Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitools vs. SAK multis

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Multitools vs. SAK multis
Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 06:35:58 PM
I'm kinda like aloha. I've swapped my thoughts on this a lot. However I always seem to gravitate towards the Skeletool. I'm not a fan or the bigger leatherman's or MTs. I find them too heavy/bulky to pocket carry. SAKs are small but lack on key feature for me, one hand open blades. The smaller MTs like a squirt are nice imo. If I'm looking for a companion to a dedicated folder it's a toss up between a SAK or small Mt. But if I can only pick one, the Skeletool cx wins every time.

Gotta be honest, the Skeletool does seem pretty practical if you need a decent pair of pliers in your edc without getting bulky.   Just checked.. guess they don't put the OH 111mm blade in a single layer?  :think: ???

I borrowed a friends 111 but I didn't care for it. The only part I liked was the OHO blade. But it was too bulky imo. I'd rather give up the OHO blade and carry a 91/93mm SAK. They ride much better in pocket.
Plus a single layer like a sentinel, it just not practical. Imo there are better dedicated OHO folders out there.
Now I've seen a mod that someone had swapped a small OHO blade( maybe spyderco)into a 91mm SAK (I think). That would be a pretty cool mod.
I've seen a 58mm with spyderco OHO blade. :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 06:54:32 PM
I'm kinda like aloha. I've swapped my thoughts on this a lot. However I always seem to gravitate towards the Skeletool. I'm not a fan or the bigger leatherman's or MTs. I find them too heavy/bulky to pocket carry. SAKs are small but lack on key feature for me, one hand open blades. The smaller MTs like a squirt are nice imo. If I'm looking for a companion to a dedicated folder it's a toss up between a SAK or small Mt. But if I can only pick one, the Skeletool cx wins every time.

Gotta be honest, the Skeletool does seem pretty practical if you need a decent pair of pliers in your edc without getting bulky.   Just checked.. guess they don't put the OH 111mm blade in a single layer?  :think: ???

I borrowed a friends 111 but I didn't care for it. The only part I liked was the OHO blade. But it was too bulky imo. I'd rather give up the OHO blade and carry a 91/93mm SAK. They ride much better in pocket.
Plus a single layer like a sentinel, it just not practical. Imo there are better dedicated OHO folders out there.
Now I've seen a mod that someone had swapped a small OHO blade( maybe spyderco)into a 91mm SAK (I think). That would be a pretty cool mod.
I've seen a 58mm with spyderco OHO blade. :rofl:
That could have been it. It was a while back.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 07:42:31 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.msg1230922.html#msg1230922

Hey that's the one I saw! Good find Aloha.

Syphs Ti 58mm with honey bee blade is so darn sweet.  I dreamed of that SAK for months afterwards. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:32 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.msg1230922.html#msg1230922

Hey that's the one I saw! Good find Aloha.

Syphs Ti 58mm with honey bee blade is so darn sweet.  I dreamed of that SAK for months afterwards.
Yea it really is

it Offline danilo

Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 12:14:09 AM
I usually get one of my MT for anything I need to do, from (un) screwing some screws to cut open a box to change the filter of the faucets (excuse me if they have a proper name, I'm not aware of it). I use my only SAK mainly for the blade or to open a beer. but then... it's a picknicker, it doesn't have much tools anyway...

I love my crunch when it comes to squeeze down something
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:15:29 AM by danilo »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 11:08:07 AM
I usually get one of my MT for anything I need to do, from (un) screwing some screws to cut open a box to change the filter of the faucets (excuse me if they have a proper name, I'm not aware of it). I use my only SAK mainly for the blade or to open a beer. but then... it's a picknicker, it doesn't have much tools anyway...

I love my crunch when it comes to squeeze down something

Nice to hear the different opinions on this  :cheers:

Never really quite had the idea so many guys would reach out for their Multi's or Sak's to use as tools with real proper tools close and readily available to use, and only using them when ever the Multi os Sak wasn't up to the job  :think:

I've always view'd a Multi as either a portable "toolbox" for small quick tasks (small assembly, adjusting, etc...) in that makes no sense in bringing along a full dedicated tool box, or to use in situations when you need a tool to fix something in a pinch and you are not near "real" tools or have any with you, but never to use as a primary "tool box" for most jobs.

Maybe is because i've always been around loads of tools and mechanics all my life (influences from my Dad and Granddad), that it makes more sense to me when doing an intensive tool usage job or task  if i need a pliers to grab a proper pliers (right size and type) for the job than folding or unfolding a MT to get the pliers out and use it, than needing a screwdriver and folding or unfolding the MT again to use the SD when i can just grab a real SR (right size and shape), or any other tool i might need...  :ahhh

But it's worth mentioning, i don't really use or need to use tools professionally, if i did i would probably go to a MT more often for the light weight and portability VS a real tool box.

I probably have more professional dedicated tools as a "non professional" tool user than some some professionals do...:facepalm:
From pliers os all sizes and shapes, to wrenches, to screwdrivers, to hammers, to saws, to dedicated car tools, to power tools of all kinds, to electricity/electronics tools, to...  :ahhh :ahhh :drink:

Ok, i'll shut up now, before you all burn the heretic....  :twak: :ahhh :twak: :ahhh :twak: >:D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:11:14 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

it Offline danilo

Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 11:19:31 AM
[...]
But it's worth mentioning, i don't really use or need to use tools professionally, if i did i would probably go to a MT more often for the light weight and portability VS a real tool box.
[...]

I'm under the impression it would be the contrary for me: if I were to use tools professionally, I may have better specialized tools, and wouldn't use MT that much... but who knows, I just use the tools for small stuff at home, fixing electronics things and the like...

in any case, since I have spent a considerable amount of money on multitools, it makes sense to use them, don't you think? :)

Danilo

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 11:37:07 AM
[...]
[...]

I'm under the impression it would be the contrary for me: if I were to use tools professionally, I may have better specialized tools, and wouldn't use MT that much... but who knows, I just use the tools for small stuff at home, fixing electronics things and the like...

in any case, since I have spent a considerable amount of money on multitools, it makes sense to use them, don't you think? :)

Danilo

You're right, i forgot to mention the context in what i think the MT would be better to use professionally, i was referring to small adjusting or assembly jobs not to tool intensive that would pay off in portability and weight just to take an MT along  :)

Of course it makes all the sense to use them, but i was just refereeing to the specific scenario when you have your "regular" tools near you to use but choose to use a MT instead...   :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 06:15:27 PM
I'll use professional, dedicated tools when available. The SAKs are for fun, and for outdoors chores where I don't have any other tools.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 08:20:59 PM
The first MT i got was a hand me down SAK explorer with the old magnifying glasses. I tried carrying leathermans specifically the wave because I was attracted to the big beefy pliers and wire cutter feature. In the end I felt it is a hassle to open up the leatherman just to get to the pliers, i do a lot of wire cutting and plier needs. In the end I moved back to SAKs because it just works.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 08:40:29 PM
Ok. So what's the least expensive SAK model with pliers on them?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 08:45:06 PM
Ok. So what's the least expensive SAK model with pliers on them?

The Mechanic, if you can still find one. Or the Deluxe Tinker  :think:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 09:13:47 PM
Or Angler?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 09:17:19 PM
Arbitrary webshop: Angler €40.19, Deluxe Tinker €42.93. You can find both new for quite some less.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 09:40:51 PM
I'll be looking into these more, wouldn't mind having one at some point. But looking at the pliers, they seem to be in a completely different league than the Leathermans. Plus, no wire cutters, hard or soft.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:08 PM
A little sidetrack on the topic of using a MT professionally: Some years ago I hired a company to do some electric installation work. That included lots of screwdriving. They arrived in a well equipped van. I left them to their own devices, but before lunch I went by to have a look at their progress.

I got surprised and had some indelicate smurfing thoughts when I realized that the main guy was using a multi-tool for the screwdriving instead of a faster dedicated screwdriver -  or better yet, an electric one.

To me a multi-tool makes perfect sense in a professional setting for small tasks that comes up, or when dedicated tools are not possible to drag along or just far away. But if a professional have all the proper dedicated tools well within reach, but instead decide to use a multitool for a major and easily planned task, and then charges by the hour... That company wasn't hired again.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:21 PM
Although vics pliers are handy for small jobs,there not a patch on larger LM pliers, don't get me wrong I love sak's but I prefer say the juices pliers as more leverage,I personaly don't find it a hassle opening up a LM or other MT's to get to the pliers etc,it all comes down to what works for you in your life  :tu: when I did the maitanence job I had all dedicated tools,but as it was a big building a MT came in handy on more than one occasion, and bigger pliers are very usefull  :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 07, 2017, 01:14:39 AM
Interesting debates people.

For me I do not have a job that needs tools (office) - But I am reasonably practical, love DIY, woodwork, and am always fixing things and tinkering around   :D

I would say I nearly always do use a SAK or multi over a dedicated tool
- I refuse to use the term 'real' or 'proper' tool - as SAKs and multis are proper tools!!
Two reasons for this:
  • I like using them !!
  • They are always, without question, the most convenient to access, at least in my environment
This is because I always have a SAK in my pocket weekdays
- And usually a pliers based in pocket or on belt at the weekend (Juice or Spirit!)  :tu:
There are also SAKs and multis scattered everywhere around the house  :D
...... Bedside drawer, kitchen drawer, in the car, in the desk, bathroom cabinet (Classic for nails), in the occasional table in the hallway - You get the picture  :D
I have a reasonable set of tools in my tool box in the garage.
However I do have a Supertool 300 in the cupboard in the garage where my tool box is - I often use that as it saves me the massive inconvenience :o of opening the tool box   ;) 

Having said all that - I was once in a situation (up a ladder installing a new light on the ceiling, I think) - with my Supertool, when I needed pliers, screwdrivers and blade - It was definitely a bit of a pain opening and closing the whole thing up constantly - Dedicated tools definitely better if you are constantly switching.

The other time I definitely prefer dedicated tools is if I am dong a lot of screwing - (ahem) - Eg assembling something
I don't find the multi SDs that convenient/easy/comfortable for long periods of screwing with multiple screws
- Mainly I think as a dedicated SD handle is very comfortable to use - whereas a multi is not
And I have a ratchet SD in my tool box - which of course makes screwing very easy and quick.

Edit PS. And if I am doing a big job, as opposed to fixing/small job/tinkering etc then usually dedicated tools, but occasionally a sprinkling of mulltis too, if the specific tool is needed (eg knife blade/wire striper/file sometimes/small pliers)   

So I think in summary - Dedicated tools always better and easier - Multis always more convenient - Available, lighter, more transportable etc etc   
My two penneth!!  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:14:47 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline 4everYoung

Multitools vs. SAK multis
Reply #51 on: July 07, 2017, 03:47:18 AM
I'll be looking into these more, wouldn't mind having one at some point. But looking at the pliers, they seem to be in a completely different league than the Leathermans. Plus, no wire cutters, hard or soft.
I bought a SAK Mechanic some time ago just for the Vic pliers. I wanted to try them out. At first I wasn't that impressed with them. Then I figured out their niche in my pocket space. I was trying to use the mechanic as a substitute for my Skeletool. It simply feels don't stack up in the plier dept.
However once I started treating more like squirt pliers. They became more useful. The mechanic become a great pairing with a folder for like duty days.
It's my second most carries SAK now. Only behind my rambler that's on my keychain.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:49:50 AM by 4everYoung »

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:46 AM
I bought a SAK Mechanic some time ago just for the Vic pliers. I wanted to try them out. At first I wasn't that impressed with them. Then I figured out their niche in my pocket space. I was trying to use the mechanic as a substitute for my Skeletool. It simply feels don't stack up in the plier dept.
However once I started treating more like squirt pliers. They became more useful. The mechanic become a great pairing with a folder for like duty days.
It's my second most carries SAK now. Only behind my rambler that's on my keychain.
(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks for that honest opinion. I appreciate it. I'm going to put a SAK with pliers on my want list. I just feel I need them to be comforatable. Thanks for the pic too  :climber:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #53 on: July 07, 2017, 11:20:44 AM
i used the awl on my Core to make about 20 holes in leather. It was a pain in the hand, really.
After the thing my hand was red and hurt, so much pressing and twisting around the Core's handles...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: July 07, 2017, 03:53:04 PM
Multitool.  Have one on you for the UNINTENDED fix.

Dedicated Tools.  In a bag or tool box for jobs you know you'll need them. 

SAK.  Always on you, great for the MacGuyver in all us.

So, I see a MT as the perfect insurance for anyone, professional or not.  You arrive and have no clue what tools you'll need.  You lug a bag full of tools no problem but also have your MT on you.  As you ascend the ladder or crawl into a tight space the issue can be resolved with your experience and MT.  No need to get back to your tool bag, problem solved.

I've been on jobs where I had no clue I'd even need tools.  Sure enough something need a tighten or loosen and thankfully I've had my MT otherwise I'd need to fetch a tool off the truck.  In the grander scheme of things not a big deal but time is money.     
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 07, 2017, 04:03:15 PM
Multitool.  Have one on you for the UNINTENDED fix.

Dedicated Tools.  In a bag or tool box for jobs you know you'll need them. 

SAK.  Always on you, great for the MacGuyver in all us.

So, I see a MT as the perfect insurance for anyone, professional or not.  You arrive and have no clue what tools you'll need.  You lug a bag full of tools no problem but also have your MT on you.  As you ascend the ladder or crawl into a tight space the issue can be resolved with your experience and MT.  No need to get back to your tool bag, problem solved.

I've been on jobs where I had no clue I'd even need tools.  Sure enough something need a tighten or loosen and thankfully I've had my MT otherwise I'd need to fetch a tool off the truck.  In the grander scheme of things not a big deal but time is money.     

I couldn't have put it better myself.  +1 mate!!   :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #56 on: July 07, 2017, 11:21:38 PM
+2!!
Barry

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: July 07, 2017, 11:40:58 PM
+3  :salute:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 08, 2017, 08:36:57 PM
I didn't know where to put this and can probably also venture on over to the Leatherman and Gerber sections. I imagine there's plenty of crossover though.

In general, do you use the traditional multitools (i.e. Leatherman Wave/Swisstool/Gerber Diesel) for heavier duty work and the SAKs (Swiss Champ, etc...) for regular daily tasks? Kind of a clumsy question as "heavier duty" and "regular daily tasks" are subjective. Not only that, but there are so many options in size and weight I suppose it's really just personal preference.

I've used my Leatherman Skeletool CX for cutting, tightening screws, plier tasks, but generally nothing my Swiss Champ can't handle. For me, if I start getting into "heavier duty" tasks, I head to the tool box for the appropriate single tool. But for most of what I come across during the day, I love the "toolbox" convenience of my individual SAKs.

The main reason I got back into SAKs is that I was on my back deck a couple weeks ago and had to pull up a few 2x6 boards. Some of the old screws were deeply embedded and filled in with dirt. To gain purchase on them with my drill, I had to clean out the screw heads and in an effort to be "convenient" I poked around with the blade of my Mora Companion; it and my Skeletool were on my belt but I figured I'd bang around with the less expensive Mora. Well, mission accomplished but with some dings to the blade (which I easily remedied on the sharpener and whetstone. It made me realize the benefit of an awl, which even the Skeletool doesn't have.

So for roughly the same weight as the Skeletool CX, I can get 3x the functionality with a Swiss Champ or similar. Plus, the additional tools mean I will more often have the right tool for the job. Sure, I can get this with many of the other traditional multitools, but often at a much heavier weight. So the conclusion to this rambling missive is that I'm leaning more toward SAK for multi-tool functionality. I still love Leatherman etc... but my little red toolbox is now my EDC.

I own Leatherman Charge TTI's, Surges, Supertools, and Victorinox Swisstools, and a lot of the various Victorinox line ( I used to be a Vic dealer)

My preference for everyday carry is the Swiss Champ. I have carried one since they first came out.

As far as the plier-based multi-tools go, I prefer the Leatherman Supertool 300.

If I had a job where I needed full size pliers all the time, I would carry both a Supertool 300 and a Swiss Champ.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%