Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Update on the dollar pocket watch

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Update on the dollar pocket watch
on: February 27, 2022, 05:54:38 PM

That pocket watch is awesome!  I hope you can get it working, I'd love to see your process!

Def

Well I wish I could post up some fancy, impressive process, but I was stymied from the start. I opened the watch up and found that the movement was riveted together,,,,, no screws. So, from the start I was limited to what I could reach with the movement intact. My first observation was that I could not adjust the time using the winding stem. I was able to remove the stem and it seemed fine, but because of the rivets I could not access the gears to see if there was damage in that area.

With the limitations I had, there was only one wat to proceed,,, submerse it for cleaning. For this I put the movement in a small bowl of lighter fluid. Within a few minutes the watch came to life!!! As you can see in the pic, there was plenty of dirt inside the unit. The unit sat in the fluid and ran for a couple of hours. Once I removed it from the liquid it would run a while, but would occasionally stop. I figured this was because there was no lubrication on it at all after soaking in the lighter fluid. I determined that such an inexpensive, non-serviceable watch probably didn't require an expensive lubricant, so I used what I had on hand,,,,,, fishing reel oil.

The watch ran fine after re-assembly, but it ran quite fast. I adjusted the movement a bit slower and adjusted the time the only way I could,,, moving the hands,,, well,,, by hand. On day two I found it had begun occasionally stopping again. Now I need to take the hands off and remove the face to see if there is anything I can do from that side. I am a little apprehensive of removing the hands and face as I do not have the proper tools to do so. I'm sure I can do it with some handmade prying tools, but for now I am putting the project on the back burner while I study up on it.

* 20220130_153450 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 59.23 KB)

* 20220130_153507 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 66.64 KB)

* 20220130_153246 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 43.78 KB)

* 20220130_162433 (686 x 515).jpg (Filesize: 29.49 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Re: Update on the dollar pocket watch
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 05:58:13 PM
But on a very positive note,,, I purchased another one at the flea market yesterday for $12. This one is the Westclox Bulls Eye model that runs and looks great, My daughter is complaining that it ticks too loud.

* 20220227_102212 (1040 x 780).jpg (Filesize: 111.68 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 05:58:17 PM
Nice job!

I have an English-made Timex "Viscount" watch (it's a regular watch, not a pocket model)) that is an automatic movement. Originally, it ran AWFUL. I oiled it and it ran great for a while (if worn regularly, a whole day after setting it), but has recently stopped. I am going to try to use your method of cleaning. I suspect the "Stihl Multitoil Bio" I used played a part, as did 64 years of assorted grime. Thus, I'll be using a MUCH thinner oil.

I have two that were my great-granddad's, but he had watch repair as one of his big hobbies; and I suspect these were parts watches. They don't run. I'm in the market for a decent mechanical pocket watch.  I have found those Westclox are really underappreciated. A Westclox Big Ben alarm clock is replacing a modern digital Sharp that I was never a fan of.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 06:12:50 PM
Sadly these pocket watches were likely made to be used up then tossed once their usefulness was over.  Your Bulls Eye is nice.  I love the TICKING of mechanical watches. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 01:25:02 AM
Nice job!

I have an English-made Timex "Viscount" watch (it's a regular watch, not a pocket model)) that is an automatic movement. Originally, it ran AWFUL. I oiled it and it ran great for a while (if worn regularly, a whole day after setting it), but has recently stopped. I am going to try to use your method of cleaning. I suspect the "Stihl Multitoil Bio" I used played a part, as did 64 years of assorted grime. Thus, I'll be using a MUCH thinner oil.

I have two that were my great-granddad's, but he had watch repair as one of his big hobbies; and I suspect these were parts watches. They don't run. I'm in the market for a decent mechanical pocket watch.  I have found those Westclox are really underappreciated. A Westclox Big Ben alarm clock is replacing a modern digital Sharp that I was never a fan of.

Please update us on how the cleaning works and if you get it running.

Sadly these pocket watches were likely made to be used up then tossed once their usefulness was over.  Your Bulls Eye is nice.  I love the TICKING of mechanical watches. 

Thanks Aloha,,, I am really pleased with the Bulls Eye!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%