Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Never used a Leatherman, here we go.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Never used a Leatherman, here we go.
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 03:50:31 PM
Hi Corky,

I carry a 2002 Micra on my keychain. I do so because then I know, no matter which Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife I have with me, I will still have scissors. And a damn fine set of scissors at that. Not a bad set of drivers. I've used the nail file while waiting in line or after smurfing up my fingers after working on the truck or whatever. The tweezers work well for removing any nasty ticks from the dog.

You could drop that thing from your hand onto the sidewalk once an hour, all day, every day for a week with little damage. Do that just a couple of times with a SAK, and you will have some shattered cellidor.

If only there was a Micra with a small plyers instead of scissors...oh wait! - and all hail the PS4! I love that one too, even though the scissors are small. But the plyers are ssoooo handy for their size. Far better than those on the Tinker Deluxe.

Personally, I find the Classic to be a very weak tool. The blade has very little belly and seems flimsy compared to the Micra or PS4. I keep the Classic on my dog's collar as an absolute last resort when hiking.

And I'm not here to bash SAKs. I have almost as many SAKs as I have Leathermans. A third of my SAKs have cork screws. Love my SAKs, and have carried a genuine SAK since the lat 80's. I just think that Leatherman is generally more durable, with no "snap-on" , shatter-able scales. As such, their keychain tools are better, in my book.

To me, SAKs are better as pocket tools. Most of the damage I did to my Super Tinker came about as a result of having it attached to my keychain and dropping it. Granted that was from a height of about three stories and then it got run over by a truck, but with my Tinker Deluxe, it never fell from a distance of more than three or four feet, but it only took a couple of spills from that short height (attacked to my keys) before I had chunks and chips missing from the scales.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 05:08:00 PM

You could drop that thing from your hand onto the sidewalk once an hour, all day, every day for a week with little damage. Do that just a couple of times with a SAK, and you will have some shattered cellidor.

A third of my SAKs have cork screws.

I also prefer Micras, PS4, Dimes and metallic keychain tools for their added durability, as they always are hitting stuff, banging against the keys and I've dropped my keychain more than once.
SAKs are also better in the pocket for me, and those Leathermans are sturdy as a rock   :salute:

the Corkscrew thing was just quote-worthy    :rofl: :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:41 PM
Thanks Thundah!

You're right about the cellidor scales, and I definitely agree that SAKs are more of a pocket/gentleman's tool than a bona fide Leatherman style multi tool... but then again I've heard a lot of good things about the the Swiss Spirit and other Vic MT's.    I do like my little Micra

Some of the things I really enjoy about the cellidor scales are the non-threatening appearance, interchangeability, and the fact that they can sport a pen, tweezers, toothpick, a digital display, straight pin, and LED light... but like you said, compared to a stainless steel exoskeleton construction, they are on the fragile side...

Have you tried any alox SAKs?  I've dropped pioneers/ soldiers/ farmers/ cadets plenty of times and they're pretty darn tough.... Just don't drop them with the tools open!!!  I've bent the tip of an awl this way.  :rant: >:(

I don't know if it's the spring in my Micra but I do prefer Vic scissors feel and spring action, even the 58mm.  I think the 58mm models are great and in my view mostly just intended for things like opening packages, trimming your nails etc.    That's awesome that you keep one on your dog's collar! 

:cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 02:17:13 AM

A third of my SAKs have cork screws.

I also prefer Micras, PS4, Dimes and metallic keychain tools for their added durability, as they always are hitting stuff, banging against the keys and I've dropped my keychain more than once.
SAKs are also better in the pocket for me, and those Leathermans are sturdy as a rock   :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)

the Corkscrew thing was just quote-worthy    :rofl: :rofl:

Ha. Of everything I've ever said...THAT'S the thing that's quote-worthy. Gotta love it.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 02:38:00 AM
Thanks Thundah!

You're right about the cellidor scales, and I definitely agree that SAKs are more of a pocket/gentleman's tool than a bona fide Leatherman style multi tool... but then again I've heard a lot of good things about the the Swiss Spirit and other Vic MT's.    I do like my little Micra

Some of the things I really enjoy about the cellidor scales are the non-threatening appearance, interchangeability, and the fact that they can sport a pen, tweezers, toothpick, a digital display, straight pin, and LED light... but like you said, compared to a stainless steel exoskeleton construction, they are on the fragile side...

Have you tried any alox SAKs?  I've dropped pioneers/ soldiers/ farmers/ cadets plenty of times and they're pretty darn tough.... Just don't drop them with the tools open!!!  I've bent the tip of an awl this way.  :rant: >:(

I don't know if it's the spring in my Micra but I do prefer Vic scissors feel and spring action, even the 58mm.  I think the 58mm models are great and in my view mostly just intended for things like opening packages, trimming your nails etc.    That's awesome that you keep one on your dog's collar! 

Agreed that SAK cellidor is very non-threatening to people. It as a known, renowned "boy scout" knife for generations. Trusted and accepted. But yes, the handles are fragile. Leatherman is simply a more rough and tumble tool. I often thought I would just continue using my Super Tinker without the ABS scales, and just the outer layer metal, a la Leatherman. I wish SAK would make one with scales like that! Frankly, I have no use for scales with LED lights or electronic display.

That's when I did some research and discovered Alox. I have never owned an Alox model but plan to in time. I'm surprised they don't offer back spring tools on Alox models

But one of these days

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 02:44:04 AM
Thanks Thundah!

Agreed that SAK cellidor is very non-threatening to people. It as a known, renowned "boy scout" knife for generations. Trusted and accepted. But yes, the handles are fragile. Leatherman is simply a more rough and tumble tool. I often thought I would just continue using my Super Tinker without the ABS scales, and just the outer layer metal, a la Leatherman. I wish SAK would make one with scales like that! Frankly, I have no use for scales with LED lights or electronic display.

That's when I did some research and discovered Alox. I have never owned an Alox model but plan to in time. I'm surprised they don't offer back spring tools on Alox models

But one of these days

I've got another set of 3d printed scales that Sir Anonemus gifted me.  I'd be glad to send them your way... They're tough as nails!  Shoot me a pm  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 04:09:09 AM
El Corky,

Thank you so much to the offer, however, fortunately I purchased some other Vic scales and the old Super Tinker is back to her old self.

Then I bought a Camper II, and the nylon scales were impressive.

Come to think of it, I may just take you up on that.

Didn't you have other stuff in the for sale room?

00 Offline Penfold

Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 02:48:58 PM
I've had a LM micro on my keyring for over 15 years. Confess I'm now on my second after foolishly snapping the flat screwdriver prizing off a paint tin. Much to my surprise LM (Whitby knives in UK) replaced it without question. Fantastic warranty. Does get occasional spots of rust but easy to clean and maintain. Incredibly useful item. The chisel grind  maintains a good edged and is easily sharpened. :2tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 10:18:30 PM
I've had a LM micro on my keyring for over 15 years. Confess I'm now on my second after foolishly snapping the flat screwdriver prizing off a paint tin.
Ahh, you Pabloed it.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 10:22:08 PM
I've had a LM micro on my keyring for over 15 years. Confess I'm now on my second after foolishly snapping the flat screwdriver prizing off a paint tin.
Ahh, you Pabloed it.
+1...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24