Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Very Disappointed

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Very Disappointed
on: June 13, 2017, 07:21:11 PM
Well I posted in the what have you got on the way thread on Sunday that I had ordered something from James Purdey & Sons.

It arrived today and I've got to say I extremely unimpressed (that's an understatement).

First of the pics

Ok, nice high quality envelope and paper inside.

A reasonable belt sheath.

But that's where the good stuff ends.

That's the state of the knife as it arrived with me. Filthy with god bows how many finger prints and gunk on it.

Here's a close up of one of the bolsters just to add to the pain.

The final nail in the coffin is that it's completely blunt, not dull or still got the wire on the edge. Totally blunt, I've just proved this by repeatedly sawing away at the palm of my hand and all I have to show for it is a slight redness. My sons plastic scissors are more capable of cutting paper than this knife is.

Now I phoned them and was reasonably confident that I'd get a sensible reply. No, I couldn't get them on the phone.

So I've emailed them and this is what worries me now, my first email bounced due to me forgetting to reduce the size of the photo's. The bounce notification came from the Richemont Group. People who have expensive watches know all to well about the legendary lack of customer service from them. I have the horrible feeling I've just been smurfed.

I'll see if they respond to my email tomorrow and if not I'll take it back to their by appointment only showroom and see what happens there.

Sorry I should add that this is a £200 knife, a £20 SAK beats it in every respect.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:22:54 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline thatotherguy

Re: Very Disappointed
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:31:55 PM
That's unacceptable. I would complain loudly in their showroom when you're surrounded by potential customers and they're on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:34:09 PM
That's unacceptable. I would complain loudly in their showroom when you're surrounded by potential customers and they're on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly what I would do ,I've never spent £200 on one knife,but if i did I would want it perfect  :tu:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:35:42 PM
Total bummer, for that king of dough it should be flawless   :(

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:37:56 PM
I'm not sure how much that is in US currency, but that sounds like way too much for that kind of quality. It reminds me of one of those cheap mail order knives in the sportsman magazines. Heartbreaking. :dwts:
Send In the spartans

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 07:48:35 PM
I'm not sure how much that is in US currency, but that sounds like way too much for that kind of quality. It reminds me of one of those cheap mail order knives in the sportsman magazines. Heartbreaking. :dwts:

At today's exchange rate that's $257.52
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:54:42 PM
You pay for the craftsmanship....

As i found out with most so called hand made traditional knives, especially uk made ones, you need to inspect them personally or buy from someone you trust
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:58:11 PM
You pay for the craftsmanship....

As i found out with most so called hand made traditional knives, especially uk made ones, you need to inspect them personally or buy from someone you trust

I would happily pay for craftsmanship, this knife however exhibits none what so ever.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 08:00:19 PM
Yeesh... $250 for that? I've bought used Rough Riders for $4 that make it look like total smurf. At that price point you'd think they could afford some QA  :facepalm: :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 08:27:45 PM
 :facepalm:

I hope you get it sorted mate. 

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:29:10 PM
Errr, oh that's just wrong, sorry, hope you get a hold of them and the take care of it!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:33 PM

At today's exchange rate that's $257.52

I hope you at least get a refund from them. I'd definitely let them have it if there's an online review for that knife.
Send In the spartans

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 11:37:21 PM
That is a total bummer and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I wouldn't stop until you get a quality knife or your money back.

Where did you purchase it from?
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:30 AM
That's clearly a used knife.  Was it sold as a new one?  Thats pretty scammy.  Im going to hope that somehow they sent you a repair job from someone else and not an actual new purchased product.  Otherwise that is one huge whiskey tango foxtrot.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cody6268

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 12:06:46 AM
This reminds me of a very cheap Pakistani or Chinese knife. I wouldn't give $10 for that thing, but the sheath seems to be quite nice, but nowhere near enough to make up for that quality.  Looking at their offerings, everything they offer seems to just be a bargain bin piece of crap with fancy handles and a ridiculously huge price tag.  It's as if they just bought a ton of knives from China (and not even good ones like RR at that) put fancy handles on it, then offered it at a probably 2000 percent markup.

https://www.purdey.com/shooting-accessories/knives

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 12:15:15 AM

This reminds me of a very cheap Pakistani or Chinese knife. I wouldn't give $10 for that thing, but the sheath seems to be quite nice, but nowhere near enough to make up for that quality.  Looking at their offerings, everything they offer seems to just be a bargain bin piece of crap with fancy handles and a ridiculously huge price tag.  It's as if they just bought a ton of knives from China (and not even good ones like RR at that) put fancy handles on it, then offered it at a probably 2000 percent markup.

I think you nailed it and that Damascus looks like the cheap Pakistani stuff that litters flea markets.  If it doesnt explicitly say what that steels are that make up the Damascus, avoid it like the plague.

How about a SAK knockoff for $800  ?

https://www.purdey.com/stag-horn-multi-tool-pocket-knife
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:17:36 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 12:39:02 AM

I think you nailed it and that Damascus looks like the cheap Pakistani stuff that litters flea markets.  If it doesnt explicitly say what that steels are that make up the Damascus, avoid it like the plague.

Oh wow... Look at that saw.

I'd never heard of this company before today, but now it's obvious they're one of those scam "cutleries" that are always taking non-knife people for thousands of dollars. I wouldn't wait for a refund from them if you have any recourse through the payment method you used. If you used a credit card, call your company and get those charges reversed.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 01:48:29 AM

There's some underlying similarities to the Nontron Navette #68 there. I wouldn't be surprised if that was made in Thiers, France

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 01:50:19 AM
Well I posted in the what have you got on the way thread on Sunday that I had ordered something from James Purdey & Sons.

Sorry I should add that this is a £200 knife, a £20 SAK beats it in every respect.

::) :cry: :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 02:58:55 AM
Purdey makes (made?) top-end shotguns. Wonder if someone's using their name illegally.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 04:32:55 AM
:facepalm:

I hope you get it sorted mate.

I hope that as well :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 07:39:15 AM
Real bummer and incredibly sad the knife came in that condition.  I sure hope you are able resolve this with out too much issue.
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 08:01:11 PM
Right, everything is resolved. I got hold of the phone number of a person there that really I shouldn't have been able to get hold of, hey I can't give away all my secrets  >:D

So after a lengthy discussion about the failings of their folding knives and mine in particular I made a suggestion for an alternative supplier for said folding knives. In this case we will have to wait and see.

Within 20 minutes of the phone call the money was refunded to my account and a courier will be returning it to them tomorrow.

Now a couple of points that were made that could do with a little clarity, James Purdey & Sons still make some of finest shotguns and rifles in the world, this is axiomatic. I wish I could buy a rifle or a matching pair of shotguns but that's never going to happen due to the cost of them.

The fixed blade knives are all made or in some cases assembled in the UK (certain types of blades being sourced in Europe of the US from reputable foundries). Out of respect to the maker I will not name him.

Firearms aside I think that Purdey had to become a luxury brand to survive and branched out into other more lifestyle product ranges, just like Victorinox had to after 911.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 08:17:41 PM
That $800 SAK clone doesn't really scream luxury to me.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 08:19:08 PM

As I said above, I discussed this with them and they listened, so hopefully they take in on board.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:49 PM

As I said above, I discussed this with them and they listened, so hopefully they take in on board.

I know a guy that does high end SAK customs...  :whistle:  lol

The rest of their merchandise looks top notch, it just seems like they didnt know what they were getting into with the knives.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 08:32:00 PM

The rest of their merchandise looks top notch, it just seems like they didnt know what they were getting into with the knives.

Hmm so do I  :think:  must drop him a PM soon outlining what it is I require  :salute:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 08:43:13 PM

Hmm so do I  :think:  must drop him a PM soon outlining what it is I require  :salute:

Maybe you could talk him into doing something in titanium...  :whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 09:31:48 PM
I spend €63 on a limited edition SAK today...
Allready felt like a gem... now it's a crown jewel.

I feel your pain buddy, hope all turns out fine soon!

EDIT:
Should've red all the posts :facepalm:

Good it all turned out alright!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:35:28 PM by Mechanickal »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 04:31:20 AM
Its always great to hear a company stood behind their products or at least refunded the money paid.   Glad it worked out. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD