Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which is your stock "Four Layer Favorite"

Smaug · 82 · 6621

Poll

Which of these stock Four Layer SAKs is your favorite?

Fieldmaster
8 (6.7%)
Huntsman
27 (22.5%)
Voyager Lite
3 (2.5%)
Explorer
47 (39.2%)
Deluxe Tinker
17 (14.2%)
Fireman
1 (0.8%)
Mountaineer
8 (6.7%)
Other
9 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 114

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Re: Which is your stock "Four Layer Favorite"
Reply #60 on: July 07, 2021, 12:18:30 PM
I like the Deluxe Tinker pliers, so it's my most carried 4 layer (followed by a Huntsman). 

The item I least want in a 4 layer, or really any knife, is the magnifying glass.  I already have magnifying lenses in metal frames in front of my eyes, so there's no need for one in a knife.  :rofl:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 07, 2021, 06:02:17 PM
The item I least want in a 4 layer, or really any knife, is the magnifying glass.  I already have magnifying lenses in metal frames in front of my eyes, so there's no need for one in a knife.  :rofl:

I think you'll find that many folks such as myself enjoy that layer for the in-line phillips, which I find is much more useful than the back-spring phillips.  Not only is it much less awkward to use, it fits in tighter spaces and properly fits a wider range of screw sizes.  To me, that phillips is worth an extra layer on its own, even if the magnifier wasn't paired with it.  Those that like that layer just for the phillips could also opt for the bit driver as well, but it is a considerably thicker layer.

Of course I realize that people have varying needs, and many likely don't turn as many phillips screws as I do.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:13:00 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 12:23:08 AM
4 layers...?
I don't even need to think about it. Deluxe Tinker of course!!  :salute:
Even though i whish it was a Deluxe Climber...  :facepalm:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: July 08, 2021, 03:22:20 AM
4 layers...?
I don't even need to think about it. Deluxe Tinker of course!!  :salute:
Even though i whish it was a Deluxe Climber...  :facepalm:
I've seen one Deluxe Climber for sale on eBay in the last few months. And it had a bent corkscrew.

I was looking for one myself. They do seem rare.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:41:26 AM by SteveP »
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: July 08, 2021, 03:23:49 AM
I like the Deluxe Tinker pliers, so it's my most carried 4 layer (followed by a Huntsman). 

Your eyeglasses have 8x magnification lenses, like the mag glass on my Explorer? Impressive!
 :pok:
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: July 08, 2021, 03:40:16 AM
I think you'll find that many folks such as myself enjoy that layer for the in-line phillips, which I find is much more useful than the back-spring phillips.  Not only is it much less awkward to use, it fits in tighter spaces and properly fits a wider range of screw sizes.  To me, that phillips is worth an extra layer on its own, even if the magnifier wasn't paired with it.  Those that like that layer just for the phillips could also opt for the bit driver as well, but it is a considerably thicker layer.

Of course I realize that people have varying needs, and many likely don't turn as many phillips screws as I do.
I'll add that the square shaft of the inline Phillips fits a hex bit coupler I have almost perfectly, allowing me to use my SAKs with any 1/4 inch hex bit or socket. No funky-sized bits like with the CyberTools.
2021-07-07 20.29.37.jpg
* 2021-07-07 20.29.37.jpg (Filesize: 480.44 KB)
SAKs:

es Offline pitquim

Reply #66 on: July 08, 2021, 09:43:31 AM
Hi Everyone:

I'm carrying an Explorer in my pocket since I recived one as a gift from my wife in 1999. Unfortunately, it was confiscated in a security control in Paris in 2015.
Therefore I'm 6 years with a new one (6x glass lens)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:05:15 PM by pitquim »
With an Explorer in my pocket everyday since 1999
IG: @pitquim

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: July 08, 2021, 10:24:08 AM
I'll add that the square shaft of the inline Phillips fits a hex bit coupler I have almost perfectly, allowing me to use my SAKs with any 1/4 inch hex bit or socket. No funky-sized bits like with the CyberTools.

That's great.... but as far as using hex bit adapters, i'd rather use the bottle opener with it. It fits perfectly and you can use it with any Sak that has a bottle opener, and not restrict yourself to one model...

My little selection of "utilities"...  :D

that fit conveniently in a small package...

that fit conveniently in my coin pouch, along with coins and keys...

:P

EDIT: Just a side note regarding the Explorer, even if i like the model, i just can't bring myself to justify carrying a 4 layer Sak with a thick layer for an inline philips when i have other more diverse options to have inline philips and other SD types if i need to, the mag glass is irrelevant to me. For that kind of bulk the DT makes a hell of a lot more sense since it gives me the pliers, a functionality unavailable on the other models  ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:56:13 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #68 on: July 08, 2021, 10:51:12 AM
Loving this necro thread and discussion

There's something about those four layer SAKs!!    :tu:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: July 08, 2021, 08:13:04 PM
That's great.... but as far as using hex bit adapters, i'd rather use the bottle opener with it. It fits perfectly and you can use it with any Sak that has a bottle opener, and not restrict yourself to one model...

Thanks for sharing your kit, MacGyver. I like the small case and the coin pouch.

I've heard of other people using 1/4 inch drive adapters on the bottle opener.

The hex bit coupler I have came with a Gerber/Winchester multi-tool and is smaller than a 1/4 inch drive. It doesn't fit on the bottle opener, but fits well on the inline Phillips and is magnetized so it "sticks" to the inline Phillips and holds in the bits.

Added bonus - it fits pretty well on the combo tool on my Mini Champ if I need to get into tight spaces.   :tu:

My main daily SAKs are Explorer and Swiss Champ, both with inline Phillips, so I'm set!
SAKs:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #70 on: July 08, 2021, 09:03:25 PM
Your eyeglasses have 8x magnification lenses, like the mag glass on my Explorer? Impressive!
 :pok:

No, but my field of view is expansive.  ;) :pok:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: July 08, 2021, 10:25:00 PM
No, but my field of view is expansive.  ;) :pok:
Nice!  :salute:

I used to wonder about the tiny field of view from the SAK mag glasses, but then I heard a tip about holding the mag glass up to your eye like a jeweler's loupe and bringing the object you want to examine up to it.

Doesn't work in all circumstances (like looking at scary bugs), but definitely lets me get more usefulness from it.
SAKs:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #72 on: July 08, 2021, 11:47:30 PM
Nice!  :salute:

I used to wonder about the tiny field of view from the SAK mag glasses, but then I heard a tip about holding the mag glass up to your eye like a jeweler's loupe and bringing the object you want to examine up to it.

Doesn't work in all circumstances (like looking at scary bugs), but definitely lets me get more usefulness from it.

Never heard that, so I had to try it out.  With my glasses on, it's a no go.  Glasses off, I can make it work.  However, the best view was glasses on, both mag and viewed item held at chest level.   :tu:

Offline stugumby

Reply #73 on: July 11, 2021, 01:53:06 AM
Deluxe tinker for me but i also own explorer and mountaineer. deluxe tinker the pliers are quite handy and compliments a swiss tool or spirit with its bigger scissors and a mountaineer compliments a swiss tool RS since it donst have a file. I just wish they had a semi custom platform, i would have an explorer with pliers and no corkscrew in a nano blink.

es Offline pitquim

Reply #74 on: July 11, 2021, 07:06:59 PM
I just wish they had a semi custom platform...

:iagree:
With an Explorer in my pocket everyday since 1999
IG: @pitquim

ca Offline Altis

Reply #75 on: July 13, 2021, 12:02:34 AM
Keeping in mind that the FarmerX wasn't around when this poll was made, as that'd be my current favourite...

I can't decide between Deluxe Tinker and Explorer.  :think:

I'd say the Explorer is more "lovable" -- it's among the best EDCs and the mag glass is more useful to me than I give it credit for. Feels perfect in-hand and one of my favourite looking. It's also one of the few that can come stock with plus scales/tools.

The Deluxe Tinker is such a complete package and I love the pliers. I must admit that I actually don't own one  :ahhh ... I have a CyberTool 34/M which is very similar, and I can't think of a situation where I'd choose the DT over the CT34. But given that my CT has high sentimental value, perhaps a DT is in order for situations where it could be lost more easily...  :whistle:

us Offline jph_777

Reply #76 on: July 19, 2021, 01:10:07 AM
The Explorer deserves all the accolades it gets.  I used one for many years before I found out a Yeoman is basically the same, with one less layer.  Now I carry a Yeoman.  But if it's 4 layers, stock, I will still choose the Explorer.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #77 on: July 19, 2021, 03:27:43 AM
Keeping in mind that the FarmerX wasn't around when this poll was made, as that'd be my current favourite...

:Agree:  Stock 4-layer has been the Farmer X since it came out.

The Explorer deserves all the accolades it gets.  I used one for many years before I found out a Yeoman is basically the same, with one less layer.  Now I carry a Yeoman.  But if it's 4 layers, stock, I will still choose the Explorer.

:Agree:  I liked the Explorer, but absolutely love the Yeoman.  The one layer decrease makes it even nicer for carry.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #78 on: July 19, 2021, 06:31:00 PM
I agree with Sherry  :iagree: FX all the way. I don't need/want scale tools and Alox is where it's at for me  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #79 on: July 21, 2021, 09:05:55 AM
Explorer.
Rambler

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #80 on: July 21, 2021, 06:52:56 PM
I voted fieldmaster, but that's kind of like asking which kid is my favorite.
Fieldmaster is the best sometimes, or maybe explorer. Then sometimes I grab the huntsman. This is why I end up standing in front of the dresser looking at knives for 30 minutes every morning! :facepalm:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #81 on: July 22, 2021, 05:29:58 AM
I voted fieldmaster, but that's kind of like asking which kid is my favorite.
Fieldmaster is the best sometimes, or maybe explorer. Then sometimes I grab the huntsman. This is why I end up standing in front of the dresser looking at knives for 30 minutes every morning! :facepalm:

That's why the wisest choose their kit the night before. Then you can stare at them for an hour.  :pok: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%