Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rabbit hole - EDC light

Zephon · 105 · 9122

ph Offline Zephon

Re: Rabbit hole - EDC light
Reply #90 on: August 23, 2022, 02:51:16 AM
Nice light!

What do you mean by an always on aux light btw?

Something like what these guys have. They’re all Anduril 2 lights though. The SC31 and TS21 have theirs on the power button, the TS10 has it on the business end. I find it very useful when stumbling through the dark looking for a flashlight.

From what I’ve read, the drain isn’t that bad as long as the aux light is either on ‘low’ or in ‘blink’.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: August 23, 2022, 12:25:56 PM
Something like what these guys have. They’re all Anduril 2 lights though. The SC31 and TS21 have theirs on the power button, the TS10 has it on the business end. I find it very useful when stumbling through the dark looking for a flashlight.

My larger camping/EDC lights all get GITD fobs or lanyards.  This doesn’t put out much light, but it’s enough to locate the flashlight in a dark tent or hotel room with eyes adjusted to the dark.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: August 23, 2022, 08:32:46 PM

From what I’ve read, the drain isn’t that bad as long as the aux light is either on ‘low’ or in ‘blink’.

Ohhh, I'm actually the opposite, I hate lights like that because I don't like any degree of drain that I could otherwise avoid. I can see the value of it if you're trying to find a light in a bag in the dark or something though.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #93 on: August 24, 2022, 12:46:16 AM
Ohhh, I'm actually the opposite, I hate lights like that because I don't like any degree of drain that I could otherwise avoid. I can see the value of it if you're trying to find a light in a bag in the dark or something though.
The forum favourite Lumintop Tool AA has the same thing, in that the tail switch illuminates. Very useful for when it catches on your pocket edge, or your hands are slippery and you drop it in the dark, or something.
Drain is eliminated by unscrewing the tailcap a half turn when you know you won't be using it immediately... although user tests suggest that you'd need it on 24/7 for about 3 weeks before the battery is drained to the point where only the lowest mode is available.

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: August 24, 2022, 01:32:12 AM
The forum favourite Lumintop Tool AA has the same thing, in that the tail switch illuminates. Very useful for when it catches on your pocket edge, or your hands are slippery and you drop it in the dark, or something.
Drain is eliminated by unscrewing the tailcap a half turn when you know you won't be using it immediately... although user tests suggest that you'd need it on 24/7 for about 3 weeks before the battery is drained to the point where only the lowest mode is available.

Oh I'm familiar with it, but it's only on the newer versions and when you use 14500s. I have two Tool AA 2.0s, the one I use a 14500 in doesn't have that light (I was initially confused when people talked about it) and in the one I recently got on here for a bargain I just use a NiMH AA. There's also a very, very slight difference in their build that I can't explain, like the ano process was changed and the button material is different.

I do the partial turn method with my other lights though (GT Nano, GT Mini, D2) because I rotate through lights so frequently and always want them to be charged when I grab them.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #95 on: August 24, 2022, 04:35:45 AM
Oh I'm familiar with it, but it's only on the newer versions and when you use 14500s. I have two Tool AA 2.0s, the one I use a 14500 in doesn't have that light (I was initially confused when people talked about it) and in the one I recently got on here for a bargain I just use a NiMH AA. There's also a very, very slight difference in their build that I can't explain, like the ano process was changed and the button material is different.

I do the partial turn method with my other lights though (GT Nano, GT Mini, D2) because I rotate through lights so frequently and always want them to be charged when I grab them.

I have yet to try the ‘partial turn’ storage method on my Sofirn lights — which bring me back to my preference of having a visible aux light. 

My potential scenario is: If the aux light isn’t ON then it’s possible I need to turn the tail cap prior to use.  (If it’s blinking, it’s ‘Locked’, if ‘ON’ low, I can use it, if ‘ON’ high….someone played with them lol).  This would be the case EXCEPT for the 10440 Lumintop Frog and Nano. 

From what people have tested, I guess a little drain on something larger than a 14500 battery isn’t that bad.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #96 on: August 24, 2022, 09:35:36 PM
My potential scenario is: If the aux light isn’t ON then it’s possible I need to turn the tail cap prior to use.
The way I run it is to only turn the tailcap to On when it goes in my pocket. I wouldn't need to use it otherwise, and if it's in rotation it gets a charge check at least once a week... more if I've actually used it to any notable degree.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #97 on: August 30, 2022, 10:25:59 AM
“It’s all about the pocket clips”

Here’s my ‘weird’ IF25A — it’s a warranty piece meant to replace a defective one I initially got.  Based on how it behaves, it feels like it’s a TS21 with the body of an IF25A.  Not that I’m complaining since all 4 emitters are working anyway.

And yes, just like the Swiss Tool, the pocket clip is sold separately.

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: September 04, 2022, 11:20:10 AM
I'll have a look thanks.

Got mine in recently and have been using it around the house and on night walks, I like it! The shape is great for pocket carry, the battery indicator is informative and pleasing, good light levels and the laser is good distance (though my laser experience is minimal):

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #99 on: September 04, 2022, 04:43:21 PM
Awesome.  I watched a review shortly after you brought this light to my attention.  Laser is nice as its not insane which for me is good. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #100 on: September 14, 2022, 05:32:14 AM
Decided to get a Reylight Pineapple Mini.  This is a nice powerful AAA light.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #101 on: September 23, 2022, 10:54:33 AM
I’m gonna have to be honest here.  It seems that my journey down this rabbit hole has come to an abrupt stop….call it super slow down, call it abrupt stop, but at the end of the day I find myself crawling out of this rabbit hole.

I’ve amassed a small number of lights and even went duplicate on some of them.  Some felt good on paper but fell short of expectations during actual use. Some are pure keepers, no matter what others say.  Some are just catching dust on the shelf.

As I’m from the city and rarely do outdoor stuff, the use of my lights are limited to what I need them for at home and the occasional dark alleyway. 

In saying that, I have no idea why I bought a second TS22, after winning 1 in the GAW.  I guess I bought it coz of the USD10 discount using platform coupons. 

I got caught up in the fanfare surrounding the TS10 so I now have 2 silver ones in red and orange aux respectively, both catching dust on the shelf.

I have 3 angle lights which work as headlamps (and might get a fourth?) which is OK since it’s needed for our kits.

But at the end of the day, it’s a TS21 with short tube running a 20350 battery that I’m using.

I’m also gonna have to admit to my favorite sellers/manufacturers leaving a bad taste in my mouth as they have manipulated prices to purposely peak during sales.  Add to that the doubling of prices of new products versus how much it’s listed in Amazon or Ali.

It’s been fun but I guess I’ve overstayed my welcome in this rabbit hole.  I’m lucky that the ones I own are quite cheap, but on the other hand, since they’re cheap, it’s not worth to flip them.   

Catch you guys in the next rabbit hole that I’ll find myself falling in!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #102 on: September 23, 2022, 03:56:05 PM
When its fun its fun so when its time to emerge from the hole thats ok.  If you end up with good gear even more so.  If you haven't spent a lot then even better.

You now have some good lights that will come in handy.  If you have kids those light can be passed to them at the right time.  Maybe a friend at some point will express a desire for a light and you can gift one. 

See ya at the next rabbit hole.   
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #103 on: September 23, 2022, 04:13:34 PM
When its fun its fun so when its time to emerge from the hole thats ok.  If you end up with good gear even more so.  If you haven't spent a lot then even better.

You now have some good lights that will come in handy.  If you have kids those light can be passed to them at the right time.  Maybe a friend at some point will express a desire for a light and you can gift one. 

See ya at the next rabbit hole.   

Thanks Aloha!

Yes, I’m looking at giving/teaching the kids how to use the headlamps at the least. There’s also 2x IF25A for each if they want. We won’t have uses now but maybe when we have an out of town trip or something of an adventure at night.

Actually it’s the thought of having such activities that’s preventing me from giving my extras as gifts.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: September 24, 2022, 07:04:21 PM
Its so fun to teach the kids about such things.  When were young it was fun to use lights  just around the house.  Its a good way to put into practice what they've learned.  I also love to put good gear I may not "edc" into kit.  Nothing better than that for excess gear.  Why put some random "cheap" gear in kit that just because? 

I have more than my share of AAA lights.  They live in kit.  In my evacuation bag I have a headlamp plus additional lights.  All excess gear I just wont carry day to day but awesome to devote to a specific purpose.  It might be different if I had lights beyond that.  Then I might think its time to gift. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD