Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Back in the SAK family

00 Offline fivesense

Back in the SAK family
on: July 03, 2017, 04:16:13 AM
As a kid, I had various SAKs in my pockets or dresser drawers. I loved carrying around the knife and tool set- it made me feel independent and I thought I was MacGuyver. However, I'd guess the last time I carried an SAK was when I was in my early teens. I moved on to other knives and Leatherman multitools and forgot the feeling of always having a SAK with me. Fast forward some 30 years.

A little over a week ago, I'd been reading some posts in another forum and kept seeing discussions about SAK. The love of SAK is even deeper than those who love their Moras and Spydercos, etc...! The more I read, the more the feeling came back.

SO- I now have 2 SAKs- a ruby Swiss Champ (on my belt), and Huntsman BSA- and tomorrow I receive an Explorer and two Rescue Tools for my vehicles. One of the Rescue Tools is for my wife's car and I also bought her a Huntsman (with the corkscrew, for obvious reasons!). She is actually excited to have a red multitool in her purse and even said she wants to carry it around. I did buy but return an Alox Farmer, only because I didn't realize it doesn't (none of the Alox do to my knowledge) tweezers and a toothpick, which I actually really like. But I love Alox so I'm sure one will find its way back to me.

By the way, I love Morakniv (I have 9) and Spyderco (I carry a PM2 daily and also have a Military). So what are my favorite tools on the SAKs? I do use the blades because they are great for precision cuts and other tasks, but I've generally got the other knives for bigger tasks. I love the pliers, tweezers, awl (for things that would otherwise ding up the blade) and scissors. But I really love the magnifying glass! I use it to examine lots of things but most importantly, I use the magnifier to examine my blades on my other knives after I've sharpened them on the whetstone! It's really fun to see an edge after sharpening at the micro level.

I'm glad to be a part of this group and I look forward to learning from everyone. I'll ask questions and share my experiences too.

Thanks!

Doug
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: Back in the SAK family
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:21:03 AM
Welcome back!!!  Sounds like you've got some nice stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline DEMartin

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:06:19 AM
Sounds like you are off to a good start on a collectionas you return.
Water, water, every where,
 And all the boards did shrink;
 Water, water, every where,
 Nor any drop to drink.

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:06:50 AM
Welcome back!!!  Sounds like you've got some nice stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

My focus with all my tools is to use them. I have no safe queens (with my firearms either). The best part about a knife- multitool specifically- is that there are frequent reasons throughout the course of every day where a tool is required. So there are plenty of excuses to fiddle with one!

Up until last week, I was carrying my Leatherman CX. The CX is a phenomenal tool- great locking blade, excellent utilitarian 154cm steel, hard-use pliers and a good screw driver set (Phillips and flat head). But I found myself missing key components that I know I'd use (things like an awl, scissors, magnifier, etc...). So while there's no law against carrying 3 knives/tools, the SAKs that I have generally negate the need to carry the Leatherman. Not sure if I'll sell the two I have or keep them around as they are outstanding.

For business, as the Swiss Champ is a little stout, I'm likely to carry the Explorer. I don't think I'll need the saw on business trips (the kind that require flying) but I do think the rest of the tools are great to have when away from home. The Huntsman BSA would work for this too, but again, I love that magnifier!

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:39 AM
By the way, I took my SAK Knight oath and posted my Swiss Champ. I hope soon to have a banner!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:23:26 AM
I know there are some passionate knife owners from other brands.  I think a Swiss Army Knife however is a unifying knife.  I have seen discussion pertaining to certain brands where people wont carry other brands yet carry a SAK. 

The great thing is a SAK is as simple or full featured as you need.  Its been tested thru time and seems to always come out having proved itself time and time again. 

Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:02:37 PM
Hi there fivesense!
I met you on the Spyderco forum on June the 17th, my username is the same there. Remember you perfectly, and your thread on the Para 2 as an EDDC!  :salute:  You already seemed a very nice mate back then, i see I was not wrong   :tu:

Congrats on rediscovering the wonderful magic and usefulness of SAKs, and your thoughts seem just like mine. I also carry the Explorer when the Swisschamp seems too big and bulky, but I want to keep glass and Phillips.
My EDC is always a Spyderco, a Multitool and a SAK, which ones varies depending on what I'll do that day. Some pics of them, just because I know you also love your Leatherman, Victorinox and Spydies!

Very nice to see you here   :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 03:55:25 PM
Great pics Peacent and welcome back fivesense!!  :cheers:
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00