Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OUTU Tool, cheap in price, not in quality!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
OUTU Tool, cheap in price, not in quality!
on: May 31, 2017, 04:20:53 PM
After months undecided, curiosity beat me and I finally got an OUTU Multitool.
I loved the concept and the design and decided to risk it with this unknown Chinese brand.

Couldn't be more satisfied, TBH. Quality is definitely there, the implements work as intended and I have little to complain about, especially for $15.

It's Skeletool sized, similar feel in hand, but its toolset results more complete as it adds the so-needed Scissors and File to the four Skele functions (Blade, Pliers, Flathead, Phillips).
The pocket clip is a big plus, every bit as good as the Skeletool's.

All tools are easily accessible, and the pliers unfold to show either a pair of jaws or a pair f scissor blades. These are big size, like shears, and similar to the Wingman's but bigger and noticeably stronger. You won't be doing tiny-SAK-scissors precision jobs with these, this is a heavy duty cutting implement.

The plier head and wire cutters feel sturdy and solid, much like the Skeletool's, but it is also obvious here that they are made for light to medium duty tasks and won't take much torque.

Blade is non-locking and not one-handed opening, but doesn't have the so criticised partial serrations like the leatherman tool, and is just as sharp. Great for UK laws and restricted blade places, or sites where you can't have a locking knife.

What puts this tool above the Skeletool to me is the scissors and the excellent drivers, both flathead and Phillips are integrated as solid pieces of the tool and as clever as the double sided swappable bits are, this system allows for stronger torque, better reach and the impossibility of losing the bits or small pieces.

Rides nice and tight in the pocket, clipped and riding low in profile.
All in all, my scepticism has been proven unfounded and it's an incredible buy for the price, a capable tool and a versatile gadget to carry every day or have in the work shop, car, etc.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

it Offline Mini

Re: OUTU Tool, cheap in price, not in quality!
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:10:06 PM
It's an interesting multitool, thanks for your impressions 👍

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:24:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. Just picked one for $12 shipped and I too like the scissors very much. Overall build quality more than adequate for a $12 MT. Only complaint is the file.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:21:31 AM
Thanks for the tip. Just picked one for $12 shipped and I too like the scissors very much. Overall build quality more than adequate for a $12 MT. Only complaint is the file.

$12 sipped is a bargain !  Where did you find them at that price ?  The Schrade badged version usually goes for $30 + shipping.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:27:05 PM
After some weeks with it I'd definitely pay $30 for it.
Much, much more surprising than I thought!!!

Really like it   :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:37:02 AM
From eBay. Seller is in New York and tool is brand new in box. Just checked and it seems that there are still some more available.

$12 sipped is a bargain !  Where did you find them at that price ?  The Schrade badged version usually goes for $30 + shipping.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:02:52 AM
When I reviewed the Schrade ST11 I felt the same way about this tool. Affordable, nice design that's not stolen from another company and pretty solid for the price.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:03:32 AM
   I just got one of these under the name  "Yocoo" for $20.00 on Amazon. There is no brand markings on the tool itself. I am also surprised at its quality! The blade came very sharp and that is very unusual in an off brand tool. The scissors are also very sharp, and they came lubricated. I just tested them on some thick paper and a padded envelope and they cut right through them.  It opens pretty smoothly and the Philips driver works great! I have not tried the flat head driver, but it looks like it would do OK as long as you did not put too much torque on it.  The handle it is on looks a bit thin. It is very "Skeletoolish", and seems like a great light duty tool for the dollar!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 03:21:15 AM
When I reviewed the Schrade ST11 I felt the same way about this tool. Affordable, nice design that's not stolen from another company and pretty solid for the price.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wasn't this design stolen from MTo though?  ???

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 12:08:05 PM
   I just got one of these under the name  "Yocoo" for $20.00 on Amazon. There is no brand markings on the tool itself. I am also surprised at its quality! The blade came very sharp and that is very unusual in an off brand tool. The scissors are also very sharp, and they came lubricated. I just tested them on some thick paper and a padded envelope and they cut right through them.  It opens pretty smoothly and the Philips driver works great! I have not tried the flat head driver, but it looks like it would do OK as long as you did not put too much torque on it.  The handle it is on looks a bit thin. It is very "Skeletoolish", and seems like a great light duty tool for the dollar!

Also surprised by the sharpness of scissors and blade, having tested so many Chinese multitools. A nice odd one!   :tu:
My toys:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 12:26:48 PM
Another thread ruined by PB...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:11:42 PM
Another thread ruined by PB...

well I can post some other pics!   :salute:

I carry it a lot!

My toys:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 03:42:10 PM
Can these still be found on ebay? I can't seem to find them...  :ahhh
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 04:28:49 PM
Can these still be found on ebay? I can't seem to find them...  :ahhh

Here's an OUTU  listing on US ebay  $11.99 with free US shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272000306379
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 05:04:24 PM
What did you put in to the search? OUTU pliers multitool and such still produces no hits for me. Though I can follow your link with no problem (though the seller won't ship to my neck of the woods). What kind of arcane black magic is this!?!  :ahhh

:D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:10:16 PM by lister »

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 06:05:26 PM
What did you put in to the search? OUTU pliers multitool and such still produces no hits for me. Though I can follow your link with no problem (though the seller won't ship to my neck of the woods). What kind of arcane black magic is this!?!  :ahhh

:D

IIRC I just searched on outu multi tool

The seller has probably blocked your country so you can't see it.  I have both Australian and US addresses linked to my ebay account (sometimes I have to switch whichever is my "primary address" to enable me to send questions or pay)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 09:34:36 PM
I need one so bad...  :(
Well, two, since they're so inexpensive. One for the collection, one for edc. Hell, and a couple more for gifts, why not. It looks yummy.  :drool:

How about we get a middleman to buy a bunch and forward it here?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:36:05 PM by ReamerPunch »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 03:56:20 PM
I need one or two. But no luck. No one is willing to ship one to our part of the world. And that is just not right!  :ahhh

:rofl:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 11:36:02 PM
Just get it direct from China - they ship pretty much anywhere. It was on sale there long before it started showing up in the west under various brands, so most likely originated there anyway. Should be around USD 18-20 shipping included.

Search for terms like "multi tool plier scissor knife" - should popup easily enough among other stuff.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:38:14 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:57 PM
Maybe these should be available in the mto store?  :whistle:

Along with the Benchmark multi-tool Chako has.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 03:10:13 PM
if they were in the store I might buy another one... :whistle:

My toys:

Offline ozarkcajun

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 06:11:19 PM
Bought one of these on ebay for $11.99, and it's GREAT. Combines the need for pliers and scissors, and I like the longer screwdrivers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTU-Versatile-8-Multi-Purpose-Pliers-Cutter-Knife-Screwdriver-Set-Camping-Tools/272000306379?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 09:46:06 AM
You may find them in a popular site as CTSmart Multi-use Pliers.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
It looks to me like a "proof of concept" prototype, that the R&D team haven't decided how to make properly yet  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline tommywp

Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 05:44:44 PM
What's the file like? Better suited for fingernails or metal? Does it have a metal saw? Is there a leatherman file that it's similar to?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:46 PM
Imagine this design with LM quality, liner lock blade and file (or saw?), and two bit drivers instead of fixed drivers.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:35 PM
Imagine this design with LM quality, liner lock blade and file (or saw?), and two bit drivers instead of fixed drivers.

You lost me at LM quality  :facepalm:

us Offline aluminated

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 12:09:38 AM

Gotta wonder when you're gonna put that bone away.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 12:13:46 AM

Gotta wonder when you're gonna put that bone away.
As soon as they get their act together :2tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24