Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sanrenmu 9104 vs. Rat 1 Review

SteveC · 26 · 1530

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Sanrenmu 9104 vs. Rat 1 Review
on: July 10, 2017, 04:49:00 PM
I have been carrying this knife for four days now and I wanted to give my impressions. This knife is awesome !

It is the perfect size for me . It falls right in between the Rat 1 and Rat 2 in overall length. The blade however has the same cutting edge length as the Rat 1. The 12C27 seems to hold and edge a lot better than the AUS-8 steel of the Rats. It also comes in slightly lighter than the Rat 1's 5 oz. due to the relief cutouts in the Stainless handles.

I got mine on E-Bay for $22 but they can be had for around $16 on those other overseas websites. It cam shaving sharp out of the box with good slightly early lockup and a perfectly centered blade. The fit and finish is overall better than the Rat 1 that I have. The action is super smooth and flicks open with little effort.

Specs:
Stonewashed 12C27 Flat Ground Stainless Steel Blade & Stainless Steel Handle with bearings on pivot

CLOSED LENGTH    4.5 in
BLADE LENGTH
3.3 in
OPEN LENGTH   7.8 in
PRODUCT WEIGHT   4.47 oz

Left to Right
SRM 710, SRM 910, Rat 1, Rat 2

DSC00400 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00401 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00405 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00407 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00437 by Steve C, on Flickr

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Sanrenmu 9104 vs. Rat 1 Review
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 05:06:25 PM
Nice!
Those SRM knives are a lot knife for the money.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
Nice comparison Steve! They sure do look nice.
Nate

SEND IT!

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:44 PM
I have been carrying this knife for four days now and I wanted to give my impressions. This knife is awesome !

It is the perfect size for me . It falls right in between the Rat 1 and Rat 2 in overall length. The blade however has the same cutting edge length as the Rat 1. The 12C27 seems to hold and edge a lot better than the AUS-8 steel of the Rats. It also comes in slightly lighter than the Rat 1's 5 oz. due to the relief cutouts in the Stainless handles.

I got mine on E-Bay for $22 but they can be had for around $16 on those other overseas websites. It cam shaving sharp out of the box with good slightly early lockup and a perfectly centered blade. The fit and finish is overall better than the Rat 1 that I have. The action is super smooth and flicks open with little effort.

Specs:
Stonewashed 12C27 Flat Ground Stainless Steel Blade & Stainless Steel Handle with bearings on pivot

CLOSED LENGTH    4.5 in
BLADE LENGTH
3.3 in
OPEN LENGTH   7.8 in
PRODUCT WEIGHT   4.47 oz

Left to Right
SRM 710, SRM 910, Rat 1, Rat 2

DSC00400 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00401 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00405 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00407 (2) by Steve C, on Flickr

DSC00437 by Steve C, on Flickr
Good Review! I have a SRM 710 and a RAT-1. The rat usually doesn't get EDC'ed just bc of its size but it comes in handy for outdoors work. My 710 is an awesome knife for less than 10 bucks, but the only issue is that the pivot works itself loose over time, and has to be tightened every few weeks over regular use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:10:38 PM

Good Review! I have a SRM 710 and a RAT-1. The rat usually doesn't get EDC'ed just bc of its size but it comes in handy for outdoors work. My 710 is an awesome knife for less than 10 bucks, but the only issue is that the pivot works itself loose over time, and has to be tightened every few weeks over regular use.

Thanks !   :cheers:

I don't carry my Rat 1 much for the same reason, just a bit big.

I love my 710 as well, great little knife. I've never had to tighten the pivot on mine and I've used it a bunch.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:00:21 AM
I like the SRM line of knives. They have a lot of direct copies of much more expensive high end knives which is a bit shady but they are not counterfeits so it's a clever business practice. I have heard some of the Spyderco copies are actually made in the same factory they make the legit Spydercos in which is why you get a great knife for the money. Have no way of proving this though.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:15:06 AM
I like the SRM line of knives. They have a lot of direct copies of much more expensive high end knives which is a bit shady but they are not counterfeits so it's a clever business practice. I have heard some of the Spyderco copies are actually made in the same factory they make the legit Spydercos in which is why you get a great knife for the money. Have no way of proving this though.
I have a CRKT drifter and compared to the SRM they are identical as far as machining and fit and finish. If they didnt come from the same factory i would be surprised.

"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:59 AM
Great review and comparison pics Steve :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 05:46:07 AM
Thanks P   :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 03:24:16 PM

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 03:32:16 PM
 :like:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:56 PM
Good review  :salute:
Interesting comments about edge holding since AUS-8 is a small step up from 12C27.
Heat treat can make a difference
Especially when the steels are not far apart.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:28 PM
Great review and a nice option for those looking for their next knife. 

I have little experience with AUS 8 and none with 12c27 tho I agree with Dean51, heat treat is key. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 06:14:21 PM
Great review and comparison Steve  :salute:

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:49 PM
I've heard Sanrenmu makes the Chinese Spydercos (namely the Tenacious line), and I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Let me guess. After using this Sanrenmu, your new high end knife grail is a large Sebenza 21?

If it's not, It should be... the SRM is a near identical design.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:06 PM
here we go again...  This is not BF, Sal has said that SRM makes some of his knives (no secret, he is not complaining) and most people do not buy the 710 because they are not good enough to get the Sebenza. There have been several threads and videos, especially on BF years ago on whether the 21 and the 710 are identical - they have now practically stopped and people can buy whatever they like. Captain Spaulding actually has the sebenza but does not feel the need to point it out or make comments that will just upset other members. Others have various high and low end knives. In the 70s Schrade, Case, Buck were making nearly identical knives too (110), and for the same market and target customers. This is not a forum for picking fights, unless we are discussing bicycles.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:02 AM
Thanks guys  :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 08:23:45 AM
I think another point here for me is simple,would I carry a sebenza 21 oh yes for sure,will I ever ,no,simple our uk laws forbids it so I'll not spend that much money on a shelf queen  :-\ would I buy a SRM for occasionally camp use,yep as more cost effective, plus I've owned enough SRM's to know they make good knives  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:25:13 AM by Zed »

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:33:04 AM
here we go again...  This is not BF, Sal has said that SRM makes some of his knives (no secret, he is not complaining) and most people do not buy the 710 because they are not good enough to get the Sebenza. There have been several threads and videos, especially on BF years ago on whether the 21 and the 710 are identical - they have now practically stopped and people can buy whatever they like. Captain Spaulding actually has the sebenza but does not feel the need to point it out or make comments that will just upset other members. Others have various high and low end knives. In the 70s Schrade, Case, Buck were making nearly identical knives too (110), and for the same market and target customers. This is not a forum for picking fights, unless we are discussing bicycles.

And can openers

I think another point here for me is simple,would I carry a sebenza 21 oh yes for sure,will I ever ,no,simple our uk laws forbids it so I'll not spend that much money on a shelf queen  :-\ would I buy a SRM for occasionally camp use,yep as more cost effective, plus I've owned enough SRM's to know they make good knives  :salute:

This is similar to my line of thought. Even though it isn't forbidden, I rarely carry my Spyderco Sage (and am actually looking to trade it). But the Tenacious sees a lot of work as a home improvement and sometimes hiking knife. Plus SRM can be a great way to inexpensively find out if you even like the design and some of it's features (handle, lock, blade profile).

Great review
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:41:22 AM
I like the 510 ,I carry a UK legal SRM H02 most days or a old non branded stockman,if I lost one of these I could afford to replace it,but if i used a Sebenza for camping for example and lost it,I would be gutted and never have the money to replace it  :-\ plus these cheaper knives I've used for years more than do the job  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:43:54 AM by Zed »

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:19 AM
Tell me about it... Actually don't, you've caused enough trouble with the Mora 2/0 Little Gaute
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 10:48:34 AM
Tell me about it... Actually don't, you've caused enough trouble with the Mora 2/0 Little Gaute

:rofl:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 11:10:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Steve.  I always have liked the RAT 1.  Will have to SRM a try.  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 05:45:21 PM
I have a CRKT drifter and compared to the SRM they are identical as far as machining and fit and finish. If they didnt come from the same factory i would be surprised.

I got this SR0059 from a Chinese website, very similar to the CRKT Ripple but with different brand name etched on the blade.
The CRKT costs around $60-80 here, this one cost me $8 and has the same smooth action, slicey grind, steel and scales, virtually the same knife.

You know where to buy = you don't pay for branding, shipping and company names! Same factory = same quality, most of the times
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:58:13 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 06:54:43 AM

I got this SR0059 from a Chinese website, very similar to the CRKT Ripple but with different brand name etched on the blade.
The CRKT costs around $60-80 here, this one cost me $8 and has the same smooth action, slicey grind, steel and scales, virtually the same knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

You know where to buy = you don't pay for branding, shipping and company names! Same factory = same quality, most of the times
Bingo!

"

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Sanrenmu 9104 vs. Rat 1 Review :Update
Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:47 AM
I have been carrying this knife everyday since I got it and been using it daily to cut various things. It's still sharp enough to cut receipt paper with ease and I've yet to even touch up the edge. The steel on the Rat doesn't even come close to holding an edge like this.

Great knife !   :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD