Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I messed up my Fieldmaster

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
I messed up my Fieldmaster
on: October 06, 2008, 03:37:14 PM
I tried cutting some real coarse sandpaper with the scissors and now the scissors stick real bad.  >:( >:( I should have known but I figured they could do it. Of course being an idiot I tried cutting the paper with the knife and screwed up the edge of that too but I fixed that but I can't fix the scissors. I've tried honing them figuring I have a nick on them but it didn't work. Oiling didn't work either.

Now I have to decide what to do with it. I guess I could send it to Victorinox but I have PLUS scales on it, would they put those back on or would I have to rebuy them? I'm thinkng about just using this as an opportunity to buy a new Fieldmaster.  :D In the meantime I'm carrying my custom Tinker with my Wenger PTC on my keyring.

So, a word of advice...Don't cut thick coarse sandpaper with SAK scissors.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I messed up my Fieldmaster
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:48:13 PM
It sounds like you may have a curl or some damage on the insides of the blades--the side of each the blades that contacts the other blade.  You should be able to use a fine stone or strop to straighten it out.  If you try it, be sure to run the entire side of each blade flat against, or parallel to, the stone--not at an angle.  It will scratch the side of the blades a bit, but it should fix the "stick".
- Terry

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 04:05:16 PM
I may try that, or I may just bug the wife to let me buy a new one.  ;)
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:07:39 PM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to send it off to Victorinox....
- Terry

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:17:08 PM
Might be a warranty job mate, I buggered up the scissors on my Sacrificial Huntsman by cutting a cable tie ::), and I've not managed to get them back to normal, no matter what I tried :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:43:06 PM
Might be a warranty job mate, I buggered up the scissors on my Sacrificial Huntsman by cutting a cable tie ::), and I've not managed to get them back to normal, no matter what I tried :(

I did the same to my Spirit.  They don't stick anymore and cut paper, but they don't work well enough to cut thread with any reliability.
- Terry

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:44:27 PM

I did the same to my Spirit.  They don't stick anymore and cut paper, but they don't work well enough to cut thread with any reliability.
You'd think we'd know better :D

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:32 PM
WoW good things to know/avoid! thx guys :cheers:

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 10:23:18 PM
I am no expert, but I would think there is a very good chance that Vic's repair dept. will replace the knife, rather than fix it.

You could try emailing them and explain the situation. They are pretty prompt with answers.

Or perhaps someone could send you some old scales to put on there while it is being repaired. Then you could send them a brand new pair when it is returned, and pop your old ones back one.  ;)
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:52:03 PM
If you don't want to send it to Vic then you could send it to me and I'll happily put a new pair of scissors on it for you free of charge.  I have a couple of pairs sitting around doing nothing.  It would invalidate your warranty but at least it would still be your knife.  I might even be able to beat their six week turn around.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 01:08:48 AM
Send it back to Vic! I have used their warranty a few times and I have gotten my items back within two weeks. They will also repair/replace it at their option.
B

us Offline Splat

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:42:00 AM
IIRC, Vic's warranty dept/work is up in New York state, USA, right? Geez, IIRC then I say, "What're you waiting for?!"  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:45:15 AM by Splat »
Splat

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 07:58:46 AM
If you don't want to send it to Vic then you could send it to me and I'll happily put a new pair of scissors on it for you free of charge.  I have a couple of pairs sitting around doing nothing.  It would invalidate your warranty but at least it would still be your knife.  I might even be able to beat their six week turn around.
Very generous of you mate :salute:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:20:04 PM

Your a gent Gareth :salute: but he's on the other side of the pond, so the postage there and back would probably be more expensive than a good used one from FelineVet  :-\

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 01:14:35 PM
LOL, that’s probably true.  The offer still stands but I agree, it might not be the easiest way of getting a working knife.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 06:07:06 PM
I think for right now I'm just gonna stick it in my knife drawer. I'm sure eventually I'll break another 2 or 3 SAK's at some time and I'll just send them all in at once to save money on postage.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%