Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry 6525

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,691
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »
The ZL may have  :rofl:.  My partner always goes into strobe and then tosses it to me to say, "this stupid light".  :facepalm:

I do hope there's relief more days than not my friend soon.   :salute:

Its just so darn crazy how this come on.  My daughter friends mom,   :D.   Ok so she come down with some disease, some strange rare condition that nearly left her paralyzed.  She's been battling it now a year.  She's just now got up with the help of a walker tho she needs to be in a wheelchair or scooter.  She's a fighter like you so she decided to walk on her own and sadly broke her ankle. 

She is getting better but its gonna take time.  I do hope in your case you too.  Sooner actually. 

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,515 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2019, 11:42:19 PM »
Cheers mate  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Hero Member Posts: 910 Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2019, 12:39:03 AM »
I just added 3 aaa flashlights to my carry options (Olight i3t, Maratac copper and Olight i3e). In addition, I also bought a i1r (very nice keychain light) and I have a Rovyvon a2 (650 lumens) keychain light on the way. I have a Nitecore TUP and ordered a Thrunite t1.

In knives, I always carry my Vic Huntsman, but have a Vic Vagabond on the keychain for my car and a MiniChamp on the Harley keychain. I often rotate my second pocketknife.

I was inspired by this post to shake up my options a bit to be more task specific.

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
 :salute:

Sounds like you've got some great options.  The Vagabond and Minichamp are powerful SAKs.  I can see why you chose them. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »
:salute:

Sounds like you've got some great options.  The Vagabond and Minichamp are powerful SAKs.  I can see why you chose them.

Definitely. With my Maratac Copper aaa flashlight and Vic Huntsman in my pocket, feel ready for almost anything.

« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2019, 01:48:50 AM »
I used to throw together different survival kits as a way to refine practicality. I had different sized packs, bags, boxes etc that I would use to set up these survival kits. I have to admit, it was kind of fun to sit with like-minded friends and think of scenarios we might face, and how size efficient we could make the kits. I had my Maxpedition bag set up with most of the items I thought I might need, but had a small Otter Box kit and even a couple of Altoid tin kits I made. To and outside observer, these activities may make us look like fringe survivalists, but the reality was that it made us more efficient outdoorsmen because we had to look at actual situations we might face. A lot of talk went into real world situations that people had faced in the past.

I was darn good at lighting a fire without matches or a lighter. I had a ferro rod that I had grown quite proficient with. Then, during a hunt a couple of years ago, when the temperature was extremely frigid, I decided I would build a fire for me and a buddy to warm up with. When my fingers were numb from the cold of sitting on a deer stand all morning, I found the ferro rod a little harder to work with. The longer I went without fire...and without my thick gloves on...the harder it was to throw sparks. I added a small cigarette lighter to my carry items after that. Seems obvious, but my pride up to that point kept me using the ferro rod.

EDC is much the same. Almost everyone has been in a situation where they have had to say, "I wish I had_____." For many of us, it was an item that we added to our EDC as soon as we had a chance. Yeah, we can't carry everything, but there are some items that are definitely nice to have when the situation arrises.

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2020, 06:48:59 PM »
So where am I? 

I've put together a few kits that all make sense by themselves, they are good to go if I only take them alone.  I can grab either Skinth and feel more than comfortable.  I can grab my Salesman and AA light and be happy.  If I only take my PTC, Fenix E05, and pen I'd be fine. 

Now the tool minded voice in me says I need a small plier with the Salesman and PTC kit.  Here's a little wrinkle.  I got a wonderful traditional from spudsly sale.  I made a complimentary "kit" because I really wanted a traditional that I would carry till I'm in the dirt.  This may be it but...........  More on that another time. 

The Schatt and Morgan traditional is nice so I made a little sheath to carry a Squirt and mini bic.  I was going to add a AAA light but this kit was to compliment any of the other kits I have.  When I carry my Skinths and my S&M I take out the Squirt from the leather sheath since both Skinth kits have a small plier.  Its simple and easy to do.  I may add my Manager but its something I decide at that moment. 

When I carry my Salesman kit or my PTC kit then the S&M kits is really good combined with either.

I reserve my S&M kit for off days when I am going to leave the house.  It has no other role for me.  When home I'll choose to carry either the Buck Creek or Camillus trads.  This makes those trad days in their sheaths less. 

I will supplement all carries with a folder if the mood strikes.  The Dragonfly or BM Mini Griptillian are go tos.  More often that not its the Dragonfly. 

I also supplement my lights with either ZL SC52 or Olight S1R Turbo.  These are two very good light that have me me not search out others  My beater light is the Lumentop Tool 2.0. 

I find myself carrying the Skinth kits more than anything.  The Green one for out and back errands, while the black is more for fleamarket or longer errand runs.

If I am feeling minimal then the PTC kit goes.  The Salesman kit is carried least but I enjoy it so I do make time for it.

I have other tools that I do like but I didn't include them in this conversation.  It gets messy when I want to carry others.   

Esse Quam Videri
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 31,881 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »
Very nice little set-ups mate and we're still very much of a mind. 

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,515 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2020, 10:56:46 PM »
So.... paraphrasing....

The two skinths work! Done, sorted, finito! (leave them alone  :twak:)
Both of those are primarily for use away from the house by the sounds of it.

The Schatt and Morgan is also for away from the house... but clashes with the skinths due to having it's own pliers. So ditching those, and just having a knife and lighter makes that pairable with either skinth.

Then you have...

1) Salesman kit, or PTC kit, as a foundation, and pairable with

2) Buck Creek or Camillus trads if stopping home, or Schatt and Morgan if going out somewhere, and/or one of the modern folders if you want a bit more blade, plus

3) Charge TTi or Squirt PS4 for the pliers, depending on the needs/mood for the day, and

4) one on the primary lights, leaving each of those in their respective kits as back up.

Does that sound like a fair reflection? Or have I misunderstood your intentions somewhere?

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2020, 11:41:29 PM »
Yes, perfectly summarized  :salute:.  I have enjoyed the simplicity of what to carry an on any given day I just add a fun item or larger light. 

Its made a world of difference for me especially since I do have "collection" items.  Those items are stored away out of sight and truthfully out of mind.  They dont burden me because every time I go thru them I swear its the first time seeing them :climber:   

So todays carry was simple, Green Skinth, BuckCreek Trad.  No need for a larger light since I am home.  No need for a fixed, even tho I like to carry my Esee Izula at home.  I try to balance my, "desire to carry", and "want to carry".  I enjoy what I have so I like to carry them.  When I am home like today, I do have a little more fun.  Seems when I head out I tend to be more pragmatic.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2020, 12:01:05 AM »
No need for a fixed, even tho I like to carry my Esee Izula at home.  I try to balance my, "desire to carry", and "want to carry".  I enjoy what I have so I like to carry them.  When I am home like today, I do have a little more fun.  Seems when I head out I tend to be more pragmatic.   

At home is the only place my fixed blades tend to get used now. That's probably my next area for streamlining.  :whistle:

It is easy to faff around more at home, as you're only a minute away from getting something different to use  :D Out and about, you have to be sure you got it right before you leave. Then again, even if we didn't take the ideal kit, we'd still be better equipped for surprises than most of the population  ;)

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2020, 12:08:07 AM »
 :tu:.  I always carry a fixed for work and more times than not its my Jumpmaster.  I do love to carry a fixed because I can do so much with one and am very comfortable with one.

With fixed blades I also tend to "assign" roles for them.  It seems once I've made the decision on where and when to carry an item the process of carrying is much easier.  I leave the thinking and evaluating for the fun stuff.  I like to believe I am simple when it comes right down to it.  I may have myself wrong.  Fun for me doesn't have harsh rules so I like to play a little fast and loose with fun items. 

Once I have my go to items then the fun begins with rules.  Carry what I like, when I like, because I can.   :woohoo:     

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2020, 05:27:21 PM »
Time for an update.  Few changes to the kits, tweaks if you will.  Lemme snap some pics and I'll be back to discuss. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2020, 05:50:57 PM »
All I did was add the slip sheath for the Camillus to another I made so I now include a complete kit of Trad, SAK, Light.  I also did the same for the Buck Creek.  The sheath is some random one I found.  These two kits are what I carry around the house.  I'm set as far as home carry.  I'm not reaching for the Salesman/light duo as much since. 

I'm really liking being able to pair the PTC with the Camillus plus a light.  Perfect complete set up for whatever.  The same goes for the Buck Creek set up. 

Skinths are the same as they have been for a while now. 

Esse Quam Videri
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 31,881 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
Very, very nice mate.  I'm liking those slip sheaths you've got there.  Are you carrying them in your back pocket? 

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2020, 02:19:07 PM »
Thank you.  It all started a couple years ago.  I bought an old thick leather purse for the leather.  I made a simple sheath to carry a SAK and light.  I tried a few ways to carry, front pocket, back pocket, and shirt pocket but I found front best for me.  They are about the size of a wallet and I carry my wallet in my front pocket so it kinda balance me carrying one in the other pocket. 

The Camillus sheath I made worked so good but I found myself carrying my PTC in my coin pocket and light elsewhere. Figured why not combine them.  So far so good.  I guess its hard to not have a SAK on me regardless of what other knife may be carrying.

Once the fleamarket is open I'll look for more leather and really refine the sheath.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $60.00
PayPal Fees: $3.14
Net Balance: $56.86
Below Goal: $243.14
Site Currency: USD