Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alone season 7 - 100 day challenge

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Alone season 7 - 100 day challenge
on: June 20, 2020, 02:46:45 PM
Season 7 is again set in Northern Canada With a new twist, $1,000,000 price if you survive 100 days.

To date there have been two episodes aired. 

First to tap, did so on day 10.

Anyone else have watched?
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline styx

Re: Alone season 7 - 100 day challenge
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 05:53:58 PM
didn't even know it was starting. thanks
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:57:48 PM
Seems like an interesting bunch of people. And bears, wolverines and a wolf pack.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:46 PM
Wife and I love the show.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 07:38:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:09:38 AM
I am sorry for not visiting more often.

As of last episode seen, 3 of 10 have tapped, 1 due to loosing his ferro rod, another injured his knee, and another became ill.

Have seen good axe work on partially assembled shelter, clay pots and use in building fire chimney. Lots of fish, a Musk Ox taken down and butchered. Lots of Wolverines, bears and wolves making regular appearances.

Interesting season to this point at about day 34. 

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 04:23:26 PM
i find it interesting that a lot of people have chosen a MT over a knife

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 06:50:03 PM
A MT is very capable at skinning and cutting down game.

On another reality show I enjoy “The Last Alaskans”, Heimo Korth, the Last Frontiersman, Has a ST300 on his belt. Has dressed out a Moose, a Caribu, removes lid off of storage barrels, etc.

Hope yours is as good!

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 01:02:05 PM
I've been really enjoying this season, it's probably the best I've seen so far (I've only seen a few though) and the choices of tools has certainly surprised me. One of the contestants (a marine) took a Leatherman tool and a hatchet, with the intention of snapping the Leathermans file to use as a sharpening stone, weird thing was it looked like a model with one of those swappable files  :think:

I'm very curious if they get provided with their ten items (and they just have the option of taking personal ones, since some most definitely are) and if they get to keep them, or if they need to provide their own items. There's a lot of variance in things like sleeping bags, Leatherman models, fixed blades etc.

This is also the third time I've seen someone lose a Ferro rod and it begs the question why they aren't wearing them around their necks or lashing them to their pants  :facepalm:

Food for thought though, if you can pick your Leatherman model, and pick the Signal... do they let you keep the small ferro rod and sharpening stone that comes as part of it? The Wave has better tools for this (imo) but that would be a strong point for the Signal...
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 01:16:49 PM
A MT is very capable at skinning and cutting down game.

On another reality show I enjoy “The Last Alaskans”, Heimo Korth, the Last Frontiersman, Has a ST300 on his belt. Has dressed out a Moose, a Caribu, removes lid off of storage barrels, etc.

ohhh so another show i should check out

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 05:40:51 PM
ohhh so another show i should check out
“Life Below Zero” is another show that follows families and individuals near the Artic Circle that live primarily off the land.

Also, Korth’s  story, from about 18 yrs old till around 2015 is documented in a book name the “Last Frontiersman”.  It provides a great back story to his accomplishments and why to live in NE Alaska, as well as his wife, family and even his youngest daughter who is the real deal, know teaching her husband a former marine about trapping and living in the wild with their son.

Filming was halted in late 2018 for reasons Unknown.

Hope yours is as good!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:22:08 PM
I'm still waiting for any of the participants to stockpile some greenery, bushes and berries before the snow hits. That should be easy to do. After the snow covers everything placing greenery in suitable places attract animals like water holes do in a desert. (Over here birds, hares, reindeer and elks tend to appreciate any such easy meals).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 10:28:22 PM
I'm still waiting for any of the participants to stockpile some greenery, bushes and berries before the snow hits. That should be easy to do. After the snow covers everything placing greenery in suitable places attract animals like water holes do in a desert. (Over here birds, hares, reindeer and elks tend to appreciate any such easy meals).

I don't know if you're up to date or not, but one contestant began stockpiling berries and fire root fairly early on because of a lack of food sources.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:35:49 AM
I don't know if you're up to date or not, but one contestant began stockpiling berries and fire root fairly early on because of a lack of food sources.
Yes, Roland built a root cellar just outside his stone shelter and explained the purpose of the fire root harvest.

Hope yours is as good!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 12:51:15 PM

But with the intention of using it him/ herself or as bait? Either way there is the option at least. We will see I guess! Very nice season so far.  :cheers:

My grandfather used to dry some grass for the hares in the winter. Not for hunting, just for the added action by the house. He always attracted a steady crowd with fairly little grass. And some generations of an elk family use to come every winter and stay by the house for a week or so to chew on some particular berries and bushes. (Luckily they are quite calm and docile animals - I don't want to run into a mean animal that size. Horses with horns :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 01:40:41 PM
But with the intention of using it him/ herself or as bait? Either way there is the option at least. We will see I guess! Very nice season so far.  :cheers:

My grandfather used to dry some grass for the hares in the winter. Not for hunting, just for the added action by the house. He always attracted a steady crowd with fairly little grass. And some generations of an elk family use to come every winter and stay by the house for a week or so to chew on some particular berries and bushes. (Luckily they are quite calm and docile animals - I don't want to run into a mean animal that size. Horses with horns :)

I believe it was for himself to use (he said something along the lines of "If I have to I'll just dig up 100lbs of Fire root and live off that all winter"). Though with how things tunred out this week he doesn't really need it at the moment!

That sounds really cool, we don't really get winters that cold in the UK but animals coming that close to the house sounds like an awesome experience!

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 01:49:09 PM
“Life Below Zero” is another show that follows families and individuals near the Artic Circle that live primarily off the land.

Also, Korth’s  story, from about 18 yrs old till around 2015 is documented in a book name the “Last Frontiersman”.  It provides a great back story to his accomplishments and why to live in NE Alaska, as well as his wife, family and even his youngest daughter who is the real deal, know teaching her husband a former marine about trapping and living in the wild with their son.

Filming was halted in late 2018 for reasons Unknown.

looks like i got my plans for the weekend settled

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 05:10:32 PM
That sounds really cool, we don't really get winters that cold in the UK but animals coming that close to the house sounds like an awesome experience!

The most interactive ones I've had here were two half tame stouts. Gone by now, but they stayed for two-three years. Hyper energetic while awake, but sleeps 18 hours a day or so. The energy and movements reminded me a lot of that Scrat charachter in the Ice Age movies!

One was actually near sighted which was kind of a funny twist as she would always come up real close to check you out - to the point of actually stepping on you.

These days the tamest thing is a bird that comes flying into the workshop now and then. It happily accepts me banging about, but disapproves of the air compressor. And if I'm plasma cutting it takes off real quick - might be the sharp light or the smells I guess.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 01:06:54 AM
Just watched the last episode, and what do I see? A stoat/ short tailed weasel being ever so curious and opportunistic. Nice that she did not kill it. They are quite useful as small rodents and mice will keep well away from her place. On the other hand some have a knack for running off with various stuff..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:18:15 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 02:39:14 AM
Just watched the last episode, and what do I see? A stoat/ short tailed weasel being ever so curious and opportunistic. Nice that she did not kill it. They are quite useful as small rodents and mice will keep well away from her place. On the other hand some have a knack for running off with various stuff..

A very big coincidence in an episode with a lot of karma themes!

This episode had a lot of ups and downs, it's a shame we lost Joel, he was funny and it was interesting to see the things he was crafting. It seems that everything that Roland builds is extremely durable and well constructed.

It was devastating when Mark's shelter caught light at the end, and at night too, I'm curious to see how that set back will affect him, he was having such a good day for it to come crashing down.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 01:12:43 AM
It was devastating when Mark's shelter caught light at the end, and at night too, I'm curious to see how that set back will affect him, he was having such a good day for it to come crashing down.

Hopefully he could rip off the burning stuff before everything was gone, but that looked bad.

Maybe he went all eskimo and scraped together enough snow to build an igloo. That would be seriously watchable. :popcorn:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 01:39:13 AM
At 44 day point and 4 are left!

Lake has not frozen and it was shown to be around Oct 31 or about. 

It was noted that participants were deployed mid September. 

Cold is not far off.  Lake will freeze, fish not as easy to net. 

100 days, will it happen?

Hope yours is as good!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 03:29:16 AM
Cold is not far off.  Lake will freeze, fish not as easy to net. 

100 days, will it happen?

On the positive side a frozen lake makes it possible to fish far from land. That tends to be a cold and patience testing way of fishing though.

100 days from mid September should bring them to just about years end. If temperatures are anything like here the coldest part of the year is around January so they might avoid the worst cold.

The ones that are left seem to be doing ok, so I do think someone will make it. Who might come down to a bit of happenstance? Accidents and unlucky eating could happen to anyone I think.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 05:35:52 AM
I was very surprised that we got two taps tonight, but judging by how bad Mark's health had gotten it was certainly for the best.

As for 100 days, to be honest I'm a little doubtful we'll get anyone that far, most are taking it almost day by day, no significant stockpile of food.

The excpetion to this of course is Roland, between having the Musk Ox kill, his roots/berries and having arguably the best shelter by far, he's in the strongest position to take it the distance.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%