Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Out of the box sharpness on older knives

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Out of the box sharpness on older knives
on: August 14, 2023, 11:01:52 PM
I've started to get my hands on some older knives from Schrade, Camillus, Imperial, etc. and I've noticed they don't seem to have a great edge on them. With modern knives even MiC brands (Marbles, RR, etc.) can be expected to be nail catching shop from the get go. Modern Bucks or Victorinoxes are like straight razors out of the box.  I was kind of disappointed when I opened some NOS from what were supposedly the best knife companies to ever exist, and found them with an edge like something I'd get from a gas station. Did companies just not sharpen knives as much back then? Is it likely (or even possible) for a knife to go dull just sitting in a drawer for a couple decades?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Out of the box sharpness on older knives
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 11:18:27 PM
The only knife manufactures I've purchased multiple knives from that have consistent edge grinds are Victorinox, and Wenger.  Opinel is pretty good as well, as are most modern folders--especially the good ones, such as Spyderco, Kershaw, etc.

Recent Case knives nearly always have a burr on the edge that needs to be knocked off, and once that's done the edge is pretty decent.  I've had mixed results with GEC, older Case, Queen, etc.  But, these are hand-made knives pretty much from start to finish, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to be of the same consistency as Victorinox.

Honestly, I kind of like the ritual of putting the edge I want on a traditional knife.  It kinda makes it "mine"; finishing it off my way.
- Terry

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:39:27 PM
All of these old US knives had to be sharpened if you expected them to shave.  Case, Schrade, Buck, Camillus etc.  I had them all back then and none were shaving sharp.  By the way, I found an old Buck 301 box with papers the other day.  40 years old, I guess.  If anybody needs one?  Best wishes. Gary

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 11:52:55 PM
Interesting. I guess I just went into it with the wrong expectations. They all take an edge well enough. I don't even know that I'd have paid much attention if I wasn't comparing the US Imp/Schrades the the Ireland ones for the challenge next month.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 12:05:42 AM
     I remember when a store owner was showing all the walk in people he knew and dealt with a new knife.  It was novel because it was the first factory knife that I guess any of us had seen that was razor sharp out of the box.  It was a Kershaw.  Now even the Rough Ryders are sharper than any of the old knives.  I will say that the Bucks, Cases, Robeson Shuredge, and others would take and hold a monumental edge.  If you could sharpen.  The old knife traders would hardly look at a Schrade, or Camillus.  They got some, but they sold cheap.  Kabar was ignored.  Imperial and Colonial didn't exist to these men.  Case, Robeson, John Primble were the ticket.  Around here anyway.  Those old brands that the traders wouldn't look at for more than a dollar or two are quite beautiful to me now.  Strange how things change.  Best wishes. Gary

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%