Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Aegis MT

Offline mansedan

SOG Aegis MT
on: March 21, 2023, 05:22:14 PM
https://sogknives.com/aegis-mt-black-moss/

A new SOG tool has been released, and I have questions.  It's fifty bucks which seems fair given todays market, but...
Why does it have both needle nose pliers and tweezers?
The webpage says the blade is assisted but it doesn’t have any studs or tabs, only a nail nick, and I don’t see any mechanism.
It says it has a bottle opener but doesn’t show one.
The photos all seem to be from the same side of the tool, so maybe there’s something on the other side?
Maybe I'm missing something here, maybe the tool would be good for fishing or something?

I'm really curious, maybe against my better judgement, but I'm hoping someone else here or on YouTube gets a look at one before I get one.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:05:57 PM by mansedan »

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Re: SOG Aegis MT
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 06:14:47 PM
Ever tried delicately plucking a loose eyelash from someone's eye with a pair of big clompy pliers?
Needlenose is for fine application of high force. Tweezers are for very fine application of delicate force.

Assisted opening looks to mean an extended cut-out for the thumb, maybe to push the blade open?
Bottle opener is..... not apparent.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 07:23:57 PM
Maybe the hook on the non-knife handle near the plyers?

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 11:52:36 AM
     After seeing this tool handled on the Shot Show 2023 videos it would appear to me that the assisted opening may be referring to the pliers and not the knife blade.  I think the pliers are spring loaded.  when opening the blade on at least two videos it opened just like a standard pocket knife.  the back of the pliers are the only thing I can see that you might use for a bottle opener.  Maybe someone on youtube will get a close up video for us.  I did notice on one of the websites the price was listed backwards.  It showed 94 but when in stock was changed to 49.  Hope this is of some help

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 08:22:48 PM
As long as this thing doesn't shoot open like the V3 Micro Toolclip did (which is why I eventually bought the V1 TWICE), I'm all over it. I think it could be a really solid little tool.

HOWEVER, the lack of drivers is disappointing. Instead of adding the bottle opener to the inside of the pliers, it could've been given a bit driver under the pivot similar to most of the larger things like the PowerAccess and Power Pint, or a small fold-out driver/bottle opener. That being said, I'm waiting until it goes on sale closer to $30-35 before I buy one. I think this easily could be a good around-the-house tool.

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:15:27 PM
After handling the SOG Aegis MT I was struck with what is it?  Probably the closest thing it reminds me of is a miniature fly fishing tool?  Tweezers seem to be heavy duty.  The pliers work good but one side becomes flat 1/4 of the way down the other side has grooves to grip the whole way down.  The cutters work really well.  The knife is unassisted 440 and has no lock.  Perhaps this tool is also aimed at the European market.  The bottle opener I never use, but it has one.  At around 3" long and 2.4 oz in weight it is tiny!  Still not sure the niche it needs to fill.  But it's a nice tool.

Offline mansedan

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 08:12:09 PM
I ordered one, because of course I did. I like the weirder multitools anyway and, with my vet discount, the price was much easier to swallow.

If nothing else the Aegis MT is unique. I suppose the build quality is pretty good, and the knife blade does have a nice feel to its action. There is in fact no assisted mechanism for the blade, that’s got to be chalked up to poor copy on SOGs part. I did find out you can pinch a Leatherman flat bit between the plierheads, where their other tools fit a 1/4 driver, but I haven’t found any spot to squeeze it in for storing. Anyway here’s a photo comparing its blade to a Victorinox Climber.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 12:32:08 AM
Anyway here’s a photo comparing its blade to a Victorinox Climber.
Stuff the blade... where's this mysterious flippin' bottle opener??!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%