Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taking apart a SOG, and some differences

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Taking apart a SOG, and some differences
on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:54 AM
A few days ago I got a black SOG Powerlock (with leather sheath) in the mail.  It was in great shape but it had that "sandy" feel when opening the pliers/tools...a great excuse to strip it down and lube it up.

The sheaths.  The darker one on the left is the one I just got, the right one is my EDC.  The (I'm assuming) older sheath on the left is made of slightly thinner leather...hardly noticeable unless you're holding both.

The one on the top is my EDC, the bottom is the one I just got.  Notice no patent number and a different font size in the word "Powerlock".

The blades.  The serrations are different between the two tools.  The serrations on the top one are more traditional, whereas my EDC tool on the bottom has a tighter pattern and no "points".

The saw blades.  The top blade is on my EDC and has a more agressive teeth on it whereas the other one has smaller teeth.  You'll probably get cleaner cuts with the latter, but you can get through material faster with the former.

The plier heads.  No differences...just wanted to post some worn and scratched black oxide!

Alright, now I've got to take this new tool apart.  After all I can't really call myself a die hard fan of the Powerlock if I've never removed the scissors and put them back in...

First things first:

The tools:

Off with it's head:

Now the scissors.  I've heard it's a pain in the neck to put this three peice impliment back in and it is.  It helped that I had a built Powerlock next to me and steady hands :D  The only thing I ever did with this handle on my EDC tool was slide the bolt out enough to get the two washers out and put one between the knife and bottle opener.  Why did SOG put two washers together between the 1/4" driver and bottle opener?  Moving those around helps with the clumping between the blade and opener.

"Well used knife blade:

After I pulled everything out and wiped everything down, I applied some of this old graphite lube to anything that moved...only 39 cents!!! :D

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:44:55 AM by Corrugated »
[

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: Taking apart a SOG, and some differences
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 04:43:12 AM
When putting the scissors back into a PowerLock it helps to lay the pieces on a flat surface and scotch tape them together on one side, then put them into the handle , and them remove the tape. Took me a while to figure this out, but it's really the easy way to do it.

SOG has printed directions, I sent my only copy ( dumb me ) with the last pair od scissors I sold. Maybe someone can scan the directions and put it in a sticky message in the SOG area.

Better yet maybe someone from SOG could post them on their WWW site, I checked for the instructions last week and could not find them posted any where.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:44:48 AM
It looks like you got the old saw with your new Powerlock
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:18:20 PM
nice job and tips! :cheers:

how's it feel now? scratchiness/ruff action all gone?

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:55:24 PM
Nice post & pics Corro  8)
My old man is keen on graphite as a lubricant , me I am not sure(bad son :think: :D) .Being a powder does the graphite work as long as a lubricant as other products or does the powder get displaced quickly? I really  like the way SOG lets you easily autopsy their tools & provide replacement parts .

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:44:04 PM
ALL I use is graphite, I find sprays and oils attract dust and dirt. 

Guess it's the locksmith training - most locks get the pins gummed up from WD-40 being sprayed in the keyway, a big no no.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:39:32 PM
ALL I use is graphite, I find sprays and oils attract dust and dirt. 

Guess it's the locksmith training - most locks get the pins gummed up from WD-40 being sprayed in the keyway, a big no no.

I managed to get my security door's lock exceedingly well gummed up using Lanotec spray(a lanolin based lubricant)  ::). Syringe with a blunt needle + methylated spirits did the ungumming trick  :D. So yer old man is right sometimes :D , I will get some graphite when I see some next :D :cheers: 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:44:57 PM
This has got to be one of the best powerlock threads I have read  :D A huge thanks as its helped me get the washers on mine back in the right place . Good photos too .

Dunc

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 10:19:35 PM
Nice... Now where are my 1/4 inch drivers at?
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD