Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A diary of a molle sheath

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: A diary of a molle sheath
Reply #90 on: July 03, 2017, 06:16:21 PM
Out of curiosity, has gone  tried to use a Buckknife sheath for their LM MT? I already use a tan brown Wave leather sheath for my PST. Mostly because I didn't have an original style one.

But if the new molle sheaths like this one, and the new bonded leather sheath are such crap, it just struck me that Buck knife sheath for the 110 and 112 are thick, quality leather made in Mexico. They may not be US made, but the quality of leather products in general coming out of Mexico has been reminiscent of original run PST sheath work.

good idea  :like:

I have a 112 sheath and a Rebar fits with room to spare length wise. An original Wave fits nicely as well. I think a new Wave could fit with a little stretching. The Blast also fits with some stretching.

I imagine that the 110 sheath might fit the bigger tools.

Another option is to look for the old Leatherman sheaths on E-Bay. That's what I did and have one for every Leatherman I have.

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #91 on: July 03, 2017, 11:27:45 PM
I have two 110 sheaths and will give one of them a go when I get home from work! Great idea beagle :salute:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #92 on: July 03, 2017, 11:31:34 PM
My 110 sheath is nylon  :-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #93 on: July 04, 2017, 02:03:43 AM
I like the extra pockets and not sure if the 110 sheath has those :think: I keep the LM bit adapter with it's bit card in the molle always and just swap tools out daily :salute: I also like how unbulky that the sheath feels and how low it rides on my belt :tu: I have several other sheaths to choose from and if the other style molle holds up it will definitely be my favorite sheath :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: July 04, 2017, 03:43:03 AM
Happy to help, fellas...I can't say I had tried it either, yet. It just hit me then because I have a 20 year old Browning model 810, locking folder - obviously patterned after the Buck - and the nylon sheath appears to be the exact same as the nylon sheath that came with the OG Super Tool. Even the same red and white color scheme on black nylon...so I thought the Buck 110 sheath may be good for the 4.5" tools while the 112 sheath may be good for the 4".

Sounds like a good reason to buy my first actual Buck.

Poncho, I suppose you are right...no bit storage in a buck sheath. But then again, no bit storage in an original PST sheath either, and they are the balls.

I don't carry any extra bits for e leatherman, but whereas you do, I guess the Bucks are a no-go for you.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 03:50:22 AM

good idea  :like:

I have a 112 sheath and a Rebar fits with room to spare length wise. An original Wave fits nicely as well. I think a new Wave could fit with a little stretching. The Blast also fits with some stretching.

I imagine that the 110 sheath might fit the bigger tools.

Another option is to look for the old Leatherman sheaths on E-Bay. That's what I did and have one for every Leatherman I have.
[/quote]

Yes, one day I hope to find a fist full of OG Leatherman PST sheaths on eBay or something, and buy them up.

I guess this is one of the ways leatherman can keep costs down - not caring as much about the sheath as they put more resources into tools. I can't imagine what it would cost to design, source and manufacture PST quality leather sheaths for every tool they come out with.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 03:51:52 AM
Thanks SteveC and thanks TSawyer

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 01:33:43 PM
I have one well used 110 leather sheath in which my new Wave fits pretty well. Perhaps some light cloth packed in the bottom so the MT sits within fingers reach.
My Surge also fits in the worn sheath (haven't tried the new sheath) but it's super snug. The Surge has roughly 1/2 inch of room at the bottom while closed.
Definitely a fantastic option to have if or when the current sheaths fail.

Here is my new wave with my thumb giving a rough guide to how much room is below the tool in the sheath

Here is my Surge in the same sheath

Here's the Surge with the sheath closed just for proof

But for now, this is my current sheath for my Surge and hopefully it will last a long while.

Tom :salute:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 05:18:06 PM
Hi Tom,

Nice 50th anniversary Buck . Seems like Steve said...the 112 sheath might work even better for the "smaller" LM tools.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 05:35:48 PM
 The OG Supertool almost fits in the 112 sheath, again I think the sheath could be stretched to make it fit.

Thundah

Here is a NOS PST sheath, he had five only one left. I had posted it in the Deal section of the forum  :pok:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Replacement-LEATHER-Case-4-Brand-New-Fits-Wave-/371991881824?hash=item569c71a860:g:VuIAAOSwiQ9ZTqQa

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: July 05, 2017, 03:05:14 PM
Poncho, I suppose you are right...no bit storage in a buck sheath. But then again, no bit storage in an original PST sheath either, and they are the balls.

I don't carry any extra bits for e leatherman, but whereas you do, I guess the Bucks are a no-go for you.

I have nearly as many of the old school sheaths as Steve  ;) but I carry the same sheath for work daily to keep me from having to switch everytime I swap a MT out  :tu: It is more convenient for me to just swap the MT of the day into the same sheath with the bit adapper already in it whether that MT works with the adapter or not :cheers: I was swapping sheath and all out daily for a good while and that was beginning to be to much of a chore and this solution suits me much better :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: July 05, 2017, 10:19:31 PM
 :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:34 AM
The OG Supertool almost fits in the 112 sheath, again I think the sheath could be stretched to make it fit.

Thundah

Here is a NOS PST sheath, he had five only one left. I had posted it in the Deal section of the forum  :pok:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Replacement-LEATHER-Case-4-Brand-New-Fits-Wave-/371991881824?hash=item569c71a860:g:VuIAAOSwiQ9ZTqQa

Thank you, SteveC, I will take  a look at this

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:59 AM

Thundah

Alas, the last one has sold. I just missed it. Have to keep looking, but thanks Steve

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #104 on: July 06, 2017, 03:32:36 AM
They come up on the bay of E way more than one would think :salute: Sorry you missed out Thundah :-\ Hopefully you will get one before to long :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: July 06, 2017, 05:56:45 AM

Thundah

Alas, the last one has sold. I just missed it. Have to keep looking, but thanks Steve

I'll find you another  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: July 12, 2017, 08:00:43 PM
So far so good, the piece of cloth in the bottom has stopped the sheath tearing and it seems to be holding up everywhere else :tu: The surge I am carrying wouldn't fit through the hole.in the bottom either way so unless the weight of it makes the tear worse I should be good :tu:

20170712_103748 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

20170712_103742 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: July 20, 2017, 05:30:03 AM
Almost feels like adding the strip of cloth is cheating, if the goal is to find out how long the cheap molle sheath lasts...

Then again, maybe you should just sell your "plans" of a simple piece of cloth to Leatherman so the sheath can be improved

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:29 AM
Almost feels like adding the strip of cloth is cheating, if the goal is to find out how long the cheap molle sheath lasts...
True, but the sheath wouldn't be in such a state if he hadn't put a Gerber with pointy bits in it.  :pok:

us Offline aluminated

A diary of a molle sheath
Reply #109 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:28 AM
Maybe, but there are so many other shortcomings to the Large and Universal molle sheaths. The bottom edge of the pouch-side Velcro has totally ripped away from the stitching on one of mine. It gets virtually no use and still it is failing. I'd much rather have any of the nylon (non-molle) sheaths.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #110 on: July 20, 2017, 06:01:35 AM
Yeah I would rank the standard nylon sheath above the molle as well.

us Offline aluminated

Reply #111 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:15 PM
Yeah I would rank the standard nylon sheath above the molle as well.
Except the XL size. That one seems to be much better. However, even it is often too bulky for my taste.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: July 20, 2017, 04:37:10 PM

Then again, maybe you should just sell your "plans" of a simple piece of cloth to Leatherman so the sheath can be improved

Good idea :tu: get one of the cheap molle sheaths and see how long it lasts without the cloth because I have already been using the cloth to long to do a real test now :pok: Then you can put your findings in here so we can know for sure :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: July 20, 2017, 04:46:57 PM
The only thing the cloth is doing is keeping my MT from falling out and being lost forever :ahhh :D The sheath is still falling apart and I will put a pic of it up in a bit to show everyone just how big of a hole is in it :o Probably won't be much longer before I do not feel safe carrying it and will switch to the better one :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #114 on: July 20, 2017, 11:41:37 PM
To me it's just the 'pocket' part that looks like it won't last. Have you or anyone else had any issue with the rest of the sheath?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #115 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:52 PM
To me it's just the 'pocket' part that looks like it won't last. Have you or anyone else had any issue with the rest of the sheath?

So far the rest of the sheath is holding up really well :tu: Only the pocket part is failing :ahhh

Have heard maybe some people having bad luck with the velcro and someone here had the belt loop part rip very quickly (like first day they carried it quickly  :o ) it may have been ducttapetech :think:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #116 on: July 20, 2017, 11:57:16 PM
I'm just wondering how hard it would be for one of our more industrious users to make a better 'pocket'.... probably not worth the effort. I just hate seeing things go to waste.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:45 AM
I'm just wondering how hard it would be for one of our more industrious users to make a better 'pocket'.... probably not worth the effort. I just hate seeing things go to waste.

I do intend to try and put a better pocket on it after it is destroyed :salute: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #118 on: July 21, 2017, 03:34:33 AM
Here it is today :salute: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D

20170720_093933 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

The hole is very good sized and there is also another hole forming to one side of it as well :ahhh I would have lost smaller LM through this hole if not for the piece of cloth ::) Thus why I have it in there :D

us Offline aluminated

Reply #119 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:20 PM
Time for retiring.
This is mine with a stitching failure:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99