Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Few questions about deburring tools and custom liners

Offline 875fps

So far all of my deburring has been with a twist drill which is either at 118 or 135 degrees ... I'm honestly not sure which.  I have it wrapped with gaffers tape and deburr everything by hand.  It's worked for a few knives so far but my sharpening skills aren't the best and it takes me a long time to get it back to working order.    I think I need to pick up a carbide deburring tool but I'm not sure which one to get.

So I'm here to ask the pros what you guys use.

I also finally used all of my KnifeKits pivots and just got my AKS ones in and they are 1000% better.  The tolerance is spot on!  The pivots are just barely bigger than my 1/8" spade bit so I'm researching how to properly finish the tools.  Previously, I was thinning out the pivots until they fit but these are such a close fit that I think it would be best to ream / sand the holes in the tools until they fit.  The pivots will still be polished, I'm not completely leaving them alone.

The more of these I do, the more I want to step up my game.  I almost cringe every time I put one together with the stock liners.  Especially the ones with stonewashed tools.  I'm curious how you guys make your custom liners.  Do you guys have yours cut or do you use a router bit or something to shape yours by hand?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Few questions about deburring tools and custom liners
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
For deburring holes manual deburring tools like these work very well: http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?catID=coun

For deburring along edges be it straight or curved check out tools like http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?catID=ld26.

There are several manufacturers of these kind of tools, and usually also sets available with the most common ones. They are surprisingly effective and do a wide variety of materials.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:00 AM
I dont have anything fancy.  I have alot of 82 degree carbide countersink bits and I just use those turned by hand to debur holes.   

I buy alot of the 1/4 ones from lakeshore.  Those are what I use to countersink the holes in my Ti scales.

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/82degreecountersink-sixflute.aspx
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:43:45 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline 875fps

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:58:44 AM
For deburring holes manual deburring tools like these work very well: http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?catID=coun

For deburring along edges be it straight or curved check out tools like http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?catID=ld26.

There are several manufacturers of these kind of tools, and usually also sets available with the most common ones. They are surprisingly effective and do a wide variety of materials.

Thank you.  I actually just bought one of those swivel deburring tools for a different project and didn't even think about finding one for 1/8 holes.  I'll have to look into that because I like that thing quite a bit.

Offline 875fps

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 06:17:04 AM
I dont have anything fancy.  I have alot of 82 degree carbide countersink bits and I just use those turned by hand to debur holes.   

I buy alot of the 1/4 ones from lakeshore.  Those are what I use to countersink the holes in my Ti scales.

Thank you.  I'm going to pick up one of those.

My drill bit works really well but it dulls way too fast, especially when working on these hardened tools.  I've been looking for a good carbide one.

Any comment on the liners?  I'm thinking having them cut with a cnc vs a waterjet would be ideal.  Have any of you guys ever use Ti liners?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:16:53 AM
I actually just bought one of those swivel deburring tools for a different project and didn't even think about finding one for 1/8 holes.  I'll have to look into that because I like that thing quite a bit.

The ones specially made for holes are basically countersinks with a handle (swivel or not being options), and thus work with tiny holes too.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:25:07 PM

My drill bit works really well but it dulls way too fast, especially when working on these hardened tools.  I've been looking for a good carbide one.

Any comment on the liners?  I'm thinking having them cut with a cnc vs a waterjet would be ideal.  Have any of you guys ever use Ti liners?

I used to get my Ti liners waterjet but its a very very rought finish, lots of filing and sanding to finish the edges.  I CNC mine now and they turn out fine.  I also carbidize the wear points on the liners to prevent tool galling and it works great.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline 875fps

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:45:05 PM

I used to get my Ti liners waterjet but its a very very rought finish, lots of filing and sanding to finish the edges.  I CNC mine now and they turn out fine.  I also carbidize the wear points on the liners to prevent tool galling and it works great.

Thank you.

Offline 875fps

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 07:13:40 AM

I got my carbide deburring tool in the other day and it works fantastically. Thanks for the recommendation. It leaves a bit of chatter but it's on the tools so it's not visible at all.  I'm still using my Dremel HSS cutting tool (part number 144) for my Ti scales since it seems to produce less chatter.  I countersink my screw holes on my drill press and then clean up the chatter with an actual Dremel.

I sent a request in for the cost on CNCing some Ti liners.  I have no idea how much it's going to cost but these factory Alox liners have got to go.  I would love to use brass like you guys use but they don't go well with the look of the stonewashed tools.  I would love to hear any recommendations for other liner options that go well with stonewashed tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%