Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #390 on: January 24, 2020, 02:03:15 AM
 :iagree: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #391 on: January 24, 2020, 03:03:14 AM
 :cheers: Thanks Ray!
Barry

00 Offline Scott Plaster

• New User
Reply #392 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:31 PM
Hello, here is my Centerdrive, with a couple of changes to work a little better for me. The last picture is without the pocket clip on it. The clip and scissors are from an old gerber suspension and I filed holes on the slide so it would lock closed. I use it as a screwdriver more than a pliers so it was helpful to have it lock closed.
 I am an FEC technician and some days I wear a pullover sweater so the gerber can go into my pocket with the clip and on days I do not wear the pullover, I remove the clip and put it in a sheath on my belt.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #393 on: February 09, 2020, 11:26:45 PM
Nice mods Scott and welcome aboard!  The Center Drive covers pretty much any situation you might encounter on a job site.
Barry

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #394 on: February 09, 2020, 11:38:03 PM
Nice Centerdrive!

Welcome aboard!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #395 on: February 10, 2020, 12:26:18 AM
Nice mods, Scott; the clip in particular must make it a lot more accessible.  :like:
Gerber, are you watching?! THIS is how it should come from the factory!
 :pok:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #396 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:42 AM
 :iagree:
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #397 on: February 10, 2020, 04:29:40 AM
 :iagree: X2

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #398 on: February 10, 2020, 07:31:46 AM
Thanks to Kev (again) I've been able to examine a Centre Drive close up. I did a follow up post on the SOG PowerAccess and Syncs after I got to examine those close up, and now I can do the same with the Centre Drive.

Firstly the pliers. Kev said that he didn't think they looked very strong, but a side-by-side comparison with the Diesel showed that the construction looked solid enough for general use. I still think that the hollow spring opening construction and indexable inserts are a bad idea. These ruin what could have been a versatile and durable plier design for the reasons highlighted before. Also, the way the Centre Drive is put together, the plier heads cannot be readilly swapped with the far superior ones of the Diesel or MP600.

Secondly, the driver itself. This looks weak. I think if people start using these on heavier duty jobs such as rusted screws, we are going to be seeing broken drivers. Kev and I both agreed where the fracture point was likely to be on this. It is also LESS central (when considering both axes) than the Balance.

Cast pry tool - I still struggle to comprehend that professional tool makers would design such a thing. It's ugly, bulky, and I have no confidence in its durability. Something make from rolled plate would be stronger and thinner, leaving space for another function.

Overall, a heavier duty version of the Balance with full 1/4" hex capability would have made for a better tool. The Centre Drive is a nice looking tool, but genuinely strikes me as being less dependable for hard use than the MP600 and Diesel.

Kev, sorry to slate another of your tools buddy, and I hope it serves you better than I am anticipating. :salute: Gerber still maintains a place in my tool array with the Balance, MP400, 600, and Diesel, but the Center Drive will not be on my shopping list at any point.

:iagree:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #399 on: April 05, 2020, 03:43:05 AM
Bump!  What are all those Center Drives doing out there?
Barry

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #400 on: April 05, 2020, 03:45:48 AM
Bump!  What are all those Center Drives doing out there?

I've been using mine...       just never get any pics.   :facepalm:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #401 on: April 05, 2020, 03:57:50 AM
Same here Zoid.  I had to break mine out and use one of the Allen head bits to assemble my wife's swing the other day.  There's times that the Center Drive is the best tool I have.
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #402 on: April 05, 2020, 11:27:09 AM
Your wife's... Swing?

Nevermind...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #403 on: April 05, 2020, 03:32:11 PM
 :rofl:
Barry

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #404 on: April 14, 2020, 10:48:50 PM

Here is my just about EDC workhorse of choice for the past 9 months, a Center Drive Plus, carried in a RAE Gear sheath/holster. It replaced my previous EDC beast, a Leatherman Surge, which served me well for a couple of years before defenestrating itself from my pocket due to a wonky clip at a soccer park  :oops: . It took a bit of adjustment going from the classic butterfly-style of the Surge to the sliding OHO of the CD, but I've come to love it. I initially was concerned about the relatively limited toolset on the CD compared to the Surge, but that's kind of the point of the tool - do a few things really well. I found that tools I used the most on the Surge were, in rough order: plain-edged blade, bit driver, pliers, cap lifter, scissors, file, large flat driver (mostly as a scraper), serrated blade...and everything else very rarely. The Center Drive's...uhh...centered driver was what tipped the scales into trying the CD over simply replacing the Surge. I knew I'd miss the scissors probably the most from the Surge which is what drove me towards the CD+.

So far I haven't really regretted the decision at all. I do wish the fit and finish was a bit tighter on the Gerber (particularly in the plier head), but it ultimately hasn't effected the tool's functionality appreciably. My pliers are ever-so-slightly misaligned at the needle-nose, but I don't do much precision work that would suffer from this. The weird quirk of the extra bit holder preventing the user from really getting a tight grip at the tip is another unfortunate flaw, but again, doesn't effect my use much.

The scissors aren't anything to write home about (a little disappointing given Gerber's parent company) and I wish they would have provided a little nub or platform to prevent it from digging into your thumb on tougher materials, but they work well enough for snipping loose threads or quick paper trimming jobs.

The cap lifter/pry tool is an improvement over the Surge's combo can/bottle opener which always struggled to find purchase on a bottle cap. I haven't used the pry feature a ton, but it works great on small staples.

I took the inspiration of someone on this board during my lurking days (apologies for not remembering who) and sanded down the end of the file into a scraping tool which I've used quite a bit on errant caulk, grout, or dried-on food from my gaggle of children on just about every flat surface of my home. In a perfect world, the single cut side would be replaced with a diamond coating, but the cross-cut side is nice and aggressive for rougher jobs.

I haven't found a chance to use the awl yet, but holy hell is it sharp!

The biggest thing I missed initially was a pocket clip option. As someone crazy enough to prefer pocket clip carry for my old Surge, and averse to a bulky nylon/leather pouch on my belt I again took inspiration from someone here (maybe the same person) and tried the Nite-Ize HipClip. I tried the included adhesive strip but found that it started moving around after a week or two and eventually failed entirely. I then tried a two-part metal epoxy approach that worked for a few months until I dropped the tool and it shattered right off. I tried reapplying it and a few weeks later it popped loose in my pocket. Gun shy from my bad luck losing a Skeletool and the aforementioned Surge to pocket clip calamities, I knew I needed a better solution. I settled on the RAE Gear tactical sheath due to its inconspicuous design and lack of velcro/snaps/flaps. It also has a cool feature where if you pull the tool straight out of the sheath, the frame has a cutout that catches the locking slide on the CD and deploys the pliers as you pull. If you give the tool a slight twist as you pull it out, the pliers stay in place. Pretty clever. There are times where I still lament the lack of pocket clip for a more discrete carry as the RAE sheath's metal frame has occasionally snagged on clothing or scraped up against things. I'm tempted to look into the clip mod I saw above as an option.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the CD+ and find myself flicking the pliers open as a fidget all the time. It's a nice outlet for all the tension/nervous energy I'm sure a lot of us are feeling right now :ahhh . So anyway, this is my Center Drive(+). There are many like it, but this one is mine.  :multi:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #405 on: April 15, 2020, 12:06:42 AM
They're put together like a GI 45, but they definitely get the job done.  I love mine!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #406 on: April 25, 2020, 12:28:08 PM
 :2tu:
IMG_20200423_182111.jpg
* IMG_20200423_182111.jpg (Filesize: 172.94 KB)
Barry

Offline cat2024

Reply #407 on: July 23, 2020, 07:50:41 PM
New to the Center Drive club. I'm coming from a Leatherman OHT I used for years to my newly acquired CD. I got a smoking deal on it new. I'm curious where to find scissors for it to replace the serrated knife. Also, is there a special tool to take it apart?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #408 on: July 24, 2020, 04:14:37 PM
Only the center drive scissors will fit the center drive, unfortunately. There are some scissors from outside-opening tools like the that can be modified to fit (the mp800 I think?). I replaced the serrated blade and awl with a remgrit saw holder, and have been quite happy with that setup.

Also be careful with the pry tool, it's not as robust as you hope it will be.

You can get tools to take it apart, but I find a file set of needle nosed gripped tightly in the indentations works fine. Hit it with a torch for a few seconds to loosen the locktite - but be careful not to melt the unlock slider.

Charles.

au Offline Berserker26

• New User
Reply #409 on: August 10, 2020, 02:08:17 AM
Hi All am new to the forum and new to the MultiTool game. Picked up a CD yesterday and the thing is massive and awesome. The last MT I had was years ago, maybe 15, that my parents gave me and was a really small pocket knife I think by Victorinox so this CD is a huge upgrade. Am loving the pictures you are all posting too. I had 2 questions maybe other users could answer?

1 - How does everybody sharpen their MT Blade? Is there a simple/cheap solution that is like a tool you just run it through rather than putting on a wetstone/grinder?
2 - My Pliers don't fully close unless I unfold the extra bit holder out. Is this normal? It feels like it shouldn't be normal, thought I would ask before taking it back to the shop.

Thanks! I will take photo's soon!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #410 on: August 10, 2020, 04:42:15 PM
Hi All am new to the forum and new to the MultiTool game. Picked up a CD yesterday and the thing is massive and awesome. The last MT I had was years ago, maybe 15, that my parents gave me and was a really small pocket knife I think by Victorinox so this CD is a huge upgrade. Am loving the pictures you are all posting too. I had 2 questions maybe other users could answer?

1 - How does everybody sharpen their MT Blade? Is there a simple/cheap solution that is like a tool you just run it through rather than putting on a wetstone/grinder?
2 - My Pliers don't fully close unless I unfold the extra bit holder out. Is this normal? It feels like it shouldn't be normal, thought I would ask before taking it back to the shop.

Thanks! I will take photo's soon!

That thing with the pliers sounds like a quality control failure. I'd probably go ahead and get an exchange.
As for sharpening, one of the easiest and most effective systems that doesn't cost a fortune is a Lansky turnbox. Pull-through sharpeners are terrible and I'd never recommend one. The turnbox only requires a tiny bit more skill and doesn't ruin your blades. Plus they're available for $15-20.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #411 on: August 10, 2020, 09:08:02 PM
 :iagree:. Gerber is generally very quick to replace tools.
Barry

au Offline Berserker26

• New User
Reply #412 on: August 11, 2020, 05:02:51 AM
That thing with the pliers sounds like a quality control failure. I'd probably go ahead and get an exchange.
As for sharpening, one of the easiest and most effective systems that doesn't cost a fortune is a Lansky turnbox. Pull-through sharpeners are terrible and I'd never recommend one. The turnbox only requires a tiny bit more skill and doesn't ruin your blades. Plus they're available for $15-20.

Thanks very much for your help - I was looking through the previous posts and it seems that some other users had the pliers issue, one guy above had posted a video of his as well. I thought it might have been a 'design flaw'. Having said that you and the post below yours elude to it being a fault, so perhaps I'll take it back and get another.

Good to know about that sharpening device, I will go watch some video's on it now :-)

au Offline Berserker26

• New User
Reply #413 on: August 12, 2020, 02:37:46 AM
Well it was short lived friends :-(

As can see above I took my CD back into the shop yesterday and they confirmed it didn't look right, the pliers do not close until you pull out the bit holder. They went and got me another one and we opened it before I went home with it, the pliers did close but they didn't line up. The top piece closes down off-centre to the bottom piece by a few mm. The tool guy at the shop says 'well that's not right...how much are these??' I said $160. He said for that price they'd want to be perfect. So he goes and gets a third pair, opens them and the plier head was more offline than the previous pair....they didn't have any more there to check so I've decided to give them back and get a refund

FML

So now I'm in an annoying spot. This thing has the tools I want and I love the look of it, but the QC is just no good and I'm a bit worried about trying to get another one because now my opinion of them is so soured that I don't know if I could.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #414 on: August 12, 2020, 10:27:56 AM
Well it was short lived friends :-(

As can see above I took my CD back into the shop yesterday and they confirmed it didn't look right, the pliers do not close until you pull out the bit holder. They went and got me another one and we opened it before I went home with it, the pliers did close but they didn't line up. The top piece closes down off-centre to the bottom piece by a few mm. The tool guy at the shop says 'well that's not right...how much are these??' I said $160. He said for that price they'd want to be perfect. So he goes and gets a third pair, opens them and the plier head was more offline than the previous pair....they didn't have any more there to check so I've decided to give them back and get a refund

FML

So now I'm in an annoying spot. This thing has the tools I want and I love the look of it, but the QC is just no good and I'm a bit worried about trying to get another one because now my opinion of them is so soured that I don't know if I could.
You should try find one in ebay or other similar place to get it much cheaper. Only bad thing about CD is cutters. Otherwise tool is great, tolerances arent best but while it works better on dirty jobs than other tools higher tolerances.

Only Tools Matters

Offline cat2024

Reply #415 on: August 12, 2020, 02:11:40 PM
You should try find one in ebay or other similar place to get it much cheaper. Only bad thing about CD is cutters. Otherwise tool is great, tolerances arent best but while it works better on dirty jobs than other tools higher tolerances.

Only Tools Matters
Yes I snagged my CD for 45$ new on eBay. My pliers are offset to but not a big deal on a 45$ tool. They are accurate enough and I love the tool so far.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #416 on: August 15, 2020, 02:24:52 AM
 :iagree:. When they first came out it was tough to find them, but not so now.  Jump on the Bay and pick up a good one for a good price.  They're terrific tools.
Barry

Offline MTSebastian

Reply #417 on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:19 PM
As of today I am also the proud owner of a CD.  It's a very different feeling than an MP600 or a Leatherman. 
I have to honestly say, I like it very much! The spring loading of the pliers is simply easier to handle for me. 
Now I'm still thinking about installing the T-Shaft mount from the MP600. 
Let's see

Gesendet von meinem SM-A600FN mit Tapatalk

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #418 on: August 15, 2020, 10:52:45 PM
Congrats!!  :like: :like:
Barry

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #419 on: August 16, 2020, 12:30:59 AM
Quote from: MTSebastian link=topic=71930.msg2153914#msg2153914 [b
[/b]date=1597521019]
As of today I am also the proud owner of a CD. It's a very different feeling than an MP600 or a Leatherman. 
I have to honestly say, I like it very much! The spring loading of the pliers is simply easier to handle for me. 
Now I'm still thinking about installing the T-Shaft mount from the MP600. 
Let's see (Image removed from quote.)

Gesendet von meinem SM-A600FN mit Tapatalk

Congrats on your newest acquisition  :tu: and...
... DO IT!!!!!   >:D :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD