Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reevaluating my off day carry

Aloha · 301 · 17899

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Reevaluating my off day carry
Reply #240 on: December 10, 2021, 12:26:53 AM
Using the tether I am confident of not leaving my wallet behind plus I have some where to hang my Midnight Manager and a few other things from.  Its worked out great. 

As for the amount of light on the Manager, it is pretty decent.  Its why its kicked my regular Manager off the hanger.  Quite a lot of utility on a wonderfully small package.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #241 on: December 10, 2021, 01:35:40 PM
You do you, but that's too much redundancy for me.

SAK+Light and I call it done.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #242 on: December 13, 2021, 03:49:25 PM
 :salute:  I cannot leave well enough alone  :whistle:.  I don't mind having a few lights with me.  The Rovyvon light and SAK with my wallet means I'll never be without a SAK + Light.  The SAK alone wont cut it as a stand alone light but its such usable light and adds a fraction of thickness to my Manager scale.  I was already carrying a Manager as it were. 

Adding the Rvoyvon gives me a terrific light also with little weight/size penalty.  I love my trads.  I have become so enamored with them that I have to carry them.  Its the fun in this hobby/collecting that went missing for me.  I know many are very minimal and I enjoy seeing those carries.  Me, I'll carry whats fun plus functional.  Its got to be fun.   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:58:25 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #243 on: December 18, 2021, 12:19:35 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #244 on: December 18, 2021, 04:37:04 PM
Leaving the house yesterday I attached my wallet lanyard with Midnite Manager/Aurora.  I paused for a moment and thought could I leave with nothing else and be good to go? 

Yes.

Its getting dark earlier so a light is something I like to carry and has proven useful and in some situations necessary.  The Managers light is decent and while its better than nothing it remains only decent.  The tool set however is fantastic and as we tend to say, it punched above it class. 

So, as I pondered what else I'd carry, which tends to be my Pemberton "kit"  the Pemberton doesn't give me much more blade length but does add the little plier of my Style.  The style has scissors and sure its redundant but I chose this tool over my Squirt P4 for this kit simply due to size/weight.  I really like having a small plier on board. 

Ok enough blabber, I decided to leave without the Pemberton kit and only go with what is attached to my wallet lanyard.  Midnight Manager and Aurora would be my companions. 

My partners mom asked if I could stop by to help with a few things.  I deployed my Manger several times to snip this and that.  I also needed the light but as I had already figured my Managers light would be limited.  Indoors its decent but outdoors not so great.  My Aurora was more than enough and with variable settings I could select the right amount for each task. 

The phillips is so great and handles those tiny screws wonderfully.  Being magnetic makes a big difference too.  I used the pen as well.  I can't say I've pushed the blade on this tool before so there was a couple of tasks that had me ask her for a blade.  Not saying my Pemberton small blade would have been enough but I would have not hesitated since its a lot more robust. 

I tend to carry my Large Trapper mostly but my Tribal lock also gets carried a fair bit.  The longer blades offer me quite a bit more utility over the little blade I like so much. 

Any lessons learned?  No.  I knew I'd be short on blade length but it was nothing serious.  Early on in this thread I mentioned I am not trying to solve everything I encounter.  I don't have to be able to take care of every situation that comes up.  Heck I'd carry my Surge if I was wanting to be to go to for most things. 

I carry what I like and whats fun to me.  Yes my tools offer solutions but in no way solve everything and they are not meant to.  I've long since stepped away from that feeling or desire or need.  I love my Pemberton simply because it wonderful in hand and to my eye.  Its short blades would not have helped with yesterdays tasks but its nice to have with me. 

Today I'm headed to work so I'll be tool heavy, Surge with extender and bit kit.  I'll also have a fixed blade with me.  I have more dedicated tool onboard my truck but this tread is about off days so......

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #245 on: April 20, 2022, 05:49:58 PM
Anything change?  Yes and no as always.  I don't think this thread went were I thought it would.  I really thought I was trying to find a great tool set to carry by trial and examination.  What I am discovering is I like stuff.  Can I be a minimalist in the very truest meaning?  No.  I carried a very minimal tool set last time I posted and was fine.  No calamities reported. 

Where am I now you may or may not be wondering.  Well, lets start with what I always carry. 

Case Large Trapper Psalm 23 and a ATOM A0 titanium Red led light. 

Pemberton kit.  Pemberton,  Thrunite Ti, mini Bic lighter, Squirt Ps4 ( will be going back to my P4 ). 

Lip balm, POM pepper spray, Mmidnight manager that lives on my keychain. 

These things I truly enjoy and they are more than I'll want. 

* IMG_4851.jpg (Filesize: 234.93 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #246 on: April 20, 2022, 06:12:23 PM
Thats the easy part.  I have picked up som really nice things that I also very much enjoy.  So before I get into that let me ask a question/s. 

What do you do when you have gear that you just love?  What do you do when you have really good gear that you want to carry even tho you have your EDC all set? 

There are more questions I could ask but suffice to say this is where I am these days.  I have picked up some gear that I enjoy too much to leave at home and my Pemberton kit is my EDC when off.  The Psalm Trapper is a memento for my sons passing so that will be carried.  I have given up caring a larger SAK for the most part.  I do not carry a full size MT and wont add one any time soon either. 

There are a few items I carry in addition to what you saw above.  Not all mind you but I have been known to carry 2 sets from this next picture. 

The Blue Case mini copperhead is a new favorite.  I carry that along with my wallet.  If not that one then the Natural bone Case or the Tony Bose Case.  One of these three little Case knives is carried very very often.  They are much to awesome not to.

The Pocket Wrench and Case gorgeous blue Copperhead is another thats hard to leave at home. 

The Tribal lock and black Copperlock are two that I enjoy tremendously.  Its a had choice when it comes to those. 

The Case coke bottle and blue light is a fun duo.  That Case is from the 70s and is a new one for me.  Its hard to put it into the drawer and only pick up every once in a while.  That kit get put into my pocket every whim I get. 

The SAK you see is the only SAK I put into my pocket IF I feel the need.  Its a Wenger Security 14. 

The knifes are the two I gravitate to most.  Benchmade with 154cm blade and Spyderco with ZDP.  Both are terrific and either will accomplish what I need.  I bring one when I plan or think I'll have some dirty hard work.   

* IMG_4852.jpg (Filesize: 225.59 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #247 on: April 20, 2022, 06:15:05 PM
Wallet is the same with nothing new to report. I did get a new phone, well my daughters iPhone 11. 

These trads have taken over.  I cannot get enough of them.  They are more addicting than the MTs ever were.  Having to many awesome trads made my carry so scrambled.  I want to carry them all. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #248 on: April 20, 2022, 06:31:57 PM
What do you do when you have gear that you just love?  What do you do when you have really good gear that you want to carry even tho you have your EDC all set?
The second question is easier to answer: my EDC is never all set. If I want to carry something, sooner or later, I'll carry it.

The first question is a little more complicated. It largely depends on the what part of my collection a piece of gear is placed in. For example, I have a Schrade 833UH that I love. However, as it has never been carried, I will keep it that way. I can't just order a direct replacement from Knife Center or SMKW. Sooner or later I'll find an American-made 833UH that was previously carried and put it in the rotation. My 33OT is occasionally carried.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: most of my carriers are standard models in current production. SAKs with logos are almost without exception safe queens. Discontinued tools will get carried on occasion if someone carried them before I got them. If I buy a brand-new knife or tool with the intention of carrying it, I'll often purchase a second one to keep as a safe queen.

Sometimes I get lucky and wind up with both a nice and unused discontinued tool and a previously carried counterpart. In that case, the latter will get carry time. I'd love to carry my Schrade 61OT, but it's probably outside of the stoopid blade length limit imposed upon me.

Okay, enough rambling for now.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #249 on: April 20, 2022, 07:14:33 PM
I appreciate your thoughts.  I want to carry them all.  Why should any sit home?  I have many that I dont carry but im not sure if its more cause I like what I like or replacement would be hard?  That said I couldn't buy a few I do carry easily.   

The ones I got from you all need to be carried.  The Pemberton kit did change and I changed it again one last time.  I had a Style PS then changed it for the Squirt PS4 now will get the Squirt P4 which happened already.  This kit really should be complete.  I enjoy carrying is so much that its not a question of do I put it into my pocket anymore. 

I carry the Psalm 23 trapper but its not one I use a whole lot.  I just never want to be without it.  I do use the red led light I carry with it more than you'd think.  The trapper I made sentimental.  Its one of very few things I hold sentimental "value' with.   

The Copperlock wharncliff I got from you competes with my Tribal lock.  I got the Tribal lock to be my "clean" knife.  I use it for food.  Now I have the Copperlock and they share pocket time.  I love having a knife to use for food and even food prep.  The Tribal lock filled that very well till I got the Copper lock from you.  While I lean more towards the Tribal lock I do really enjoy the Copper lock.   

Its those darn little ones I love so much.  These cause me more deliberation that anything else. 

The mini copper head 62109 ( second knife pic ) and 102109W mini copper head ( first knife pic ) added to my choices/dilemma.  I was going with the Tony Bose 61117 Sway back ( third knife pic ) with out hesitation.  Its really a gorgeous knife. 

The other little ones I have that I don't fret over as much anymore are Old Timer Dog leg 72OT, REX ( this is a big favorite of mine and I dont know why) , Boker USA 99/08 ( not sure what that means ), Kutmaster Utica NY ( this is another that is a huge favorite of mine ), and last but not least Hammer Brand that I covered with leather just for fun.  I'll redo it later with bone or wood.

How do I leave any one of those great knives at home?  Those little knives are my favorites.  I wouldn't have guessed they would be. 

Oh and lets not forget the Case 25 1/2.  This little one is so wonderful.   :facepalm:.  Yes I love them all. 

Rotate some say, carry one a day they say.  I don't know if I'll make it home each day so I want the things I enjoy with me.  Ok thats a bit dramatic. 

Truth is, When I'm off I don't always leave the house.  This makes things pretty easy to decide what I'll carry or more complicated  :oops:   

* IMG_4855.jpg (Filesize: 108.5 KB)

* IMG_4856.jpg (Filesize: 69.74 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #250 on: June 13, 2022, 03:07:00 PM
That's not bad for the size, I do think Vic are overdue a revision with more modern LEDs and rechargeable cells like in the Keysmart Pro smart side. My Rovy is the one with UV instead of red light, I like it for playing with GitD stuff, including self charging the body to act like a marker for my organiser.

A lovely set of trads you have to choose from! My trad game is pretty low but I'm building up to it.

This reminds me I should probably update my carry thread  :think:

This is such a terrific idea tho I highly doubt Vic is interested.  I got back to this thread and recalled what you mentioned.  Such a great idea.   :tu:   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #251 on: June 13, 2022, 05:10:24 PM
Feels like forever since I updated.

I made some changes then went right back to where I was.  Where is that you ask? 

First, I am still very much loving my traditional pocket knives.  I have not been this excited by gear in a long time.  Its also very hard for me to decide on what to carry.  Not much of a "problem" really.   

I always appreciated those who carry pretty much the same items day in and day out.  I'm just not that guy as much as I think I want to be.  Its too much fun to have a new item in pocket.  On that note I picked up a folding knife a little while back.  I've always maintained I'm not the dedicated folder type.  I've shown a few I like and while I like them and carried them I wasn't dedicated to them. 

My new to me knife is Bradley Alias 2.  It's a titanium frame lock with S30V blade.  Yup, that combo has been done to death.  Do we have some odd fascination with titanium?  Maybe its me?  I'm not sure what it is but that material for me evokes a special magnetism ( which is really funny ) to it.  The knife is a really good size which makes me want to carry it.  I like the blade shape.  I like the steel choice.  Even the pocket clip is good.  I've been carrying it for work AND on my off days since getting it.  I got it preloved but in overall nice condition.  The blade is marked 1st production run.  From my limited understanding Benchmade made these for Bradley.  It seemed to be received well but not a ton of info on it.   

I was blessed to get a new light from Sos.  I'll share more later as I am still getting to know it.  What I can say is if you like Anuril UI and customizing your experience then please go for a light with it and enjoy.  I'll follow up later once I spend a little more time with it. 

Sos is so wonderful for sending it my way.  I honestly cannot thank her enough.  Not only is she a terrific member of our MTO family with her insights and user experiences, she's enormously generous and thoughtful.  She had no idea it was recently my Bday so it was an extra special treat for me.  I'm not saying any of this cause she sent me a gift her contributions to our community are to all.  Forever grateful to her  :salute:

Thats it for now but I'll be back to discuss/ramble more.   

