Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kids talking about joining military service,,

us Offline Okie Shyster

Re: Kids talking about joining military service,,
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 02:58:39 PM
Interesting,
If I could have served I would have thought of going into the navy, I would have liked to sail the world. The Mrs father was in the navy and he told me some funny story's, lol, he was a car grease head, and one thing he and his buddy's used to do is when his ship docked they would buy a junky six cylinder, and drag race some nicer cars for slips, well, they used to steal jet fuel off the shop and dump it into the car, and of course blow the doors off the nicer ones, their car would only last a few races cause the simple car couldn't take it, but hey, they would make off with a couple slips! Then use them for docked time then sell them..
JR
[/quote]

Hate to say it but your F-I-L is telling you a "sea story."  Sea stories begin with, "Now this is no smurf..."   :rofl:

Jet fuel is basically kerosene.  Gas engines don't run well at all on kerosene.  Here is an article that explains why:

https://jalopnik.com/5938552/why-you-really-shouldnt-run-jet-fuel-in-your-car

In my younger days I worked for a while at an airport.  Someone (not me, fortunately) accidentally filled the aviation gas truck with jet fuel.  Thinking it was aviation gas, the jet fuel was then put into a Southern Airways Martin 404 airliner ( twin engine, piston-powered, radial engines.)  The airliner took off and one engine failed.  The pilot was barely able to return to the airport on the badly running second engine--very close to a disaster.

Good sea story though.   :tu:

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.   :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:10:24 PM by Okie Shyster »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:22 PM
Interesting,
If I could have served I would have thought of going into the navy, I would have liked to sail the world. The Mrs father was in the navy and he told me some funny story's, lol, he was a car grease head, and one thing he and his buddy's used to do is when his ship docked they would buy a junky six cylinder, and drag race some nicer cars for slips, well, they used to steal jet fuel off the shop and dump it into the car, and of course blow the doors off the nicer ones, their car would only last a few races cause the simple car couldn't take it, but hey, they would make off with a couple slips! Then use them for docked time then sell them..
JR

Hate to say it but your F-I-L is telling you a "sea story."  Sea stories begin with, "Now this is no smurf..."   :rofl:

Jet fuel is basically kerosene.  Gas engines don't run well at all on kerosene.  Here is an article that explains why:

In my younger days I worked for a while at an airport.  Someone (not me, fortunately) accidentally filled the aviation gas truck with jet fuel.  Thinking it was aviation gas, the jet fuel was then put into a Southern Airways Martin 404 airliner ( twin engine, piston-powered, radial engines.)  The airliner took off and one engine failed.  The pilot was barely able to return to the airport on the badly running second engine--very close to a disaster.

Kerosene works fine in diesel car engines, its just that it makes them wear out faster due to kerosene providing less lubrication then Diesel, which is not a concern in the short term.   :pok:

Even your article says so.

What it doesn't do is make your car go superfast, but any junker car will seem superfast if you don't care about it and you push it to the limit.  :ahhh
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:23:29 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 03:30:22 PM
Interesting,
JR

Kerosene works fine in diesel car engines, its just that it makes them wear out faster due to kerosene providing less lubrication then Diesel, which is not a concern in the short term.   :pok:

What it doesn't do is make your car go superfast, but any junker car will seem superfast if you don't care about it and you push it to the limit.  :ahhh

You're right--jet fuel (kerosene) will work just fine in a diesel engine but the "story" appears to be about running jet fuel in a gas engine, i.e., "they would buy a junky six cylinder and drag race some nicer cars…"   :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 04:22:00 PM
Interesting,
JR

You're right--jet fuel (kerosene) will work just fine in a diesel engine but the "story" appears to be about running jet fuel in a gas engine, i.e., "they would buy a junky six cylinder and drag race some nicer cars…"   :pok:
I'm not a gearhead so....
Why couldn't those cars be diesel engined?  ???
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 04:43:12 PM
Interesting,
JR

I'm not a gearhead so....
Why couldn't those cars be diesel engined?  ???

In the U.S. we don't have very many diesel engined cars so when an American refers to a "six cylinder" they generally mean a gas engine (six cylinder gas engines are very common here).  And overseas where diesel engined cars are far more common they generally aren't six cylinder.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:56 PM
Idk, it was some story he told, cause we used to customize old cars, maybe it was a junky diesel, were also talking 15yrs ago so I don't remember word for word on details, and I can't ask because he passed a while back.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Kids talking about joining military service,,
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 02:08:32 AM
You may have remembered it wrong, or he just told it wrong.
Jet fuel is a term used to sound cool when telling a story, yet confused with Aviation Gas which would more accessible, IMHO. 

