Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Want to buy my first Swiss Tool for pocket EDC… which model?

Offline maxwolfie

• New User
I see the Spirit models are more suitable for pocket EDC.

I definitely want scissors. I’d prefer silver over black. All other options are up for discussion.

I see the Spirit MX has been released but I can’t seem to find anywhere that stocks it.

I can get a Spirit X for a good price (for approx. the equivalent of $120 USD) and it is readily available.

Any comments or suggestions?

Offline ComboTool

Re: Want to buy my first Swiss Tool for pocket EDC… which model?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 11:18:07 AM
Well if you want to buy new, there's not much to choose from: only the X and MX remain. The tools are the same, the only choice is between one-hand opening of the knife blade (MX) or immediate availability (X). Now if you're willing to buy used (or if you can find old stock) the XC (serrated main blade) is an option. I am partial to the S model, but it doesn't have scissors so it doesn't fit your needs.
There are additional variations with the accompanying pouch and tools ("Plus" sets come with bits and a L-shaped driver or a ratchet) that add to the price. 120$ seems average for a naked Spirit, but it would be a great price for a set.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:24:12 AM by ComboTool »

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 02:20:52 AM
I had an issue with one of the clips I bought separately and contacted Victorinox.  They issued a refund and said that they couldn’t replace it because they were having quality control issues. They didn’t think they’d have them back in stock until May. May be the same issue with the one handed variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 04:36:56 PM
Long time user of the X.  I have all good things to say over all.  I have complained about the scissor and did a mod to help them open a bit more but in reality they work straight out the box.  Its a solid tool with terrific ergonomics.  I don't think you'll regret getting them.

Oh and then butter blade as we call it is pretty darn great.  Its a little different but its a real cutter.     
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD