Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first SAK "mod"

00 Offline fivesense

My first SAK "mod"
on: July 08, 2017, 02:21:12 AM
I did my first "mod" to a SAK today. I turned my Explorer into an Explorer Plus by adding the appropriate 91mm scales, as well as the requisite mini screwdriver, pen, and straight pin. It was an easy process, made more so by partnering with my Swiss Champ to do the "surgery!" The 2.5mm screwdriver(?) (shown extended) is the perfect size for removing scales.

Now, do I do the same to my Huntsman BSA? If so, blue, green or orange? Or something even cooler..?
FullSizeRender-24.jpg
* FullSizeRender-24.jpg (Filesize: 282.52 KB)
FullSizeRender-23.jpg
* FullSizeRender-23.jpg (Filesize: 238.69 KB)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:22:48 AM by fivesense »
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: My first SAK "mod"
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 02:24:42 AM
 :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:19:02 AM
 Nice work on the mod Doug... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 04:22:04 AM
Love the ruby scales :dd: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:26:16 AM
 :like: Nice job!!
Barry

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:37:46 AM
Thanks All!

Question- how easily do the translucent scales mar/scratch? I had my Huntsman with regular cellidor in my pocket for two days and it already got pretty beat up. Do the translucents scratch as easily? I try to carry in a sheath as much as possible, which has kept my Swiss Champ translucent scales looking good.

Ultimately it's not that big a deal; it doesn't affect the performance of the SAK and they are easy to change out when necessary (as I just learned!).

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 06:39:29 AM
Nice work!

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:55:53 AM
Thanks All!

Question- how easily do the translucent scales mar/scratch? I had my Huntsman with regular cellidor in my pocket for two days and it already got pretty beat up. Do the translucents scratch as easily? I try to carry in a sheath as much as possible, which has kept my Swiss Champ translucent scales looking good.

Ultimately it's not that big a deal; it doesn't affect the performance of the SAK and they are easy to change out when necessary (as I just learned!).

I'd say they scratch just as easily as the reg cellidor.  Sheaths definitely help... I personally don't mind a little love on the scales...  silver alox don't care about no scratchin', it be like "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger."   :facepalm:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:23:55 AM
Thanks All!

I'd say they scratch just as easily as the reg cellidor.  Sheaths definitely help... I personally don't mind a little love on the scales...  silver alox don't care about no scratchin', it be like "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger."   :facepalm:

If they made Alox Plus scales, I'd be all over them. That would make me as unique as 100,000+ other SAK owners!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:52:32 PM
Thanks All!

Looki'n good mate  :like:

About scratches on Cellidor scales with regular pocket wear, the scales do scratch fairly easy, hair line scratches anyway...
A sheath may help, but quite honestly do you really want take the sak out of your pocket when you need it then heaving to take it out of the sheath just to use it...? At least for me it's not really practical or very aesthetically pleasing.

I carry my sak's loose in the pocket and i have almost no wear or scratches on my scales because i'm very mindful of what i put in my pocket's along with my sak's.
I always have my sak on my right front pants pocket and the only thing i have and put in that pocket is my coin holder that's a small leather sheath that holds my coins and some hex bits and keeps the sak snug vertically on the pocket, and being soft leather it won't scratch the scales in anyway. Lately i bought a silicone rubbery coin holder that sits more solidly full or empty.
Of course i never put anything else in that pocket along with my sak's. My latest small Tinker i've been carrying 24/7 the last 2 or 3 months only has microscopic hair line scratches from the fabric, it's still shining and new as the day i bought it  :D

However, this is from a guy that wear's jeans 95% of the time, so with other types of pocket's it may be different to carry that comfortably without a clip or something... :think:

It will get more scratches eventually from use, but certainly not from normal pocket carry  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:00:52 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 01:57:14 PM
I might be wierd but all my SAK are users and scratches from a life well used are just storytellers.. I carry mine in the same pocket as me housekey both gets used several times a day and lives happily together.. I do have a huntsman with Ruby scales that lives the same way for a week at the time and looks like this after many moons

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 02:16:05 PM
I might be wierd but all my SAK are users and scratches from a life well used are just storytellers.. I carry mine in the same pocket as me housekey both gets used several times a day and lives happily together.. I do have a huntsman with Ruby scales that lives the same way for a week at the time and looks like this after many moons

(Image removed from quote.)

Tip: if you want to show scratches, angled light sources and angled photos are best.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 02:21:06 PM

Tip: if you want to show scratches, angled light sources and angled photos are best.  :tu:
I was worried of this.. I'm at work right now and this was the only pic of my huntsman I had on my phone.. If I remember I can take a new one when I get home?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 04:01:39 PM

I was worried of this.. I'm at work right now and this was the only pic of my huntsman I had on my phone.. If I remember I can take a new one when I get home?

Its no problem.  :salute:

All hail the hook!

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 08:22:11 PM
As promised! This is pretty much how it looks everywhere but it's nothing you really notice.. Or at least not me

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 11:33:17 PM
As promised! This is pretty much how it looks everywhere but it's nothing you really notice.. Or at least not me

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

:cheers:
Now I'm trying to decide between Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Solid Green, and a few others..  :ahhh
Maybe Bi-colour?

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 11:40:41 PM
All great options but I vote for solid green.

They re Polish really well.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 12:08:27 AM
All great options but I vote for solid green.

They re Polish really well.
If I can find them...

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20