Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wooden SAK storage box

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Wooden SAK storage box
on: September 10, 2017, 10:14:19 AM
Well maybe..... I came across this on Amazon and it could potentially be a nice SAK storage box. I assume you could stack 2 - 3 of them if more space is needed. Not sure on the depth or height of the actual drawers so I have no idea if it will actually fit a SAK, but it looks like it should.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OU01K96/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_34?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Wooden SAK storage box
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:26:27 AM
It says total height 5", and it has 5 shelves which seem to be of equal height, so thicker SAKs won't fit. Looks nice to organize small ones, though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:36:15 PM by Steinar »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:42:09 AM
Not bad...

Recovered an angled sigar box from a building to be demolished for the same goal...

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:09:49 PM
I would think drawer depth is going to be a problem. These are usually made to hold paint brushes or pencils.

Description says 5" high. You have a certain amount of thickness for the top and bottom, plus the bottoms of four drawers and the internal separators between each. So if we bravely assume that they are all the same thickness, that is five layers for the box and four for the drawers, nine in total. Lets assume they are an eighth of an inch, that kills over an inch of the total height and if the SAKs fit into drawers that are less than an inch high, they are heavier than the paint brushes or pencils this was intended for. You can also see that there is a header and footer on this box, so you're losing even more space. Guestimate 3/4-7/16" per drawer.

They either won't fit and/or they'll break the bottoms out of the drawers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:11:47 PM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:34 PM
What has been said is true from my experience. The weight of knives adds up quickly and the thin drawer bottoms would start to sag. I had this happen on a pair of harbor freight machinist wood cases by windsor. I used them for my antique knife collection. After a few weeks the drawer bottoms were sagging 3/8ths of an inch. This makes it hard to pull out the larger drawers. I keep meaning to install matel rails inside of the two long drawers to fix it, but that is a project for another day. One other thins that did work was a plastic case that has four separate divider boxes inside that slide out and can be adjusted to fit a specific knife. The top also has storage. I keep 16 MTs in it with the sheaths stored in the top. Has a handle for carry as well. I will post a pic of it later today. It is not pretty like a wood cabinet,  but does work. If I get the drawers unsagged in my machinist wood box, then it will be pretty and functional as well!
Attached is a pic if my machinist box with the door  closed. Inside it has six small drawers with built in dividers and two long drawers in the bottom. About  $79 when on sale.
20170322_200134.jpeg
* 20170322_200134.jpeg (Filesize: 66.24 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 11:21:55 PM
I was looking at these plano ones for awhile now. I do have most of my VIcs & flashlights & knifes in planos or other brand plastic cases, and then I put them all in a sterilite bin, but its kinda a pain to get to the ones at the bottom, so might give one of these toolbox a whirl on amazon

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%