I have heard a similar story from two co-workers who are gearheads, in the air force,in Japan, assigned to motor pool and engine maintenance.  Some how they had a 64 or 65 mustang, and would race 1/8 mile drags with locals. 
They always told them it was special fuel, but in reality it was gearing they had matched in the rear end and tranny for the short run, compared to the local's five and six speeds. 

Aviation fuel can run in a gas car, but the carburetor would be the trick to gain any performance or early injector set up. 

PS: these two were in about 1975 to 78. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 02:33:32 AM
I was going to say it may have actually been Avgas which has a higher octane rating... I can't remember if that gives better performance or not but they used to sell it at a petrol station near a race track so it must have been regularly used by the cars there.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 02:36:53 AM
Kids a little pissed, he got a call from the marines that he wasn't expecting, so he spoke to them and supposedly they won't take him because of the tattoos.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 02:58:48 AM
It is about choices, he may now begin learning about consequences for choices made.   
This can be regarding many aspects of his life, school attendance, job performance, driving record, respect toward those in authority, and many many rules that apply to daily life. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:11 AM
Kids a little pissed, he got a call from the marines that he wasn't expecting, so he spoke to them and supposedly they won't take him because of the tattoos.
JR

How prominent are these tattoos?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 04:42:11 AM
I don't really want to speculate on the rules of the USMC - but I would hazard a guess they are going to be the "strictest" of the services.

I would also hazard a guess that their willingness to waive certain requirements (such as visible tattoos) would depend on how desperate they are to fill spots at any given point in time.

If they've got plenty of applicants, and there is nothing separating your boy from any other name on a list, then they have no incentive to find a workaround to get him a spot.

Being a government organisation you'll very likely to be able to get a different answer by talking to someone else :P

Also consider call them back after the 30th of September (I'm guessing here) but I imagine recruiting quotas and the like will be married to a fiscal year and a budget, so positionally might "magically" appear on the 1st of October. (I got those dates from wikipedia about USA Fiscal years - perhaps some more involved research would tell when and how the USMC or other services works out their quotas for hiring)

There would be also be likely quotas for different job roles, so if your boy is willing to do a "less popular" job - They might be more willing to look at him as a potential employee.

Anyway, as a "decision helper" for your boy -

Next weekend, give him 6 cans of baked beans (1 for each meal) and a few bottles of water, and tell him to sit in the back yard.

He can't leave, he can't throw a ball around, he can't use a phone. Just sit there, on the ground, for two days.

He can only sleep between 10 o clock and night, and 6 o clock in the morning - and during the night set an alarm for every hour - when it goes off, he has to get up, get fully dressed and roll up his sleeping bag and wait until the alarm goes off again at the end of the hour - then he can go back to sleep (until it goes off again)

Start on Friday night, finish on Monday morning.

Then school or whatever on monday...

If on monday night at dinner he still thinks being a marine is a good idea, I'll tell you what he can do for the next weekend :P

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:59:09 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 05:41:55 AM
JR

How prominent are these tattoos?
If wearing a long sleeve shirt you wouldn't know, but it's two words on his wrists, "Loyalty" on one and "Honesty" on the other that are not 2" above the wrist. I mean he's got others on the forearm and shoulder, if you ask me I would think those two words would mean more to being in service!
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 06:38:48 AM
Police also to my understanding are not keen on visible tattoos.  The military is a different organization than it was.  I know old timers with tats on their forearms who served. 

I love tattoos tho don't have any.  I've told my kids pretty much the same as LoopCutter posted.  Its all about down road, so make sure whatever you do today will not have a negative effect "down the road". 

On a positive note, now he knows the Marines out.  He can focus his attention on those that might be interested however I had a quick look and Army seems to not be keen on tattoos either.  Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard anywhere on that list of his?

I had a HS friend who sleeved up his arms, neck, hands, and pretty much anywhere he has space.  This was well after HS tho and when he already had a career secure.  He's now damn near retirement and wouldn't change a thing about his tattoos.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:22 AM
Police also to my understanding are not keen on visible tattoos.  The military is a different organization than it was.  I know old timers with tats on their forearms who served. 

I love tattoos tho don't have any.  I've told my kids pretty much the same as LoopCutter posted.  Its all about down road, so make sure whatever you do today will not have a negative effect "down the road". 

On a positive note, now he knows the Marines out.  He can focus his attention on those that might be interested however I had a quick look and Army seems to not be keen on tattoos either.  Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard anywhere on that list of his?

I had a HS friend who sleeved up his arms, neck, hands, and pretty much anywhere he has space.  This was well after HS tho and when he already had a career secure.  He's now damn near retirement and wouldn't change a thing about his tattoos.   
We told him to think, also told him we wouldn't except hand, face, neck, or head tattoos, my thing is make sure it's able to be covered with a simple piece of clothing.
  I have a few myself(would love more, but expensive) in which cover with a tee, except my medical which is on my forearm, I got tired of wearing medical bracelets in case of something, so since I'll have what I have forever, it's there forever, and the docs in the hosp and the ambulance guys loved it. The only other one I have that's not covered is a ring, both my wife and I have the same, and it kinda fell in the same category as the medical bracelet, which reminds me if I remember correctly, our men/women of duty kinda made that popular, since they couldn't wear jewelry and they wanted to wear a ring, they got wedding bands tattooed, now that is in open sight! Unlike a wrist..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 04:32:57 PM
Ring tattoos are listed as being ok.  MadP.  I just had a look at the Marine, Army and Coast Guard tattoo policy.  Looks like they are all inline with each other.  No tattoos on hands or wrists ( below the wrist bone ).  Maybe he needs to go in and let them see for themselves.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 05:09:28 PM
Ring tattoos are listed as being ok.  MadP.  I just had a look at the Marine, Army and Coast Guard tattoo policy.  Looks like they are all inline with each other.  No tattoos on hands or wrists ( below the wrist bone ).  Maybe he needs to go in and let them see for themselves.         
That's what me and the Mrs keep telling him! But when do kids listen to their parents?
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:17 PM
MadP, I think you got it right early on.  The young man is searching.  He's trying to find his place.  I can tell you in all honesty that a kid who wants to become a Marine nothing will stop him.  If he's still just talking then maybe thru this talk he'll come to a clearer understanding of where he sees himself. 

All the young men I know who are veterans simple went down to the recruiting office and joined up.  Not a lot of talk happened.  They knew what branch they wanted to serve in and signed on the bottom line. 

It's a huge decision and if he's not certain then its best he just continue to talk about it.  My friends son graduated last year and went straight into college.  He wan't the best HS student so college was a slap in his face.  He withdrew from all his classes and went to work. 

After 6 months of working he quickly realized he wanted more.  He took his ASVAB to see what jobs in the military would be available to him.  He didn't do great on that test. 

Long story short, he's back at school tho this time he's taking it easier with a few classes and working part time.  He tested for the police and did amazing.  They told him to get a year of life under his belt and to come back. 

I think thats the best advice.  Get some life under your belt.  A year out of HS for some is not enough to know where you want to be. 

Good luck to him on his journey. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 06:12:29 PM
MadP, I think you got it right early on.  The young man is searching.  He's trying to find his place.  I can tell you in all honesty that a kid who wants to become a Marine nothing will stop him.  If he's still just talking then maybe thru this talk he'll come to a clearer understanding of where he sees himself. 

All the young men I know who are veterans simple went down to the recruiting office and joined up.  Not a lot of talk happened.  They knew what branch they wanted to serve in and signed on the bottom line. 

It's a huge decision and if he's not certain then its best he just continue to talk about it.  My friends son graduated last year and went straight into college.  He wan't the best HS student so college was a slap in his face.  He withdrew from all his classes and went to work. 

After 6 months of working he quickly realized he wanted more.  He took his ASVAB to see what jobs in the military would be available to him.  He didn't do great on that test. 

Long story short, he's back at school tho this time he's taking it easier with a few classes and working part time.  He tested for the police and did amazing.  They told him to get a year of life under his belt and to come back. 

I think thats the best advice.  Get some life under your belt.  A year out of HS for some is not enough to know where you want to be. 

Good luck to him on his journey.
That's what I/we keep telling him, get your feet wet, he's got a job, and now that he's out for summer break he'll be on it full time, which he loves, especially when the paycheck comes out,(who doesn't) but he's also said about carpentry, roofing, or electrical, since he took a class on all of them. But he doesn't know,, some how the service came in thought and he's really interested, I mean two months from now he might be gung-ho on automotive! Hes just really got to try things and see which way feels the best then go for it.. Idk how many times we've said that but then again we're his parents and kids never listen,, lol..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41:34 PM
Its a great he's got the gears turning, some kids could careless and just meander thru life.  So he's got that going for himself.   I wondered if you could provide some "training" in your trade?  I know you've got your medical stuff but just a thought.

HVAC, Electrician, Plumbing, and trades of that nature seem to always be in demand.  With the growth towards the tech fields in the past decades I'd think those would always be good. 

My bud went thru an electrician journey man program and upon completion got a job that he's been at for nearly 10 years.  He's union and he's well paid. 

Another went thru a training program for HVAC and much the same scenario. 

At one time I was going to train as a locksmith.  I still kinda wish I would have.  Have you ever called out a locksmith?  Man they charge a good amount. 

He's what I shared with my kids. 

You can be one of three types of people. 

The person with your name on your shirt.
The person with your name on your desk.
The person with the name on the building. 

Decide who you'd like to be and get after it. 

Great thing is an entrepreneur is all three in most cases. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 07:06:25 PM
Its a great he's got the gears turning, some kids could careless and just meander thru life.  So he's got that going for himself.   I wondered if you could provide some "training" in your trade?  I know you've got your medical stuff but just a thought.

HVAC, Electrician, Plumbing, and trades of that nature seem to always be in demand.  With the growth towards the tech fields in the past decades I'd think those would always be good. 

My bud went thru an electrician journey man program and upon completion got a job that he's been at for nearly 10 years.  He's union and he's well paid. 

Another went thru a training program for HVAC and much the same scenario. 

At one time I was going to train as a locksmith.  I still kinda wish I would have.  Have you ever called out a locksmith?  Man they charge a good amount. 

He's what I shared with my kids. 

You can be one of three types of people. 

The person with your name on your shirt.
The person with your name on your desk.
The person with the name on the building. 

Decide who you'd like to be and get after it. 

Great thing is an entrepreneur is all three in most cases.
Oh heck yeah, if he went into hvac/p I don't know who should have more fun, I'd be all over helping him learn, yeah there's always the union, I was in for a little, I always thought the pay was so high was because most of the guys spent it at the bar right after the whistle blew, lol.. I couldn't because I had to get home for the little guys(at the time)
  Locksmith is cool, I have me a little pick and like doing padlocks, lol. Machine shop is another, which I also did for a little over a week back in high school, the only thing is computers are taking over, just punch in numbers and they do it for you, just like automotive, so in the future what will be left? Carpentry, electrical, plumbing, hvac, roofing, and a few others are the fields that your pretty much set on that the computer and machines won't take over. Heck I'm waiting on hairdressing for where you just stick some vacuum helmet on your head you pick a design and it cuts everything, heck they got part of it with that flowbe thingy.. lol. I can only help guild, I can't make his mind up for him, that's up to him. We can just sit and wait to see..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 10:59:32 PM
Well, the kid finally has a smile on his face, he spoke to a recruiter for the Air Force, and he did it on a speaker phone so we kinda listened in and it sounded good, he asked about his tattoos and they said there should be no prob, so he's going to set up a one on one, normally they don't come out, so the kid said: well, I kinda have a problem with my parents, so the recruiter said: lol, don't we all.. But the kid explained that we don't drive do to medical, and the recruiter said that he would have no problem. So I guess we'll see.. I'm kinda proud, because at first he didn't even think of the AF, and to top it off my grandfather was in the AF for 27yrs retiring as master sergeant. So we'll see..
JR

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 11:27:35 PM
Air Force now?

Okay, scrap my last post -

Make him a three course meal, served with complimentary wines, then book him into a spa for the weekend.

That should help him decide if he wants to join the AF.

::) :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:44 PM
Air Force now?

Okay, scrap my last post -

Make him a three course meal, served with complimentary wines, then book him into a spa for the weekend.

That should help him decide if he wants to join the AF.

::) :rofl:
Lol :rofl: yeah seriously.
My father was in the army and fell out of a helicopter, he was put in a body cast at a AF base, he said the food was so good and they had a fast food line and a slow food line, so he would go in the fast food first, this way he could eat while in the slow food, needless to say they had to re-do the body cast like twice because he couldn't breath :whistle:
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:05 PM
Well, today's the day. The Air Force rep is coming out to the house to talk to him and us about everything, should be here in an hour. Normally you need to go to their place but after explaining our disability he had no problem coming out, kinda nervice.. :-\
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:22 PM
This is great.  I sure hope you all get the questions answered in order to make an informed decision. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 05:20:02 PM
This is great.  I sure hope you all get the questions answered in order to make an informed decision.
Thanks,
JR

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 05:26:57 PM
Good luck to your young lad hope it works out for him.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 05:31:39 PM
Good luck to your young lad hope it works out for him.
Thanks, he's still got one year of school before anything, but this is what he wants..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 05:48:53 PM
Oh this sucks, I hate down time, especially being nerv..
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD
45%