* IMG_5351.jpg (Filesize: 102.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #252 on: December 15, 2022, 06:40:55 PM
I guess an update before the years ends is in order. 

What a year it was.  Lots of fun stuff to shake up my off day carry.  I wont review everything as I cannot recall most  :facepalm:

I'm old and my propensity to forget is real.  I have adopted attaching things to me by leash. 

Lets begin with my wallet.  I tend to keep my wallets a very long time.  My last wallet served me for 20 years.  I then got a Wenger wallet which I carried for a while but then this Nixxon wallet was spotted at the flea market so I picked it up.  I immediately liked the money clip in the middle of the wallet so it replaced my Wenger. 

I'm sure I could go with a smaller wallet but I'm not sure which.  I do have a Trayvax element but I carry cash and its fumbly when it comes to getting at my cash.     

I keep my wallet attached to me using the Victornox belt hanger.  I've used front pocket carry since my teens, this wallet lives in my front left pocket. 

On that ring is my house key, pill bottle, and Rovyvon A5 which dangles into my pocket from a length of paracord.  I had them dangling from the keyring but I prefer them in my pocket so this is what I came up with.  Its working good so far but things evolve.

My Rovyvon has been great.  I mention in some thread that I was changing flat and used the blinking red LEDs on it as a added safety measure.   I was well away from traffic and had my emergency flashers on but it was nice to have this light.  I've also used it several times on my cap as a headlamp.  Great light so far. 

My Midnight Manger is the only thing that freely dangles.  Over the years I've become less dangling.  Keeping the Manager there also gives me access as needed.  Its a light, pen, scissor, and knife.  I reach for it quite often.  The quick release is great.  No fumbling to get to my tool.   

In my left back pocket is a bandana and my phone ( phone in pic is a prop ) I have the iPhone11 in a catalyst case with its own lanyard.  I'm telling you, I need things secure to me.   

My right rear pocket also had a bandana.  I was gifted quite a lot of bandanas so I carry a couple every day.   

My right front pocket is where I carry my Pemberton kit.  This is truly my EDC.  I rarely leave the house without it.  You can see by the polish on the leather its had a lot of pocket time.

In that kit is, 
GEC Pemberton, Micra, ThruniteTi, Mini Sharpie, Brass Pen ( Sos surprise box ), Mini Bic.
The leather case is Easyant, got it off the big river site.  Its been great and has held up wonderfully.   I keep that kit on a paracord leash as you can see.   Carrying it that way keeps pocket weight/sag down and the belt clip is a place to attach other items like car keys and my Maxpedition Micro kit. 

It would seem my belt is weighted down.  Its not actually.  I tried to carry a small bag and truthfully I am still looking.  I wanted to attach a strap to my Maxpedition EDC pouch but I'm not sure thats the option I want.  The Micro is pretty light and the contents have been selected from needs over time.  I did put together a bag but its a lot of stuff that I've never really "needed" on my off days around town.  It has been carried when I'd be away from my vehicle for a while.  I have charger and cords for my phone, little larger FAK, larger light, back up cells for light, etc. It really became a man purse.  Thats another story tho.   

My Maxpedition Micro kits contents,   

Left side.
face mask, eye glass repair kit.  Rolaids, Doctor picks tooth picks ( awesome ), another mini Bic, 2 safety pins, zip ties, uncle bills sliver gripper.
Right side.
cough drops with Vitamin C,  a simple boo boo kit containing a few bandaids, antibiotic cream, burn cream, moleskin, gauze.   The blue tipped thing is a stainless steel straw, 10ft paracord, alkaseltzer, tucked in the pocket not shown is 5 ft duct tape on a used gift card.
Front carries hand sanitizer.   

POM Pepper spray is carried in front right accessory pocket.  I like that this pepper spray doesn't look like the typical.   

This is my EDC-off days.  Whats shown is what I carry on my off days everyday.

I do add in stuff as y'all know.  Because its not the same each time I thought showing exactly what I carry every off day would be best. 

* IMG_7143.jpg (Filesize: 165.63 KB)

* IMG_7145.jpg (Filesize: 153.1 KB)

* IMG_7147.jpg (Filesize: 200.69 KB)

* IMG_7148.jpg (Filesize: 198.83 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #253 on: December 15, 2022, 06:42:51 PM
Pemberton kit and Maxpdition Micro kit. 

* IMG_7149.jpg (Filesize: 184.17 KB)

* IMG_7150.jpg (Filesize: 199.43 KB)

* IMG_7152.jpg (Filesize: 162.86 KB)

* IMG_7151.jpg (Filesize: 155.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #254 on: December 15, 2022, 06:44:12 PM
POM Pepper spray and how I carry it all. 

* IMG_7153.jpg (Filesize: 187.63 KB)

* IMG_7154.jpg (Filesize: 146.51 KB)

* IMG_7155.jpg (Filesize: 131.19 KB)

* IMG_7156.jpg (Filesize: 126.28 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #255 on: December 15, 2022, 07:23:17 PM
POM Pepper spray and how I carry it all.
I have two pair of those identical pants/shorts, same color and all! I saw a pair and was like OMG there so expensive, but there was a deal, if you bought 2 you got a % off, but then if you spent over so much you got the pads thrown in for free, so by the time I bought 2 pair the price got knocked down to the price of one plus the free pads and free shipping, like totally made out! But those freaking paints/shorts were the best freaking find I ever made!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #256 on: December 15, 2022, 07:42:03 PM
I am still evolving.  I'll likely always be which is the fun of it all.  That fun is whats most important to me.  If its not fun then why the heck bother?  There are many things I want to carry, mostly notably my Tony Bose Stockman.  It fits great in the front left accessory pocket.  I also like to carry my Tribal Lock which also fits great in that pocket.  Its hard to decide which to carry.  I'll say the TB Stockman generally wins.     

Next up are two Diodrio kits that have my beloved Leatherman Squirts in. 

Case Wharncliff Copperhead kit with Squirt P4 and lumen top worm AAA.

Case Sowbelly kit with Squirt PS4 and Fenix E05 AAA.

I will pop one of these into my back right pocket. I thought about putting the content of these kits into my Maxpedition Micro.  Maybe I will play around with that next year.  I do enjoy the leather slips which has kept me from doing that.

Its been fun.  It continues to be fun.  Leaving the house on my day off with some nice gear is fun.  Whether you carry a full on bag or just a Classic I hope you are also having fun.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #257 on: December 15, 2022, 07:45:43 PM
 :facepalm:  I'll have to try and post pics later.  Not sure why they wont post.
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #258 on: December 17, 2022, 04:02:09 PM
This is not me.  Not any more anyway.  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nZ5bH2-hw
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #259 on: December 17, 2022, 04:26:35 PM
 :rofl:  Thank you, that was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. 

Confession, when I was a younger man, I also carried a lanyard around my neck.  It began life as a whistle lanyard that morphed into carrying my car key and house key.  I then attached a safety pin.  This was late 80s and it seemed like a game changer  :whistle:.  I don't recall it lasting long. 

The books and other things in baggies  :rofl:.  Brilliant. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #260 on: December 17, 2022, 04:28:25 PM
 ;)

* IMG_7157.jpg (Filesize: 177.69 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #261 on: December 17, 2022, 11:12:54 PM
 :like:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #262 on: December 21, 2022, 07:54:09 PM
Always love Viva La Dirt League anything :rofl: :like: :like:

;)

Thos all look sweet :drool: :like:

us Offline Enginears

Reply #263 on: December 24, 2022, 08:07:08 PM
I just read through the evolution of this thread, very cool tools. Thank you for sharing. :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #264 on: December 24, 2022, 08:26:59 PM
Thank you.  :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #265 on: June 27, 2023, 04:30:51 PM
Not even sure what I am posting about anymore  :think:.  Mostly chatting I think these days. 

Pictures of some things to follow. 
Wallet set up is mostly same.  I use the Victorinox belt clip to secure my wallet, midnight manager, and Rovyvon light.  This works so its been mostly left as is.

I've just recently put this kit together and am liking it. 

* IMG_8768.jpg (Filesize: 132.7 KB)

* IMG_8769.jpg (Filesize: 126.25 KB)

* IMG_8770.jpg (Filesize: 123 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #266 on: June 27, 2023, 04:44:36 PM
That is what I'm carrying and its been great so far.  I shared that I used the PW2 on a portable carport I was assembling recently.  Worked like a charm. 

I enjoyed carrying my PW2 when I got it in 2013 or so but stopped at some point for reason/s I cannot recall.  As this thread has progressed I see I still have somewhat of a "core" set to which I add in when the mood strikes. 

Never setting out to become a minimalist nor solving all issues with my pocket kit I feel good about the journey I am on.  Its fun changing things up while still having things of convenience with me. 

I have really enjoyed the Gerber EAB.  It was a tool I bought and almost immediate put aside.  I had enough sharps so it sat.  I mentioned somewhere on the forum about sharpening the blade on it.  Its not about frugality more than I have the ability.  I've given the blade a few sessions on my Spyderco Sharpmaker.  I quite enjoy using the EAB for quite a few chores.  Most recently it was used on bags and bags of mulch.  I enjoy using it to break down boxes.  I use old t shirts for rags and its been a joy to use on them. 

Having paper and pen plus sharpie are great for my aging memory.  I can also diagram out things.  I'm currently doing a front walkway so putting ideas down is convenient.  I had flat pencil in there but I changed it out for the sharpie.  Not sure yet which is more useful. 

Thats it for now.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #267 on: June 28, 2023, 05:32:18 AM
Great little set-up! :tu: I'm thinking of buying or making a little double slip/wallet combo like that.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #268 on: June 28, 2023, 05:37:58 AM
They are fun to make.  I made one which has been decent.  This particular brand is fair priced and decently made.  I have been enjoying using them.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #269 on: January 23, 2024, 06:31:58 PM
This thread began because i really enjoy seeing what others carry.  Taking a look at what I carry and why I realized I just enjoy carrying "stuff". 

7 years later and I still enjoy carrying stuff  :D.  Its actually been longer than that but who's counting? 

Here is a sampling of categories I carry.  Over the many years I've determined these categories to be what makes sense to me.  I hesitate to call them anything specific.  I've read "core" or "base" but I'm not sure what sounds right to me  :dunno:.     

Cutting.  I find it interesting in my day to day how much stuff I cut.  Its not only amazn boxes or mail.  I do a lot of gardening and love to keep busy around my house so there are plenty of opportunities to need a knife.  It was literally pizza this past Friday. 

Light.  In my neck of the woods it will eventually get dark.  My back yard has motion lights but its nice to light areas that are not well lit.  My neighborhood is older and there are few street lights so when we take our evening walks a light is essential.  I have a truck with a Leer Contractor top and lighting is sparse.  I changed a tire fairly recent and my lights were wonderfully helpful. 

SAK.  Convenience.  That same Friday I mentioned I cut a pizza I also opened a bottle with the cap lighter.  The scissors are great for an impromptu trim of my beard or mustache.  I have cut my finger nail/s a few times.  While many cans these days have pull tops there are many that don't and I love using the can opener for those.  Ever needed to make a hole?  I've used my SAKs awl quite a bit.  My hanging plants appreciate drainage and some pots dont have holes. 

Cordage.  Pick your flavor.  Mine is 550 and its been more than handy.  That Friday I spoke of previously, I used 550 cord to tie up some bed slats to make them easier to carry.  Last night I used some to tie down a awning bungie cord that snapped do to winds.  I've used it more than I can count over the years actually.  I tend to carry a few hanks these days since its been very practical for me. 

Writing instrument.  Pick your favorite.  I like to have a mini sharpie and pen with me.  I will also add in a pencil simply because the occasions for one have come up more. 

Paper.  I have a small enough pad to make this very easy to do.  I don't do lists on my phone.  I like to write down things.  I should say I love to journal if that means anything to anyone?  Paper is essential for me. 

Booboo stuff.  Funny enough its rarely for me so I carry for my family.  Just a few things on hand that are easy to carry.

What might seem like a lot to some might very well be minimal to others.  This is where I'll openly say that I enjoy gear and stuff.  I would not have lasted as long on this forum if I didn't.  I most certainly will carry something just because I enjoy it.  Never the course of this thread I have reconciled with myself that I really enjoy my things and if I choose to carry several of each category then so be it. 

If I choose to carry additional items because it feel like it then so be it.  I am having a lot of fun with those extras items.  Heck I am having more fun these days with it all. 

Thank you if you've read this far.  I'll post up some pictures of the items in the categories I've listed.  I'll also post up additional items that are fun.   

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD