Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 18045

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #180 on: October 18, 2019, 04:11:48 PM
The ZL may have  :rofl:.  My partner always goes into strobe and then tosses it to me to say, "this stupid light".  :facepalm:

I do hope there's relief more days than not my friend soon.   :salute:

Its just so darn crazy how this come on.  My daughter friends mom,   :D.   Ok so she come down with some disease, some strange rare condition that nearly left her paralyzed.  She's been battling it now a year.  She's just now got up with the help of a walker tho she needs to be in a wheelchair or scooter.  She's a fighter like you so she decided to walk on her own and sadly broke her ankle. 

She is getting better but its gonna take time.  I do hope in your case you too.  Sooner actually. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #181 on: October 18, 2019, 11:42:19 PM
Cheers mate  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #182 on: October 19, 2019, 12:39:03 AM
I just added 3 aaa flashlights to my carry options (Olight i3t, Maratac copper and Olight i3e). In addition, I also bought a i1r (very nice keychain light) and I have a Rovyvon a2 (650 lumens) keychain light on the way. I have a Nitecore TUP and ordered a Thrunite t1.

In knives, I always carry my Vic Huntsman, but have a Vic Vagabond on the keychain for my car and a MiniChamp on the Harley keychain. I often rotate my second pocketknife.

I was inspired by this post to shake up my options a bit to be more task specific.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #183 on: October 19, 2019, 10:33:18 PM
 :salute:

Sounds like you've got some great options.  The Vagabond and Minichamp are powerful SAKs.  I can see why you chose them. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

Reply #184 on: October 19, 2019, 10:51:19 PM
:salute:

Sounds like you've got some great options.  The Vagabond and Minichamp are powerful SAKs.  I can see why you chose them.

Definitely. With my Maratac Copper aaa flashlight and Vic Huntsman in my pocket, feel ready for almost anything.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #185 on: October 20, 2019, 01:48:50 AM
I used to throw together different survival kits as a way to refine practicality. I had different sized packs, bags, boxes etc that I would use to set up these survival kits. I have to admit, it was kind of fun to sit with like-minded friends and think of scenarios we might face, and how size efficient we could make the kits. I had my Maxpedition bag set up with most of the items I thought I might need, but had a small Otter Box kit and even a couple of Altoid tin kits I made. To and outside observer, these activities may make us look like fringe survivalists, but the reality was that it made us more efficient outdoorsmen because we had to look at actual situations we might face. A lot of talk went into real world situations that people had faced in the past.

I was darn good at lighting a fire without matches or a lighter. I had a ferro rod that I had grown quite proficient with. Then, during a hunt a couple of years ago, when the temperature was extremely frigid, I decided I would build a fire for me and a buddy to warm up with. When my fingers were numb from the cold of sitting on a deer stand all morning, I found the ferro rod a little harder to work with. The longer I went without fire...and without my thick gloves on...the harder it was to throw sparks. I added a small cigarette lighter to my carry items after that. Seems obvious, but my pride up to that point kept me using the ferro rod.

EDC is much the same. Almost everyone has been in a situation where they have had to say, "I wish I had_____." For many of us, it was an item that we added to our EDC as soon as we had a chance. Yeah, we can't carry everything, but there are some items that are definitely nice to have when the situation arrises.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #186 on: March 02, 2020, 06:48:59 PM
So where am I? 

I've put together a few kits that all make sense by themselves, they are good to go if I only take them alone.  I can grab either Skinth and feel more than comfortable.  I can grab my Salesman and AA light and be happy.  If I only take my PTC, Fenix E05, and pen I'd be fine. 

Now the tool minded voice in me says I need a small plier with the Salesman and PTC kit.  Here's a little wrinkle.  I got a wonderful traditional from spudsly sale.  I made a complimentary "kit" because I really wanted a traditional that I would carry till I'm in the dirt.  This may be it but...........  More on that another time. 

The Schatt and Morgan traditional is nice so I made a little sheath to carry a Squirt and mini bic.  I was going to add a AAA light but this kit was to compliment any of the other kits I have.  When I carry my Skinths and my S&M I take out the Squirt from the leather sheath since both Skinth kits have a small plier.  Its simple and easy to do.  I may add my Manager but its something I decide at that moment. 

When I carry my Salesman kit or my PTC kit then the S&M kits is really good combined with either.

I reserve my S&M kit for off days when I am going to leave the house.  It has no other role for me.  When home I'll choose to carry either the Buck Creek or Camillus trads.  This makes those trad days in their sheaths less. 

I will supplement all carries with a folder if the mood strikes.  The Dragonfly or BM Mini Griptillian are go tos.  More often that not its the Dragonfly. 

I also supplement my lights with either ZL SC52 or Olight S1R Turbo.  These are two very good light that have me me not search out others  My beater light is the Lumentop Tool 2.0. 

I find myself carrying the Skinth kits more than anything.  The Green one for out and back errands, while the black is more for fleamarket or longer errand runs.

If I am feeling minimal then the PTC kit goes.  The Salesman kit is carried least but I enjoy it so I do make time for it.

I have other tools that I do like but I didn't include them in this conversation.  It gets messy when I want to carry others.   

IMG_0357.jpg
* IMG_0357.jpg (Filesize: 311.57 KB)
IMG_0358.jpg
* IMG_0358.jpg (Filesize: 305.29 KB)
IMG_0359.jpg
* IMG_0359.jpg (Filesize: 309.99 KB)
IMG_0360.jpg
* IMG_0360.jpg (Filesize: 264.61 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #187 on: March 02, 2020, 10:33:16 PM
Very nice little set-ups mate and we're still very much of a mind. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #188 on: March 02, 2020, 10:56:46 PM
So.... paraphrasing....

The two skinths work! Done, sorted, finito! (leave them alone  :twak:)
Both of those are primarily for use away from the house by the sounds of it.

The Schatt and Morgan is also for away from the house... but clashes with the skinths due to having it's own pliers. So ditching those, and just having a knife and lighter makes that pairable with either skinth.

Then you have...

1) Salesman kit, or PTC kit, as a foundation, and pairable with

2) Buck Creek or Camillus trads if stopping home, or Schatt and Morgan if going out somewhere, and/or one of the modern folders if you want a bit more blade, plus

3) Charge TTi or Squirt PS4 for the pliers, depending on the needs/mood for the day, and

4) one on the primary lights, leaving each of those in their respective kits as back up.

Does that sound like a fair reflection? Or have I misunderstood your intentions somewhere?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #189 on: March 02, 2020, 11:41:29 PM
Yes, perfectly summarized  :salute:.  I have enjoyed the simplicity of what to carry an on any given day I just add a fun item or larger light. 

Its made a world of difference for me especially since I do have "collection" items.  Those items are stored away out of sight and truthfully out of mind.  They dont burden me because every time I go thru them I swear its the first time seeing them :climber:   

So todays carry was simple, Green Skinth, BuckCreek Trad.  No need for a larger light since I am home.  No need for a fixed, even tho I like to carry my Esee Izula at home.  I try to balance my, "desire to carry", and "want to carry".  I enjoy what I have so I like to carry them.  When I am home like today, I do have a little more fun.  Seems when I head out I tend to be more pragmatic.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #190 on: March 03, 2020, 12:01:05 AM
No need for a fixed, even tho I like to carry my Esee Izula at home.  I try to balance my, "desire to carry", and "want to carry".  I enjoy what I have so I like to carry them.  When I am home like today, I do have a little more fun.  Seems when I head out I tend to be more pragmatic.   

At home is the only place my fixed blades tend to get used now. That's probably my next area for streamlining.  :whistle:

It is easy to faff around more at home, as you're only a minute away from getting something different to use  :D Out and about, you have to be sure you got it right before you leave. Then again, even if we didn't take the ideal kit, we'd still be better equipped for surprises than most of the population  ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #191 on: March 03, 2020, 12:08:07 AM
 :tu:.  I always carry a fixed for work and more times than not its my Jumpmaster.  I do love to carry a fixed because I can do so much with one and am very comfortable with one.

With fixed blades I also tend to "assign" roles for them.  It seems once I've made the decision on where and when to carry an item the process of carrying is much easier.  I leave the thinking and evaluating for the fun stuff.  I like to believe I am simple when it comes right down to it.  I may have myself wrong.  Fun for me doesn't have harsh rules so I like to play a little fast and loose with fun items. 

Once I have my go to items then the fun begins with rules.  Carry what I like, when I like, because I can.   :woohoo:     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #192 on: April 23, 2020, 05:27:21 PM
Time for an update.  Few changes to the kits, tweaks if you will.  Lemme snap some pics and I'll be back to discuss. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #193 on: April 23, 2020, 05:50:57 PM
All I did was add the slip sheath for the Camillus to another I made so I now include a complete kit of Trad, SAK, Light.  I also did the same for the Buck Creek.  The sheath is some random one I found.  These two kits are what I carry around the house.  I'm set as far as home carry.  I'm not reaching for the Salesman/light duo as much since. 

I'm really liking being able to pair the PTC with the Camillus plus a light.  Perfect complete set up for whatever.  The same goes for the Buck Creek set up. 

Skinths are the same as they have been for a while now. 
IMG_0617.jpg
* IMG_0617.jpg (Filesize: 291.59 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #194 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:27 AM
Very, very nice mate.  I'm liking those slip sheaths you've got there.  Are you carrying them in your back pocket? 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #195 on: April 24, 2020, 02:19:07 PM
Thank you.  It all started a couple years ago.  I bought an old thick leather purse for the leather.  I made a simple sheath to carry a SAK and light.  I tried a few ways to carry, front pocket, back pocket, and shirt pocket but I found front best for me.  They are about the size of a wallet and I carry my wallet in my front pocket so it kinda balance me carrying one in the other pocket. 

The Camillus sheath I made worked so good but I found myself carrying my PTC in my coin pocket and light elsewhere. Figured why not combine them.  So far so good.  I guess its hard to not have a SAK on me regardless of what other knife may be carrying.

Once the fleamarket is open I'll look for more leather and really refine the sheath.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #196 on: August 10, 2020, 04:03:44 PM
Its been a while.  I finished my first 30 day challenge and it was fun.  It was a 30 day memorial for Dean51 hosted by Steve.   I had been fooling around with Trads as my last entry noted.  I received a wonderful S&M from spuds so I was carrying it a lot.  I assembled a few slip sheath for my Trads and complimentary items.  Thats worked out great and I've really enjoyed carrying them. 

Because of COVID I wasn't able to go to the flea market to get leather so I opted for an inexpensive option.  I bought a couple of slip sheath of the big river site.  I wasn't expecting much other than a trial run and/or template for when I do make one.  What I bought were Diodrio sheaths.  I bought a compact and EDC.  They were priced fair IMO, the smaller one was $14 and the larger $13.  My partner surprised me with an additional compact.  I told her how I was pleasantly surprised at the FnF and quality.   

I suspect the stitching as with anything will be the failure point.  Thankfully the stitching is not just thread.  It seems to be fairly well done and if there is a failure something I could remedy.  The leather is sufficient for a pocket sheath.  Its thin enough to conform to the items within without being too stiff.  I liked the pen elastic addition as well as the grommet.  Over all its a decently executed piece of gear that should wear well and last fairly well.

When I received the second compact sheath the color was notably different.  Their was also a notable size difference.  The lighter one is the one I purchased.  Its a little bigger in width and length as well as thicker leather.  The individual compartments are also different in width.  I am happy with both however the differences make a difference in what will fit.  It worked out great for me as the smaller one fits my Schatt and Morgan while the "larger" one fits my Case Mini Trapper. 

Ok this is not a review I just wanted to let y'all know how I was carrying what I was carrying so onto that. 

IMG_1147.jpg
* IMG_1147.jpg (Filesize: 133.05 KB)
IMG_1148.jpg
* IMG_1148.jpg (Filesize: 125.87 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #197 on: August 10, 2020, 04:15:39 PM
I tell ya, it's spooky.  I was honestly looking at a slip sheath just like that last night. :ahhh  Does it still fit in your front pocket OK?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #198 on: August 10, 2020, 04:26:23 PM
Ok now that you know how I carry here's what I've been carrying and why. 

I have been really enjoying traditional folders more and more.  Maybe its a phase but who cares.  Its been nice to delve into this area of the hobby.  The history of these knives is wonderful and theres really quite a lot of variety to them.  Will I give up my SAK Explorer?  Not a chance.  Will I give up my Squirts?  Not a chance tho the Style has made a debut. 

I've really enjoyed carrying the Schatt and Morgan knife.  I am liking keeping it in a sheath to preserve it to some degree.  Its nice to also have a pen and scissors ( Squirt ) which also has pliers.  That kit is a stand alone grab and go kit.  I now have a second stand alone kit thanks to my partner.  It houses my Case Mini Trapper, Squirt, and pen.  I'm pretty stoked with these two set ups which I've now carried for about a month.  They are being shaped nicely within my pocket and to the tools within. 

The EDC sheath houses my sentimental Case Psalms 23 Trapper.  Its the first knife I've bought in a while.  I wanted to carry it "safely" which prompted me to buy the sheaths.  While larger than the compact sheath it fits/fills my Levi front pocket comfortably.  I added my Style PS so that I could have scissors and pliers.  I have a Squirt P4 but that lack scissors.

Side note.  I may get 2 more Style PS tools and remove the Squirts from the smaller sheaths.  My aim is to have scissors and pliers which is why I don't have 58mm SAKs or 74mm SAKs within any of these sheaths. 

IMG_1149.jpg
* IMG_1149.jpg (Filesize: 138.89 KB)
IMG_1150.jpg
* IMG_1150.jpg (Filesize: 125.55 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #199 on: August 10, 2020, 04:28:14 PM
Very, very nice mate.  I'm liking those slip sheaths you've got there.  Are you carrying them in your back pocket?

I am carrying both sizes in my front pocket.  The smaller one is a great fit in Levi pockets and the larger one fills the pocket yet still for me comfortable.  At the price point I am happy and should any stich failure occur I believe I can remedy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #200 on: August 10, 2020, 04:37:30 PM
I have decided that I will carry the larger sheath with my Psalm 23 Trapper on my off days primarily.  This is gonna be my primary setup. 

I do miss a light and SAK and lighter which seems to have been needed more than I realized it would be.  Thats all covered in my green Skinth. 

I've been pretty happy with this setup.  I can add my PW2 to the Skinth if I really feel I want some extra oomph. 

IMG_1151.jpg
* IMG_1151.jpg (Filesize: 139.57 KB)
IMG_1152.jpg
* IMG_1152.jpg (Filesize: 62.12 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #201 on: August 10, 2020, 05:12:47 PM
When I am leaving the house be it errands or just a day of fun I put my Psalm 23 kit in my pocket.         

I now have a few options for everyday  :whistle:.   I have leaned more to my Case Mini Trapper set up that anything.  Its been a great compliment at work and around the house.  That little Trapper is near perfect size for me.  The choice in blades is also a terrific. 

I think my next favorite is my Camillus set up.  Its complimented by a Wenger PTC and 2 mode SS Lumintop Worm.  My sheath I made is doing well and I like that I can carry 3 tools.  At home I don't "need" a pen.

I'm still very much enamored with my Schatt and Morgan.  Its a knife pattern I like a lot.  I wouldn't mind getting a larger version of this exact configuration. 

I enjoy my Queen Barlow in its belt sheath quite a lot so honestly sometimes I carry that in addition to any of the small sheath set ups  ;).

My BuckCreek is a nice knife and the Micra was a good compliment so those are paired.  I carry that mostly at home.  Not quite that often but enough to enjoy it.  I'm surprised by my Micra more and more.  I am more of a Squirt aficionado. 

The large knife at the bottom is new to me.  Its a Queen #29.  I picked it up not long ago and have not really carried it much.  The single sheath is one I use for my Opinel and Rough Rider 1139 as well. 

Lastly is my CRKT Texas Toothpick, MiniChamp, and Fenix E05 SS.  That light was giving me a headache till I finally screwed the LED from the inside down firmer.  Not sure what the whole led assembly is called.  The light now works as it should and is a nice light tho heavy little fella.  I don't carry this set up that much since the Case Mini Trapper hogs a lot of pocket time.  I also now have a few more options so 1st world problems  :whistle:     
IMG_1153.jpg
* IMG_1153.jpg (Filesize: 132.52 KB)
IMG_1154.jpg
* IMG_1154.jpg (Filesize: 139.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #202 on: August 10, 2020, 06:40:43 PM
Some nice options !    :like: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #203 on: August 10, 2020, 07:03:10 PM
Off day today so Case Mini Trapper set in pocket.  I've added a Skeletool CX also. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #204 on: August 10, 2020, 07:03:26 PM
Some nice options !    :like: :tu:

Thank you. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #205 on: August 10, 2020, 08:31:43 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #206 on: October 13, 2020, 06:57:39 PM
Well well here I am again mostly just to ramble on like always. 

As I sit and look at what I have on deck ( night stand ) and think about what I like to carry vs what to carry because I know I'll need a tool or tools vs what I want to carry because its new to me or cool I'm left scratching my head  :think:

I've set up some go to items in Skinths and Sheaths so I wouldn't have to think and just grab and go but  :dunno:

What I can tell y'all is my go to has been my Case set up.  Missing is a light and larger SAK.  Not to worry as I have that covered in a Skinth and now another leather sheath  :facepalm:.  I was never trying to be minimalist or trying to test my ability to get by with less.  I was and am wanting a set up that I can carry without thinking about what to carry.  Thats at least how this thread is evolving. 

I have worn the same belt now for decades.  I have worn the same work watch for a long time.  Same MT on my work belt.  Heck I am using the same dang cell phone ( well same model ) for years.  I wore the same work hat for decade or more.  I'm a creature of habit when something works. 

I am not one who craves change for change sake.  I do however like to try things for no other reason that why the heck not.  What that means is additional carry items.

Whats worked has been a AAA light and my Squirt.  Those are staples for sure.  I'm not terribly picky with the light but unlike most I do like a strobe feature.  I do have without a strobe feature so its not a deal breaker to carry a simple AAA. 

Because I don't have a Squirt for each leather kit I used a Style PS in my Pslam 23 Trapper kit which works too.

I still want to carry a SAK 84 or 91mm.  I'm wanting one with scissors and a Cadet X would be perfect.  The SAK I reach for most times is my Explorer.  I'm still wanting to try a Compact and will in time.  I like opening layers so the combo tool is what makes me hesitant as I've already tried one and didn't bond. 

I have a 84mm Golfer that would be perfect it I liked the combo tool.  I am also liking carrying a mini Bic lighter as well.  Its simple and easy to carry so I have a few.   

The journey continues for me. 

Here is a pic of my trad set ups.  My Case Trapper ( top row 1st kit ) is my go to.  My Psalm 23 Trapper ( top row 2nd kit ) is my off day carry.  I'll carry the S&M kit ( top row 3rd kit ) from time to time.  The Camillus 64 with Cadet 2 kit is a new sheath and kit ( bottom row 1st kit ).  I am liking this setup a lot.  The Imperial ( bottom row 2nd kit ) is newish and a favorite for harder work.  The last two have not been carried a lot.  The Kutmaster is a great little knife but its still new to me.  The CRKT Toothpick is a great single blade SS knife.  I just have a few too many options now  :D not humble bragging at all.  I didn't even show my Queen Barlow or Buck Creek as those are ones I am not carrying a lot. 

I can see why fellas in the Trad thread carry two.  It makes sense to me now as I have some fun trads and want to carry them all. 

Add in my fixed blade of the day and I'm not a minimalist at all.  I'm having such a renewed sense of fun with trads added in to my daily carry that this thread has taken a neat turn. 

Thats all for now.   
IMG_1500.jpg
* IMG_1500.jpg (Filesize: 288.14 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #207 on: October 13, 2020, 08:30:09 PM
Love that ribbed Alox mate.  :drool:

I think the last few months has seen me carrying even less than before!  Mostly because I've spent a lot more time indoors for some reason and have anything I want close to hand.  :D

So mostly I've had a 58mm SAK or Micra on my keys along with the excellent Nitecore Tiki.  In my other pocket I've had either a light trad or slim SAK of some kind.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #208 on: October 13, 2020, 10:27:48 PM
Thank you. 

:like:  Makes complete sense.  Our carry will and often times reflects our daily activity or lack thereof.  I'm still working outside the home and while not as much I've been tinkering around the home.  My partner is having a bit of a redecorating spree  :o.  I've been putting together and taking apart furniture and closet shelving.  I've done a bit of work in the yard and other random things. 

The Cadet 2 is nice thin carry.  I am so jealous of those who have added scissors to their Cadets.  I would love to remove the main blade for a new one as well as the can opener.  They were a bit mistreated so I had to make some adjustments.  The blade was baldly sharpened and recurved as a result. The can opener tip was mangled so I made a bit of a judgement call in the fixing.
IMG_1502.jpg
* IMG_1502.jpg (Filesize: 77.58 KB)
IMG_1503.jpg
* IMG_1503.jpg (Filesize: 94.19 KB)
IMG_1504.jpg
* IMG_1504.jpg (Filesize: 86.76 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Offline dmattaponi

Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #209 on: October 15, 2020, 04:24:17 AM
My out of the house combo is a Vic Explorer Plus and a Leatherman Squirt PS4.  The Leatherman provided the pliers, wire cutter, and file.  Around the house the Xplorer gets traded out for a Classic or a Rambler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD