Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brainstorming Ideas for First Mod, Looking for Input

Offline StanleyKoolbrick

Hey, everyone, I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post.

Having read the how-to guide, I'd like to try making my first mod. I'm considering A) replacing the corkscrew on a Compact with a backside phillips, B) making a Yeoman, or C) making a Scientist and carrying scissors separately (either on another SAK or a full sized pair of dedicated scissors in my EDC bag). I'm interested in hearing some opinions on these ideas from those of you who have done the same mods or carried the same models. Any insight into practicality of carry, ease of modding, and outright coolness is especially welcomed.

To give you an idea of where I stand right now, I EDC either a Compact or an Explorer. I really like the size of the Compact, I am a huge fan of the mag/inline phillips layer, and I'm unsure if it'd be better to carry scissors somewhere besides my SAK.

So how do you guys think I should approach my first mod project?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Brainstorming Ideas for First Mod, Looking for Input
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:52:36 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

If it were me I would keep the scissors in the mod if you use them at all :salute: Good luck with the mod :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:19:13 AM
Welcome to MTO...

3 layer SAKs is ideal for edc... Yeoman would be nice... has all the tools found on the explorer minus the awl but in a compact version... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:05 AM
Another vote for Yeoman here - keeps the scissors and provides the in-line philips which is so much better than the back side one. Good luck with whatever you decide  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:36:41 PM

If it were me I would keep the scissors in the mod if you use them at all :salute: Good luck with the mod :tu:

:imws:

Scissors are a must for me. I have been carrying a mod very similar to your Compact mod for a while now, and really like it. However, I have had my Phillips requirement covered by the pliers tool it was carried with. If you are just going with the knife I would say Yeoman, but if carried with something else (that has a Phillips) I would say Compact.

(the back spring Phillips is more limited in terms of torque)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:44 PM
Speaking of torque and the backside Phillips...
Vic 111mm Backside Philips is PANTS!! (That's bad...)
Pity about the pics... Maybe someone can PM Mr.Whippy?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline StanleyKoolbrick

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:57 AM

Yeah, I've decided to go ahead and stick with the scissors. I like the idea of a scissorless SAK but, in reality, it's just not a very practical solution for me.

Offline StanleyKoolbrick

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 04:04:04 AM
Welcome to MTO...

3 layer SAKs is ideal for edc... Yeoman would be nice... has all the tools found on the explorer minus the awl but in a compact version... :cheers:

I think I'm gonna go ahead and attempt to make a Yeoman. I love the Explorer but the size bothers me. I'm actually okay with a 4 layer, but I'd prefer there to be either pliers or a saw if I'm gonna tote around something with that much bulk.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:11:01 AM
Welcome to MTO...

I think I'm gonna go ahead and attempt to make a Yeoman. I love the Explorer but the size bothers me. I'm actually okay with a 4 layer, but I'd prefer there to be either pliers or a saw if I'm gonna tote around something with that much bulk.
:like: :tu: :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:07 AM
Welcome to MTO...

Good luck with your mod :cheers:

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:47:36 PM
Welcome to MTO...

Why not throw a saw or pliers at the Yeoman then?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:50:04 PM
Didn't Folderbeholder have a yeoman ws (woodsaw) made for her? That was nice. I wonder where FB went?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 04:38:19 PM
I too wonder where FB went...

Here's my Yeoman WS... it differs a bit from FB's. Her's has the fine sd instead of awl... Haven't carried this one for a while... Hmmm... maybe tomorrow then... :cheers:

There's another member here, classicrock, who made a Yeoman Mechanic (Yeoman + Pliers)... Another member, fong, did a Yeoman + MS + WS... He calls it the Cutmaster.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:42:05 PM by jaya_man »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 04:41:55 PM
You should spend a week sitting on the naughty step just for not carrying that beauty J-Man. Except you have some difficult choices to make so you are forgiven. I am beneficent  :salute:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 05:46:31 PM
Didn't Folderbeholder have a yeoman ws (woodsaw) made for her? That was nice. I wonder where FB went?

I msgd her a week or two ago, she is awlive and well.  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 08:23:25 PM
You should spend a week sitting on the naughty step just for not carrying that beauty J-Man. Except you have some difficult choices to make so you are forgiven. I am beneficent  :salute:
Yeah I do... soo many to choose from... :lol:

Offline StanleyKoolbrick

Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 08:53:50 PM
Welcome to MTO...

Pliers would be pretty useful to me...unfortunately I don't have any pliers to use. And getting a donor, even a used item, would be a little pricey for me considering I'm gonna have to get my hands on a ball-peen hammer to even get started.

If I could find a donor quickly and cheaply, it might be an option as I do think the Yeoman Mechanic is insanely cool.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 09:23:05 PM
Welcome to MTO...

Pliers would be pretty useful to me...unfortunately I don't have any pliers to use. And getting a donor, even a used item, would be a little pricey for me considering I'm gonna have to get my hands on a ball-peen hammer to even get started.

If I could find a donor quickly and cheaply, it might be an option as I do think the Yeoman Mechanic is insanely cool.
Hey pisst. I did my mods with no ball preen hammer. Not ideal, but it worked when I figured how to preen nicely(after lots of badly made rivets.  :facepalm: )
And a cheap 4oz hammer is only less than $15 dollars anyway, much less if you find an old one at a flea market or car boot sale.  :pok:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 05:13:35 AM
Welcome to MTO...

A cheap handyman/craftsman and compact are parts that you need... you might even get to reuse the pins for your yeoman mechanic build... :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 04:13:27 PM

I msgd her a week or two ago, she is awlive and well.  :D
Coolio - Muchos Gracias Big Chee  :cheers:

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 11:36:18 PM

There's another member here, classicrock, who made a Yeoman Mechanic (Yeoman + Pliers)... Another member, fong, did a Yeoman + MS + WS... He calls it the Cutmaster.

Yep it's been a year and the Yeoman Mechanic still one of my favorite SAK.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 11:37:23 PM

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Forgive me if you've already posted this somewhere, but what for what tasks do you find yourself using the pliers?  :cheers:

id Offline classicrock

Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:02 PM

Forgive me if you've already posted this somewhere, but what for what tasks do you find yourself using the pliers?  :cheers:
I found the small pliers very useful for me, that is why pliers is a must on every SAK I carry.

Use it to pull car fuse, staples, or other small repairs in my daily activity.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 11:49:10 PM

I found the small pliers very useful for me, that is why pliers is a must on every SAK I carry.

That's legit.  :cheers:

id Offline classicrock

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 11:54:43 PM

That's legit.  :cheers:
:cheers: El C

But since 2 days ago I carry my Deluxe Tinker, because pliers is a must

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30