For hold and tie type of tasks I think keychain tool is good to have even bigger tool have drivers and pliers as well.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

I've played around and carried my Skeletool CX which is a nice plier and has the bit driver.  When I do carry it I feel the need to also carry a bit card.  I know the 2 bits with the Skeletool are plenty but having that bit driver just screams carry a bit card.  I have left all of my day off tools home and just carried the Skeletool and PW2.  I did feel very comfortable with that combo.  The PW is a great companion to a plier based tool.  You can hold a bolt while you tighten with a plier.  You can also tighten one too.  It has the 1/4 hole for bits too.  Its really a terrific tool.  I probably should have said I like to carry a dedicated pry tool but it must perform more functions than just prying.  My Leatherman #5 can also tighten nuts and bolts but honestly, not as well as my PW2.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: June 07, 2018, 03:18:58 PM
Great stuff mate.  :tu:  My light duty carry hasn't changed much if I'm honest. 

The Vic Rambler has just lived on my keys for months and I've basically no reason to change it. 

For a pair of pliers I've played with a Gerber Dime that I like the pliers and bottle opener on, but it's still never going to replace my Squirt P4 as the rest of the Dime I find a bit....meh. :shrug:

For a light then I just can't get past my Eagletac D25A clicky, though if I'm going seriously light the Nitecore Tube is excellent. 

For a slightly bigger blade I've been a bit more varied.  I've been using a mix of 84mm SAKs and traditional knives.  Vic Sportsman and Case Mini Trapper likely topping the bill.

Glad to hear the tools have continued to prove themselves.  I also had a Dime but the P4 is IMO just a better tool.  Having a 58mm on a keychain to me is a no brainer.  You get a great pair of scissors plus some scale tools.  The little blade is a razor blade which is very handy to have.  The D25A has served you very well.  While I have nothing but love for my Fenix LD02 during the winter darker months I will grab my Zebralight or Olight S1R.  I've lit up a parking lot with them.  I grocery shop at a small store nearby that has dim lights.  I've gotten out of my car and boom lit that place up.  I also light it up when return got my car to load in groceries.  I put the S1R on my hat light a headlamp.  I just love lights that have clips than can do that.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #147 on: June 07, 2018, 03:37:59 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

- Ruger EC9s in an Aliengear Cloak Slide OWB holster:  I always carry a firearm, and usually a single stack 9mm that hits that sweet spot between utility and ease of carry
- Victorinox nail clipper:  folds flat; case prevents pocket from getting shredded
- Explorer Plus:  favorite SAK; tons of utility.  Love the inline phillips like God intended for mankind.
- mini Sharpie: until you carry one, you don't realize how often you'll use it
- Spyderco Dragonfly:  quick deployment for most cutting tasks
- Streamlight Stylus Pro: long runtime, 2xAAA Eneloop, simple on/off functionality.  Works when you needed it.
- Knipex 6" pliers wrench: amazing tool that replaces a toolbox full of crescent and adjustable wrenches; sometimes carry the smaller 5".  Smooth jaws remain parallel throughout their range of motion.
- Maxpedition phone holster with top strap removed (carries a Samsung J7, which provides most of the functionality of the high end Samsungs at 25% of the cost).

The nail clipper, Explorer Plus, Sharpie, Dragonfly and Stylus Pro ride in my LF pocket; Knipex in my RF or verticle pocket on 5.11 Taclite Pro pants.  Gun and phone on belt under t-shirt.  I am accustomed to this setup, and don't notice that I'm carrying anything.  The time-tested core of this EDC are the Explorer Plus, Sharpie, Dragonfly and Stylus Pro.

Getting conceal carry permit her in SoCal is like winning the lotto, probably harder.  I'd probably get one but thats a whole other story.  I agree the Explorer Plus is a wonderful SAK.  It really has everything you could want in a pocket knife.  My core tools aside, I do like to add in things from time to time because its fun and because I like certain tools.  The Explorer Plus is one of them,  I now have 2, one old style and one new style.  Mini sharpie!!!!  Preach brother, preach.  I am a convert to the mini sharpie.  I tried to buy cheap knock off mini sharpies but never again.  I may have even posted about it.  I have one on my tool belt for work, one in my vehicle, and while I don't actually carry one on off days regularly I do add one to my keychain from time to time.  I may need to just keep it on there.  I put a dot of superglue in the little cap above the cap so it doesnt pop off my keys.  I've had a couple run away.  Can the Dragonfly really be the best EDC knife?  For me, yes.  I like that orange color a lot.  I'm glad I'm late to the Dragonfly party.  I've seen a few I'd probably would have bought instead of all the MTs I did.  The HAP40, a purple one, V-Toku2 and SUS 310 Laminate Blade, etc.  Would have been a neat collection. 

Finding a set of go to tools does make carrying them easy.  I like knowing each of my tools capabilities and how hard I can push them.  I know when I can help and when to back away. 
IMG_5126.jpg
* IMG_5126.jpg (Filesize: 187.22 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #148 on: June 07, 2018, 05:29:17 PM
Those mini Sharpies are only available during "back to school" days, so I buy several in August and then use them throughout the year.  I have Dragonflies in black, orange, purple, yellow (serrated in H1 steel) and G10.  They are one of my favorites of all time due to their utility to size ratio, performance and aesthetics.  Hard to beat in an EDC knife.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=665

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:31:41 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #149 on: June 07, 2018, 05:30:48 PM
 :dd:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds