Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mini Suspension 2-pack

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Gerber Mini Suspension 2-pack
on: January 19, 2013, 08:09:58 PM
This is the review on the 2-pack of the Gerber Mini Suspensions.

This 2-pack is usually available at under $20, and currently available at Cabela's on sale for $12.

The pack contains two 'keychain size' tools, the Mini Suspension S and the Mini Suspension P. The only difference between the two tools is the S has scissors as it's main tool, and the P has pliers.

This is the same line of tools as the Splice, and Clutch. Except for scales, the S seems to be identical to the Shortcut. And if you replaced the nail file on the P with a serrated blade, you would have the Bear Grylls Mini Multi Tool.

For their size, these are fairly heavy tools, at about 3.3oz (94g).

The scissors on the Mini Suspension S are just excellent. The best I've tested to date, in fact (for right-handed users). Here's a link to my scissor test on it.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.msg677793.html#msg677793

The plier head on the P is about the same size as found on the Leatherman keychain size plier-based tools, and fairly similar in shape. The nose comes together with very high precision, and the wire cutters cut through 12-gauge solid copper wire with a more solid feeling than the equivalent Leatherman pliers.

The main tools on each MT are held closed very securely by backsprings, and rest against these same backsprings when deployed. This deployment and the tool closure has a good snap to it, and seems very solid.

Aside from the differences above, the tools are otherwise identical. Each has 6 implements that are accessible while the main tool is closed: Blade, Nail File, Small Flathead, Tweezers, 2-dimensional Phillips, and a combo Flathead/Caplifter.

The blade is a very slightly hollow-ground spearpoint, about 1 3/4" (45mm) long, and comes paper cutting sharp out of the package. Unlike many keychain size offerings, it's a standard edge grind, so sharpening should be a somewhat easier task. It has a large and easy to catch nail nick. The blade has a strong retention, both open and closed (when new. I'm not sure how that may change over time).

The Nail file is much broader than most other tools in the size. It's the same sandpaper like texture as seen on Victorinox 58mm, Wenger 85mm, and many keychain size Leatherman (excluding the Squirt). it also has a good hook for digging under the nail. I suspect it would make a decent general scraping tool.

Aside from those two longer tools, the remaining ones are short, at about 3/4" (19mm). This limits the usefulness of all, to a degree.

The Small Flathead is over rounded. Out of package, I'd say it's not worth much, but I think a little file work could give a very serviceable tool, and the shape makes me think that conversion into an awl would be a pretty simple task.

The Tweezers are permanently attached, and have a slight angle to the head. They are serviceable, and i think in general, on par with victorinox, and similar tweezers.

The 2-Dimensionsal Phillips is fairly stout. I was able to turn a wood screw, but felt a good deal of torsion in the tool, making me fear either breaking the frame or bending the tool. But it will work quite well for all light duty tasks (where the short reach doesn't interfere).

The flathead/caplifter has a well formed flat edge on the driver blade, making for secure hold on screws. Like the phillips, if reach isn't an issue, it should handle all light duty chores. The cap lifter is finicky and rather bad, but functions, even if it takes 3 or 4 pulls to remove the cap.

Each have a lanyard attachment and split ring.

Ergonomics on the tools are not great. The scales give good grip, but have edges that dig in when applying force. Overall, these tools feel a little more solid than most keychain tools, but you pay for that with a lot of extra weight.

Overall, their biggest downside to me is their weight. They have about the same function as the Leatherman Squirt line, but weigh about 1 1/2 times as much. If that's not a problem, they seem to be solid little tools, and can occasionally be found at very good sale prices.

The pair is pictured below with Leatherman Juice CS4, Style PS, and Victorinox Rambler for scale.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:45:08 PM by Lynn LeFey »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gerber Mini Suspension 2-pack
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:19:56 PM
Very good review lynn  :tu: i had a clutch for a while but found it bulky for my keychain. but ok for pocket carry.   :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:55:14 PM
I think that's a darn good accessment on these tools... too big for keychain but pretty comfortable in the pocket. I was thinking that the P would be a good little tacklebox tool.

I wonder if, in general, Gerber feels that these have been outmoded by the Dime?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:29:53 PM
Thanks for the overview Lynn  :tu: I must admit I've never tried the scissor versions of these small Gerber tools other than the Dead Fly (Solstice) ...

.... but I have had chance to play with pliers versions. I thought the pliers themselves were OK, but the other tools had weird nail nick that I couldn't get any purchase on, so the tools were a real chuff to get out. As for the Dime, I think it blows away all it's predecessors and also it's neighbourly competition (the Squirt P4)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:32:24 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:57:41 PM
Thanks for the overview Lynn  :tu: I must admit I've never tried the scissor versions of these small Gerber tools other than the Dead Fly (Solstice) ...

(Image removed from quote.)

.... but I have had chance to play with pliers versions. I thought the pliers themselves were OK, but the other tools had weird nail nick that I couldn't get any purchase on, so the tools were a real chuff to get out. As for the Dime, I think it blows away all it's predecessors and also it's neighbourly competition (the Squirt P4)

Funny you should mention the Solstice AL
I recently bought a few items off a collector who was selling up. The Solstice, Tread and Crosscut (usa) all arrived yesterday. The Solstice is deceptively heavy for what it is - and a real sod to fold back up. Those shears  scissors are incredibly sharp, I know it's only a matter of time till they bite me. All in all - nice!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:57 PM
I've always been a big fan of the Clutch,in all its different dresses.Never tried the scissors variants .I think their a highly underrated mini tool
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:36:22 PM
I set the Mini Suspension P on the stand next to my husband's comfy chair. We have an exercise bike that he will occasionally ride, and when he does, he wears his headphones, but his phone case recesses the jack too far to be grabbed by hand, so he needs pliers to remove them.

Yesterday, he used the bottle opener, and proclaimed it 'Terrible'. He usually carries a Micra, and said by comparison, the Micra's opener is WAY better. That's saying something because I don't think the Micra's bottle opener is very good (most keychain tools aren't).

So, just another real-world test for ya. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:39 PM
As others have said I rather liked the Clutch but also found it a little too bulky for keyring carry.  Nice review Lynn. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 12:30:17 AM
I got a mini suspension S that came with the gerber essentials combo pack with the tempo flashlight and the serrated paraframe I. The mini suspension s performed well beyond expectations everytime i took it with me when I travel!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD