Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The HOOK brings you back

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: The HOOK brings you back
Reply #150 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:55 PM
I use the hook to pull open the zippers of my backpack. When i ride the train or in public im pretty sure that no one would bother trying to open my pack sneakily.
So have you removed the zipper pulls for added security and just used your SAK to open them?

If that's the case, I have to say that's a pretty clever idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CARBON COPY... genius in its simplicity. Remove the pull tab from the zipper slider to make it difficult for someone to open your pack...so using the hook on my Deluxe Tinker, I just tested it on my day pack and it works. It won't stop a determined thief who has time, but most people would look at it and move on in favor of an easier "get."

Now back to normal programming: I ALSO tested this using the hook of my bottle cap opener (cap lifter). I placed it inside the eyelet of the slider, and THAT works, too. Actually better because it gets into that little eyelet easier. As does the can opener. And the awl. And the toothpick. The plyers of the Deluxe Tinker and other models can be used to grab the outside surface of the zipper slider and move it that way.

It's clever, but I'm just reinforcing my position that the hook is a superfluous addition to the SAK.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #151 on: August 24, 2017, 12:36:46 AM
The Multipurpose Hook, a highly underestimated tool indeed...The hook has a very satisfying element of surprise to it. And it saved my day on more than one occasion.

Once I was riding my bike to school, it was exam day! Halfway my chain got derailed and got stuck, really stuck, between the rear gears. It was impossible to budge. I tried sticks, my hands. I was a oily mess and nothing worked. Then I recalled my Handymand an opened the hook. One tug and the chain was free! I quickly replaced it and raced to school.  Just shy of 20 minutes late, the deadline for entry.

I wouldn't want to miss the hook!
This has got to be one of the BEST uses of the hook that I've heard so far!
All the stuff the OP mentioned such as tightening small brass hooks or pulling guitar strings I always do with my fingers. But the bike chain. Hey hey! Good idea!
Always think outside of the box and keep a loose and open mind
I think most people do, actually. How many times have you seen someone use a kitchen knife as a pry bar, screwdriver, an even a hammer?
What's odd to me is how many "unprepared" type people who are quick to abuse a kitchen utensil and would never think to buy a SAK, think of using a knife blade for everything. But the type of people who buy a SAK seem more resourceful and prepared, in general, but we often struggle to think of using a tool for an "off label" use.
I think we're all resourceful under the right conditions. As the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of Invention". I think our problem is focusing on the labels. I like what another poster said about the hook. (Paraphrasing) It's not a "parcel hook"; it's just a metal hook.

One has to know the tool as well. We all know that prying with blade tips is BAD, due to the way they are made, and the the SAK screwdrivers are better for the job.
Think outside the box, like MacGyver, but know the theoretical stuff, such as reasons why it might(will)/might not (will not) work, like MacGyver.   :cheers:

Of course, when i say "think outside the box", i'm assuming people are aware of the physical limitations of the tools and what kind of use (or abuse) would damage them in order to stay away from that danger area. I'm also assuming that people (at least Sak and MT lovers) are aware that prying (anything) with any of the blades is an absolute NO-NO  :twak:

:cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: August 24, 2017, 07:28:41 PM
..so again, I say that whatever the hook can do, seems to be able to be done by something else...

Well that is true. It's also true of every tool on every SAK. The only thing a SAK can do, that some other tool can't do, is look like a real SAK. Your line of reasoning would seem to suggest that you should put your SAK's in storage...or ***gulp***...sell them all and invest in task specific tools.  :pok:

Let's say you were not out riding and didn't have your bicycling tool kit, but encountered a damsel in distress who need a spoke tightened on her bicycle while wearing a loose corset. Would you render assistance if you could with your trusty SAK and extensive knowledge?

Prepared is prepared. Just sayin'.....

:pok:

TWICE if possible!

But seriously...all of the other tools on the SAK have at least one dedicated purpose. Some are even named after that purpose. Screwdriver. Bottle opener. The hook is just such a wide net to cast.

I have a 30 year old Super Tinker with no hook and I love it. Then again, I have a newer Tinker Deluxe with a hook, and I haven't tossed that out as junk

:like:  I'm with you, I really do like the pre-hook SuperTinkers!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #153 on: August 24, 2017, 09:31:27 PM
I prefer my newer Climber-with-hook to my Pre-hook Climber. I just love that hook.   :climber:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #154 on: August 24, 2017, 10:07:30 PM
Right on Nix!!!  :climber:
Barry

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #155 on: August 24, 2017, 10:09:00 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #156 on: August 24, 2017, 10:16:01 PM
And I'm not sure that I'll ever be totally happy with my bladeless Woodsman until I get new scales, buff up the tools, and oh yeah, add a hook.  :-\ :facepalm:

The back is looking unsymmetrical without a tool on the opposite side as the corkscrew, and the scissors go on that layer, so the only thing that fits is the hook.  :climber:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #157 on: August 24, 2017, 10:22:44 PM
Pablo, is it time to change your screen name to "Cap'n Hook"?

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #158 on: August 24, 2017, 10:27:08 PM
And I'm not sure that I'll ever be totally happy with my bladeless Woodsman until I get new scales, buff up the tools, and oh yeah, add a hook.  :-\ :facepalm:
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
The back is looking unsymmetrical without a tool on the opposite side as the corkscrew, and the scissors go on that layer, so the only thing that fits is the hook.  :climber:

Then you can sell the spring to a hook hater for way more than it's worth.  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #159 on: August 24, 2017, 10:40:46 PM

I'll put a close up pic of the hook as my avatar.  :rofl:

All hail the hook!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #160 on: August 25, 2017, 02:58:01 AM

I'll put a close up pic of the hook as my avatar.  :rofl:

Here you go Cap'n Hook...    :drink:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #161 on: August 25, 2017, 03:27:18 AM
 :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #162 on: August 25, 2017, 04:13:47 AM
 :rofl:
Barry

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #163 on: August 25, 2017, 05:27:22 AM
It also works great for carry bundles. When people think using it for boxes they only imagine one with the string around it, which is good too, but people never think of multiple boxes specially a few smaller ones. Or essentially multiples of any items, fishes fruits, wood, rock, loose tools anything that needs carrying. What you do is use a Cargo Net like bike messengers do, really compact and light since its just nylon cordage essentially and put each corner into the hook. Even a tiny net is helpful.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

The HOOK brings you back
Reply #164 on: August 28, 2017, 11:24:36 PM
By now you've heard of Hurricane Harvey pounding the hell out of the Houston, Texas area. Today, my father-in-law and I took a raft and a kayak out to try to evac some geriatric patients from a flooded nursing home. By the time we were able to get to it, FEMA and the National Guard has swarmed the area with resources and the didn't need help from us and our little boats. As we were drifting down the middle of a downtown street headed back to my jeep to load up and clear out, we saw a middle-aged woman standing in the water wearing pajama bottoms, a t-shirt, and a black garbage bag for a rain poncho. She flagged us down and asked if we could open her car trunk and fish out her plastic bag of clothes (presumably to take to the shelter with her). Her car was flooded up to the door handles in the middle of the road. She gave me her key but there was no key hole in the trunk and her electric switch was under water (shorted) and the battery had died. It took some searching but I found the manual release pull behind the rear head rest.
I used the flat screwdriver (bottle opener) on my Craftsman to pop off the cover. The opening was too small for an adult finger to grab the cable. I used the hook to pull the cable and pop the trunk.

I had a deeply satisfying feeling of thinking, "THAT is what that tool--even what a SAK as a whole--was made for!"
P.S. I was also carrying a Leatherman Supertool 200. It never saw the light of day.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:00:47 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #165 on: August 28, 2017, 11:27:14 PM
 :like:  :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: August 29, 2017, 12:29:17 AM
Nice work Mr. Yeti :salute: :salute: :salute:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: August 29, 2017, 04:29:11 AM
Good story, Yeti, and nice work!   :2tu:  :hatsoff:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #168 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:54 AM
Outstanding job!!
Barry

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #169 on: August 29, 2017, 05:26:16 AM
Thanks, guys! It was wet and cold but I don't really consider it any kind of sacrifice at all because it was a really fun, surreal experience.
Here's a few pics from our kayaking down the middle of the streets.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #170 on: August 29, 2017, 03:51:03 PM
Sorry you are having to deal with all that!

Great use of the hook!  :salute:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #171 on: August 29, 2017, 05:24:51 PM
A use for the hook, opening big cans easily.  :)

Of course, the pull tab had to break when I tried to open the can, after taking the photo, so I needed pliers to finish the job.  :facepalm:

With these type of opening, you need the tab to first make a small opening in the lid. This breaks the integrity of the lid and makes it easier to open. If you just pull the tab, it breaks, because the attachment point is weaker than the lid resistance.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #172 on: August 29, 2017, 06:05:50 PM
A use for the hook, opening big cans easily.  :)

Of course, the pull tab had to break when I tried to open the can, after taking the photo, so I needed pliers to finish the job.  :facepalm:

With these type of opening, you need the tab to first make a small opening in the lid. This breaks the integrity of the lid and makes it easier to open. If you just pull the tab, it breaks, because the attachment point is weaker than the lid resistance.
I figured out what I did wrong.  :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #173 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:00 PM
By now you've heard of Hurricane Harvey pounding the hell out of the Houston, Texas area. Today, my father-in-law and I took a raft and a kayak out to try to evac some geriatric patients from a flooded nursing home. By the time we were able to get to it, FEMA and the National Guard has swarmed the area with resources and the didn't need help from us and our little boats. As we were drifting down the middle of a downtown street headed back to my jeep to load up and clear out, we saw a middle-aged woman standing in the water wearing pajama bottoms, a t-shirt, and a black garbage bag for a rain poncho. She flagged us down and asked if we could open her car trunk and fish out her plastic bag of clothes (presumably to take to the shelter with her). Her car was flooded up to the door handles in the middle of the road. She gave me her key but there was no key hole in the trunk and her electric switch was under water (shorted) and the battery had died. It took some searching but I found the manual release pull behind the rear head rest.
I used the flat screwdriver (bottle opener) on my Craftsman to pop off the cover. The opening was too small for an adult finger to grab the cable. I used the hook to pull the cable and pop the trunk.

I had a deeply satisfying feeling of thinking, "THAT is what that tool--even what a SAK as a whole--was made for!"
P.S. I was also carrying a Leatherman Supertool 200. It never saw the light of day.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Great use of the hook Yeti!   :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #174 on: August 30, 2017, 05:02:47 AM

Good job! Keep safe- I won't tell you to stay dry, that isn't happening.

I sometimes wonder if someone woke up in the middle of the night, and sketched the hook he'd seen in a dream. Had a vision. The hook is one of those tools that until you need it, you wonder about it. Then, one day... yep. You needed it. And that is why it was there. In a way, it is meditative, pondering the hook.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #175 on: August 30, 2017, 08:41:36 AM
Funny ironraven, I had exactly the same thought. The Zen of the Hook  ;).

I have used the hook on my Cybertool more than once for grabbing otherwise unreachable wires and have wondered ever since how such a, well, 'simple' tool has found its place among the other, more sophisticated and precision-engineered SAK tools...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:43:15 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #176 on: August 30, 2017, 04:19:53 PM
This is during the biggest storm probably in a lifetime. That makes  a good deed a great deed.

My stance on the hook remains the same. Many tools could have done that, but I think what you did is what any Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife- carrying person carries them for, in the big picture.

I got a kick out of the fact that through all that adventure, you had the wherewithal to take a pic of the hook in action

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #177 on: August 30, 2017, 05:19:34 PM
Awesome story Yeti!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #178 on: August 30, 2017, 05:53:02 PM
I got a kick out of the fact that through all that adventure, you had the wherewithal to take a pic of the hook in action
LOL!
Honestly, I was kneeling in water thinking "Don't drop the phone! Just don't drop the phone!"

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: August 30, 2017, 06:40:31 PM

Good job! Keep safe- I won't tell you to stay dry, that isn't happening.

I sometimes wonder if someone woke up in the middle of the night, and sketched the hook he'd seen in a dream. Had a vision. The hook is one of those tools that until you need it, you wonder about it. Then, one day... yep. You needed it. And that is why it was there. In a way, it is meditative, pondering the hook.

I believe the hook to be meditative and pondering the same way one person will sit cross-legged meditating on an issue, while someone else with a corkscrew or Philips head screwdriver will just get up and do it.

For real...I challenge anyone to find a use for that vestigial organ of a tool, that I cannot also do with some other implement of a SAK. I mean - if they sold it as  a CROCHET hook, then at least it would have its singular named purpose.

Seriously keep safe Yeti! And everyone else in the path of this storm

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD