Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm driver question?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
58mm driver question?
on: August 28, 2017, 08:32:18 PM
This one is for all the Rambler and Mini Champ users.
How often well screws that fit the Phillips driver also safely with out buggering up the screw be turned with the SD file\ruler tip? Is it common for both drivers to work on the same Phillips head screw?

Thinking about getting a Rambler or MC.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: 58mm driver question?
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:41:09 PM
I find the 58mm phillips tool works well on screws that are too small for the nail file SD tip. It also allows you to put a bit more torque on the same screws that the nail file SD tip might fit in.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:19 AM
I find the 58mm phillips tool works well on screws that are too small for the nail file SD tip. It also allows you to put a bit more torque on the same screws that the nail file SD tip might fit in.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:36:17 AM
If you want a "real" driver on a keychain SAK, find yourself a (discontinued) Wenger Pocket Tool Chest and mod the eyeglass driver like this.
PTC_Mod.jpg
* PTC_Mod.jpg (Filesize: 37.93 KB)
- Steve

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:49:05 AM
It's held up REALLY well for me. I don't prefer the bottle opener but it works.   I the Phillips driver quite a bit for pedals/guitars/appliances and even some heavier tasks and it has held up surprisingly well.  The magnetism wears off after a while but you can just leave it on a magnet over night every once in a while then you're awl good.  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 03:55:23 AM
It's held up REALLY well for me. I don't prefer the bottle opener but it works.   I the Phillips driver quite a bit for pedals/guitars/appliances and even some heavier tasks and it has held up surprisingly well.  The magnetism wears off after a while but you can just leave it on a magnet over night every once in a while then you're awl good.  :cheers:
Yeah lol the bottle opener on the Rambler/Manager is pretty terrible. It will get a bottle cap off, eventually, but I can't give it any higher praise than that.

Btw El C, I just realized that your avatar is a SAK corkscrew head on. It all makes sense now!  :doh:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:57:12 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 04:13:16 AM
Awlso, it's pretty darn thick.  Here it is beside the cap lifter on a 93mm Soldier
WP_20170828_19_10_24_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170828_19_10_24_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 206.75 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 04:28:17 AM
Btw El C, I just realized that your avatar is a SAK corkscrew head on. It all makes sense now!  :doh:

:rofl:
Yeah, it kinda ended up looking a bit like alien poo.. Or a weird eye.. But I'm like.. It's awl good. 😀

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:44 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. El C the pic helps thanks.
Let me give you guys a better idea of my needs. Currently I carry a pocket tool chest and have for years and have never felt a need for the 3D phillips. But with the PTC discontinued I may be forced to carry a 58mm. I personally get more use with a 2D driver. It makes a great pry bar\scrapper  and works on both Phillips and standard screwdriver.
The PTC driver is about the same size as the 58mm SD tip so screws to small for the SD tip gives me a better idea of what I'm looking at if I'm forced  to go 58.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

20170829_091229.jpg
* 20170829_091229.jpg (Filesize: 278.74 KB)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:20:44 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:19 PM

:rofl:
Yeah, it kinda ended up looking a bit like alien poo.. Or a weird eye.. But I'm like.. It's awl good. 😀
I never realised that it was a corkscrew.  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:45 PM
If you want a "real" driver on a keychain SAK, find yourself a (discontinued) Wenger Pocket Tool Chest and mod the eyeglass driver like this.

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Thanks for the responses everyone. El C the pic helps thanks.
Let me give you guys a better idea of my needs. Currently I carry a pocket tool chest and have for years and have never felt a need for the 3D phillips. But with the PTC discontinued I may be forced to carry a 58mm. I personally get more use with a 2D driver. It makes a great pry bar\scrapper  and works on both Phillips and standard screwdriver.
The PTC driver is about the same size as the 58mm SD tip so screws to small for the SD tip gives me a better idea of what I'm looking at if I'm forced  to go 58.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

The Manager/Rambler Phillips is excellent, and covers an obscenely wide range of cross head screws. It doesn't cover the eyeglass use, though the 58mm tweezers can be used if desperate (not great, but better than nothing). The SD tip on the file is very good too. Between these two, there are many options covered. I see the PTC as the next logical step up from the Rambler as the Minichamp has a lot of questionable content, but carried a Manager for many years on my car keys, and used every tool on it many many times. Well worth getting - it's really just a matter of whether you want a pen or second removable scale tool

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:46 PM
I find that 3D Phillips driver works well on kids toys and electronics with recessed screws which the sd on the nail file could reach.
Personally the rambler is my favorite SAK. I feel it punches way outside its weight class.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 09:42:52 PM
I find that 3D Phillips driver works well on kids toys and electronics with recessed screws which the sd on the nail file could reach.
Personally the rambler is my favorite SAK. I feel it punches way outside its weight class.
:imws:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79