Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Warranty Experiences/Turnaround time?

us Offline sonarsessions

Leatherman Warranty Experiences/Turnaround time?
on: July 07, 2017, 05:03:26 PM
Hi all,

So I recently sent in my Leatherman blast that was pretty rough around the edges, had a broken mini flathead, and a stripped flathead screwdriver for warranty work, and figured I would ask how your experience was with Leatherman's warranty? It isn't imperative that I get it back immediately (they got it on 29 June) as I also have a Leatherman Wave, but I figured I would see how the turnaround time was for warranty work. Also, from what I've been reading, the Blast was discontinued some time ago - any chance they'd be able to get me a refurb'd old stock, or will they be switching it with a new model? All of the topics I see on this when I Google are from more than a year ago, so I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks!

us Offline The Tool Guy

Re: Leatherman Warranty Experiences/Turnaround time?
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:04 PM
I have used the warranty twice, once with two tools and the other with one. They both took about a week from me leaving them at the post office to me opening them back up. They usually just replaced my tool, but I have never sent in a retired model. I live in the Northeast US.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:47:08 PM
I've used it twice and got a new replacement in 5days tops  :salute: great service  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:11:34 PM
In my experiences turnaround time varies from 1 - 3 weeks. If it is a discontinued model and you did not mark the paperwork as sentimental they may replace it with another tool. I can't remember what they replace the Blast with.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:15:11 PM
My experience with them is the same as above. Pretty quick turnaround. I expect you will be receiving a Rebar as a replacement.

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:58 PM
I sent a kick and an original supertool in a few years ago and they replaced them both. They actually replaced the ST with an original one. I was happily surprised. I figured they would send back a Core (which was the equivalent at the time). Turnaround was about 10 days door to door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"

us Offline sonarsessions

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 08:37:42 PM
Thanks for the responses! I did fill out the paperwork and still have a copy with the reference number for the warranty work. I might call to follow up today, but am in the process of apartment hunting, so thats been taking up the majority of my time lately.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 03:54:52 AM
what shipping service did leatherman use to return your items?

Still waiting to get my skele back, it's been two weeks

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 04:15:49 AM
what shipping service did leatherman use to return your items?

Still waiting to get my skele back, it's been two weeks
I think it was USPS Priority mail.

"

us Offline slemp

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:25 AM
I think you will get a wave back.on the 3rd I sent in a pst and a pst2 I know that I'll get a rebar probably 2 .b7ut the leatherman chat I may get a rebar and a wave.so who knows

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 04:21:37 PM
has anyone had their warranty claims rejected?  If so did they notify you?

Still waiting for my skele...the tracking number shows it was delivered to them on june 21st.  I'm sure it'll be here in the next couple days  :gimme:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 09:28:05 PM

Still waiting for my skele...the tracking number shows it was delivered to them on june 21st.  I'm sure it'll be here in the next couple days  :gimme:

I have heard of a few rejections but it's not likely.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 09:43:05 PM

Call them and see what they're going to do. I've sent tools in that they replaced, those came back fast. Other tools that were repaired took longer to get back. I seriously doubt your claim will be rejected. Leatherman has one of the best warranty programs I've come across, and honestly if has Leatherman on it they warranty it from my experience.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:56 PM
thanks.

I'll give it a little more time before calling....I'm not really that concerned, it was more a curiosity if people had ever been turned down.

Offline mtn

Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 06:53:43 PM
I've sent items in twice; both times I sent in 2 items.

First time they actually messed up; they didn't give a replacement for one of the items. The first item was replaced within 3 weeks; I waited another week and contacted them asking about the second--they got a replacement in about 3-4 days for that one.

The second time, they were repaired items and I think the turnaround time was around 3.5 weeks--that time they were stuck on a UPS truck for about 8 days.

I'm consistently impressed by their return/replacement/repair policy. On one hand I feel bad because I've ended up selling 3/4 replacement/repaired items (the one sentimental one was not sold, obviously), but on the other hand I'm a relatively frequent customer for them.

EDIT: For inquiring minds, I still own 3 or 4 Leathermans (one may be lost) and have gifted two away. The ones that I had repaired I was explicit in my description of how I obtained them--used and already damaged--and they told me to send them in. I ended up selling them because I just didn't use them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:25:21 PM by mtn »

us Offline slemp

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 11:06:14 PM
Just talked to someone on Leatherman chat they are just opening returns they got on 6-21-17 she told me from the time they open the return it's 20 day turn around

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:45:54 AM
Just talked to someone on Leatherman chat they are just opening returns they got on 6-21-17 she told me from the time they open the return it's 20 day turn around

wow thanks for asking about it :multi:

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:58 AM
An update on my end:  I got an email from leatherman today with a ups tracking number and a note that it was on it's way!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:12 AM
 :tu:

us Offline slemp

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 03:10:37 AM
 :like:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:47:29 PM
In the UK I sent in a Squirt S4 that had a broken lanyard ring (I could not attach it to my key ring).  The outside coating of the S4 was pretty scratched up, but the tools were fine and the scissors were still excellent.  I sent to the authorised Leatherman place, Whitby & Co.  A week later I got back a new Micra.  I paid outgoing postage, they paid the return postage.

Unfortunately in the UK, while the S4 (or any Juice or Squirt or Style) are legal carry, the Micra is technically probably not.  :facepalm:

I was going to return the Micra for a Style CS, but my wife saw the Micra and confiscated it for herself to use around the home.  Happy ending.  :)

us Offline slemp

Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:19 AM
An update on my end:  I got an email from leatherman today with a ups tracking number and a note that it was on it's way!
       let us know what they did .replaced it if so what with ? Or fixed it

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:11 PM
       let us know what they did .replaced it if so what with ? Or fixed it

got a package from Oregon today! 
They replaced it.  I guess there is a first generation skele and second generation and this one is the latter.

thank you leatherman!

So my experience was a month turnaround time.  I'm totally cool with that except in that time I bought a SOG power access, a LM signal and just got a LM mini-tool :facepalm:  man these MT's are addictive!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 12:11:32 AM
 :tu: :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 12:35:02 AM
They replaced it.  I guess there is a first generation skele and second generation and this one is the latter.

What blade was on the original Vs the replacement one? And is it the vanilla Skele or CX?

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 04:42:30 AM
i sent in vanilla skele with the combo blade and got vanilla skele with combo blade.  sorry for any confusion.

here's a video showing the differences between the first and second generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZKpCh7RykY

us Offline sonarsessions

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 02:29:02 PM
Well it looks like it took just under 25 days but the mailman finally had something from Leatherman - looked inside and found a nylon pouch with a Rebar instruction manual, and to my surprise when opening the sheath, it was a Wave!

Leatherman went above and beyond on this one. Kudos!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 03:13:22 PM
Well it looks like it took just under 25 days but the mailman finally had something from Leatherman - looked inside and found a nylon pouch with a Rebar instruction manual, and to my surprise when opening the sheath, it was a Wave!

Leatherman went above and beyond on this one. Kudos!
:tu:
Customer service! :hatsoff:

(Now, wheres Outback in Idaho?  :whistle: )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
(Now, wheres Outback in Idaho?  :whistle: )
He's probably out back somewhere.... in Idaho....  :facepalm:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 04:37:28 AM
Got a Leatherman Wingman a few weeks ago second hand and the liner lock for the blade was broken. Did not appear to have been abused or even sharpened and the rest of the tool is fine. I had considered just leaving it as is but someone said that Leatherman will warranty it even though I am not the original purchaser.
Is there a set procedure I have to go through such as contacting them first? I've never had to send anything in to anyone for warranty work(except an Invicta watch and that was a nightmare!). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%